LG G5 initial impressions

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
simple answer: because soon TV (yt) will be 4k and monitors too so using the same resolution is nice and will come in handy for more productivity work.

Having seen the S7 now I think it looks more elegant but not as feature rich

The human eye can barely distinguish between 1080p and 2K. You don't need it. Nobody needs it, unless you're just wanting your battery to die that much quicker because that would definitely happen.

sholling

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Overall I like the design, especially the quick change battery and microSD card (a 2nd microSD slot would have been a killer feature), but I agree with others that are disappointed by the smaller battery. I'd have happily accepted a 1mm thicker phone in exchange for a 3200mAh battery. I'm also not thrilled with the modules or the lack of an app drawer. My guess is that LG will sell a few over-priced camera modules to vacationers, but almost no way-overpriced B&O modules (B&O is synonymous with overpriced style over function). I'd much rather see a better built-in 24bit DAC and more powerful amp in the phone itself.

The handicap of the missing app drawer can be party overcome by using a mega-folder to store misc apps that you don't use often, but I'm wondering how they'll handle widgets. Some of the apps that I use daily offer the choice of 3-5 widgets and I don't want them all dumped on the desktop.

I'm pretty happy with my LG G4 so I'll wait for in-depth review and battery life reports before I make up my mind about upgrading to the G5.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
simple answer: because soon TV (yt) will be 4k and monitors too so using the same resolution is nice and will come in handy for more productivity work.

Having seen the S7 now I think it looks more elegant but not as feature rich

Just because tvs and monitors have 4k capability doesn't mean the cable providers will air in 4k though. Not anytime soon.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Just because tvs and monitors have 4k capability doesn't mean the cable providers will air in 4k though. Not anytime soon.

If you wait on cable providers then you would only upgrade your phone every 5-10 years. 4k Blu-ray players out this year (1 model already out), Netflix and Vudu both on board for 4k, so the content is coming.

crazyralph90

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I love the modular approach, it is thinking outside of the box and way different then any other large smartphone manufacturer..
But...2800Mah? ..Really? Unless LG has fine tuned its performance this will die so fast, my G4 and V10 could watch like 2 hours a video and normal use and die in like 8 hours. Yes removable battery helps but still kind of disappointing.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it looks like an interesting device, doing some very interesting things that no one else is doing, but a few things kinda confuse me:

- It's dropped in screen size (from 5.5" to 5.3") yet the device is taller overall (149.4mm vs 148.9mm) sure it's not a great deal, but with a smaller screen, I would have thought they'd be able to make the phone smaller and more compact.

- Moving to a smaller battery is also a bit disappointing. Samsung managed to put a 3,000mah battery in their 5.1" device and a 3,600mah battery in their 5.5" device. Would have liked to have seen at least 3,000mah.

- The modular design is very interesting and clever. I like the idea of it and the implementation seems to be pretty well thought out. I like that they offer the functionality of removable battery for those who do really want it, and still offer a full metal unibody design.

- Speaking of the full metal unibody design, I'm amazed that there are no antenna lines on the device and that they managed to hide them within the build somehow. That's remarkable to me. Hope more OEM's manage to do this in the future.

- Design....yeah I can't say it's an attractive phone. I don't like the design much at all.

- Software also not a fan of the software. Some really strange decisions they're making. I get why they're doing it, want it to stay simple for the user, but I'd be downloading Nova as soon as I turned it on.

- Cameras look great. G4 had a great camera last year, I'd imagine the G5 would have an even better one.

Overall it's an interesting device with a few quirks and questionable aspects, but I'm sure it'll be a great phone. Snapdragon 820 and 4gb ram sounds great.

Alejandro Rawrs

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
A big No for me was when I saw the new and smaller battery I just dont think that's a step anyone should be taking we're in no position to be sacrificing battery. And I was also far more impressed by the G4 than by the G5, the new design is noooot good, I love mi G4 is so sleek and elegant and BLACK I mean I love the new metal body and all but the G4 had this awe effect that I did miss on this new model.

Besides from that I am LOVING the sound Module/Friend or whatever, I just love sound improvements on any phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci