LG G5 initial impressions

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I love that it feels like something new. For once I didn't even seek out info about the screen or battery. It's kind of a fascinating device. I think the modules have loads of potential. I like the design language of the modules. It is subtle and I think the audio module is a really good idea.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I just found out that they killed off QSlide and Dual Window.

As I use those 2 features on a daily basis, this is a massive deal breaker for me.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty excited about the audio module, and am doubly excited that it works without the G5.

I'm disappointed that they did not leave adoptable storage in. This will affect future updates, device security, and potentially the way apps behave and perform on the device.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
overall I'm impressed

Pros:
- SD 820
- premium built while still keeping the removable battery
- sd card slot
- modules I think they do have a lot of potential but will rise and fall with 3 party support

Cons:
- Software seriously no app drawer, dual window ? that's just bad decision making. Nova, Apex are an instant installation
-- seriously keep the stock look and just improve the features without creating such a childish almost TW like skin
- volume rocker why not 2 separate buttons for that?
- no physical home, back and recent apps button :(
- no 4k display
- no OLED screen
- no dedicated profile switcher

indifferent:
- always on display hope this can be disabled
- fingerprint scanner
- camera
-

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
overall I'm impressed

Pros:
- SD 820
- sd card slot
- modules I think they do have a lot of potential but will rise and fall with 3 party support

Cons:
- Software seriously no app drawer, dual window ? that's just bad decision making. Nova, Apex are an instant installation
-- seriously keep the stock look and just improve the features without creating such a childish almost TW like skin
- no 4k display
- no OLED screen

indifferent:
- fingerprint scanner
- camera
-

Curious to know why you would want a 4K display on a phone?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
overall I'm impressed

Pros:
- SD 820
- sd card slot

Cons:
- no 4k display
- no OLED screen

indifferent:
- fingerprint scanner
- camera
-

I agree with most of your points. Though we don't need 4K. I don't care for OLED but I know a lot of people do. The UI is my biggest grip. It seems like an afterthought for them. That's my concern, so much focus on the hardware when their hardware is fine, save for the motherboard/boot loop issue, but I think that resolves for the G5. Great design language. FIX YOUR SOFTWARE.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Overall, no big deal, just like any other phone that will be released this year...it's all incremental improvements with some manufacturer's twists that hopefully catch on.

Face it, we're in an age of low innovation with these things that just isn't that ground breaking. I'll keep my G4...for a while. The only thing that might make me switch is the smaller GS7 which fits my pockets better, however their non-replaceable battery blunder will keep me in the G4.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Overall, no big deal, just like any other phone that will be released this year...it's all incremental improvements with some manufacturer's twists that hopefully catch on.

Face it, we're in an age of low innovation with these things that just isn't that ground breaking. I'll keep my G4...for a while. The only thing that might make me switch is the smaller GS7 which fits my pockets better, however their non-replaceable battery blunder will keep me in the G4.

I tend to agree with the second paragraph. There was a time where OEM's were pushing major hardware and software improvements. That's not to say that's a bad thing. Improvements, whether small or large are always good if done right.

aluckyman

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
The design is overdone by a weird way. Not my type.
1. For the audio module, I prefer it as built-in, default for being the flagship model.
2. The battery seems not large enough.
3. The external storage handling is a step backward.
4. I don't think many will go and get an extra camera module for the sake of taking pics. Again I prefer it upgrade its built-in camera as default.

All in all, I prefer the G4 routine or V10. This radical design is not my type.

Posted via the Android Central App

Hdima010

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Everything was perfect for me until I got to the software. Why the heck did they remove QSlide Apps, Dual Window, folder colours, and home buttons customisation? Found it totally unnecessary, they only had to redesign the UI in my opinion, not kill its main features! They also removed the app drawer but thats not a deal breaker for me, you can install another launcher or simply create a new folder with all the apps in it... but there is no way to bring the other features back! Come on LG!... However, I still find this device way more exciting than the Samsung Galaxy line, which in my opinion, has become extremely boring.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Everything was perfect for me until I got to the software. Why the heck did they remove QSlide Apps, Dual Window, folder colours, and home buttons customisation? Found it totally unnecessary, they only had to redesign the UI in my opinion, not kill its main features! They also removed the app drawer but thats not a deal breaker for me, you can install another launcher or simply create a new folder with all the apps in it... but there is no way to bring the other features back! Come on LG!... However, I still find this device way more exciting than the Samsung Galaxy line, which in my opinion, has become extremely boring.

I must've missed this part. Where was this part of the reviews?

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Complete disappointment. Here's why, based on the G4:

- The phone looks horrendous. The design looks like the result of drunk s*x between an iPhone and a generic Chinese device.

- The UI is horrendous! Not only everything went white instead of darker, the lack of the app drawer is inadmissible on Android, making the G5 UI look just like another iPhone rip off. And yes, there are Launchers etc etc etc. But normal users don't use Launchers and they'll have a diminished experience. And no, I don't buy the "market research" excuse.

- It loses Qi charging, which I'm not OK with at all.

- It seems to lose the IR blaster too.

- It still lacks a dedicated camera button built into the body of the phone.

- USB-C. This would be a complete deal breaker to me if the UI hadn't done it already. USB-C offers zero REAL advantages over a microUSB. On the other hand it gives you an enormous headache because it renders all your home cables useless.

- The battery was reduced but they kept a 2K display. I don't care how well the SD820 may be with energy management, the only way battery life should go is UP. Never stay the same or go down.

Now the only (few) good things I think there are on the G5.

- The modular idea is good. But it will need true investment in it. The modules they presented are nice but neither has a "wow" factor to it. Specially the camera grip which is just an inferior version of what Nokia had already done with the Nokia 1020 camera grip.

- The end of the volume buttons on the back is definitely a good thing to me.

- So is the end of back-facing speakers

Overall, I have no intention of buying the G5. Specially when the likes of the S7 present a much better package this time around (even if the camera won't be as good).
My only concern going forward is if LG will try to shove their horrible new UI down G4 user's throats. At which point I will have to either find a way to completely prevent the update or simply sell the G4 and probably go back to Sony until later this year when Nokia returns.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Curious to know why you would want a 4K display on a phone?
simple answer: because soon TV (yt) will be 4k and monitors too so using the same resolution is nice and will come in handy for more productivity work.

Having seen the S7 now I think it looks more elegant but not as feature rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid