LG G5 initial impressions

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
The G4 Jas been my first LG smart phone. Looking at the G5, it's looks and strange functionability means it will probably be my last Lg phone.

Posted via the Android Central App using my LG G4

cal777flyer

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I am still on my G2, I love the screen to body ratio and small form factor. I have not traded up partly due to those two things, and partly because it can still hold it's own speed wise (for the most part, although with the new snapdragon 820 and 4gb ram that is most likely not the case anymore). However, it is starting to show its age and the non removable battery is not lasting anywhere near as good as it used to. I switched to the G2 from a Galaxy S2, and I prefer LG software vs Touchwiz.

I have really been looking forward to the G5 and really thought this would be my next phone, however, after watching both the G5 and S7 launches, I think I am leaning towards the S7. The waterproof ip68 sounds really nice (thinking about out in the rain, water slide park with the kids, etc) and from a design perspective, the S7 has a much more refined look. I must admit that the release version of the G5 is much better looking than some of the leaked pictures showed, however, it does not look anywhere near as nice as the S7 (in my opinion).

The biggest let down for me is the screen to body ratio and bezels. Even though the bottom bezel appears small at first glance, when you see the screen on, you realize that there is also a black portion of the bezel on top of the detachable part that really stands out and resembles an HTC (not knocking HTC, I have really liked everything other than their bezels on their phones) phone type bezel to go along with the large top bezel. Also, the side edges of the screen don't appear to get as close to the edge as the G2 or the S7 (non edge). I did not upgrade to the G3 or 4 due to the larger size (length and width, I think the width bothers me more) in comparison to the G2, the S7 wins here as well. Even though the S7 (non edge) is only 5.1 I think it will feel at least the same or maybe slightly larger than the G2's 5.2 because the navigation buttons are below and not actually taking up screen real estate. Although the S7 screen to body ratio is also not as good as the G2, it is slightly better. I wish they would upgrade the G2, keeping the dimensions, but upgrading the specs! The smaller battery, 2800 on the G5, is also not as good as the S7 and G2's 3000, sigh...

I am going to reserve my final decision for when I see the full software review. From the initial look, it seems that touchwiz is much improved and LG may have taken one step forward and two steps back so to speak. When the full reviews come out I will know for sure. I appreciate LG's innovative thinking, but I really think they missed the mark on this one for me. Seems they spent too much time and energy on what I see as gimmicky attachments (I know some may disagree, this again is just my opinion) and not enough on upgrading the software experience and refining the design.

The G5 is a good start, but it looks like it needs another iteration to really shine.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I am still on my G2, I love the screen to body ratio and small form factor. I have not traded up partly due to those two things, and partly because it can still hold it's own speed wise.

Yes, the Snapdragon 800 was a beast. I still miss my Nexus 5. Best phone I every owned.

cal777flyer

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the Snapdragon 800 was a beast. I still miss my Nexus 5. Best phone I every owned.

I agree, the 800 was a real step up. Seems like the 820 will do the same for video and game processing.

On a side note, look at these bezels (the side ones really bother me, what happened?), sigh.... major step backward:

lg-g5-film.jpg

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
FIX YOUR SOFTWARE.

I can't believe they took several steps back with their software.

The lack of an app drawer is odd, but since I use Action Launcher 3, it's no biggie. The increased usage of the color white throughout the UI is a pain to my eyes and looks uglier IMO.

But here's the deal breaker. QSlide and Dual Window getting the boot. I use those on a daily basis! Hugely disappointing in that regard.

If I had a G5, I would be rooting it on day one. I want my dual windows.

LG, please hire some new software engineers...

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree, the 800 was a real step up. Seems like the 820 will do the same for video and game processing.

On a side note, look at these bezels (the side ones really bother me, what happened?), sigh.... major step backward:

View attachment 217124

I know, LG didn't live up to their reputation regarding those bezels.

I've audio been looking forward to the 820. Kinda can't wait.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I can't believe they took several steps back with their software.

The lack of an app drawer is odd, but since I use Action Launcher 3, it's no biggie. The increased usage of the color white throughout the UI is a pain to my eyes and looks uglier IMO.

But here's the deal breaker. QSlide and Dual Window getting the boot. I use those on a daily basis! Hugely disappointing in that regard.

If I had a G5, I would be rooting it on day one. I want my dual windows.

LG, please hire some new software engineers...

I've decided to reserve judgment on the software front. The first video I saw was the AC video. It seems like Phil maybe didn't get that much time with it, or the video was short. I don't know.

But the AA video, which was provide by a fellow forum member, it seems like they had a little more time with the device/longer video? I got a better impression. And the phone looked better in the sun on the video, didn't look cheap. I'm thinking the G5 doesn't photograph well.

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the modules have loads of potential.
Loads of potential to get your money, you don't think those modules are going to be free or cheap do you?
Next they will be marketing a specifically made gear bag or other system to carry your "modules", and integrate that with a charging system to keep them all at the ready.
Market market market!! Because manufacturer's are running out ideas and the current cellular tech has reached it's limit until tech can advance past where we are now and that folks is gonna be a few years.
When they come out with reliable borderless bezel and opaque displays that are bendable, waterproof and scratch free. I will be impressed. Until then cell phones are where cell phones are going to be but with more commercial gimmicks to trick us into spending our money on them.
The G5 is not impressing me so far!!

Posted via the Android Central App using my LG G4

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry about the Q Slide and Dual Window.
I don't understand why LG gave those the boot. They were HUGELY useful.

Like I use it to browse the web AND use Metal (Facebook client) at the same time while playing my anime via an overlay. THAT WAS USEFUL AS HECK!

Now that it's gone, I don't feel like updating my G4 as I don't want to lose them.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Has there been any word on whether the main 16mp camera on the back has actually been upgraded? It would be a shame if they left it the same as the g4/v10 for the sake of adding a separate wide angle lens. The v10 camera is good btw, but with what Samsung has done with their be cameras I was hoping LG would knock it out if the park here (especially regarding low light shots.)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I currently have an S3. I'll have to wait for the reviews, and user reports, and handle one in the flesh before I make any decisions, but I'm a little disappointed. The move of the volume buttons to the side is a step backwards, as is the decrease in screen size combined with an increase in overall size. I can live with a 5.3" screen, but making the height of the phone bigger is a fail. The metal case means no wireless charging, another step backwards. I don't consider the look of the phone to be a major consideration, but the camera hump on this is even uglier than the Nexus 6P's.

I had hoped for a big improvement in sound quality through the speaker(s), but that doesn't look like it was a consideration. And I don't think I'll ever use the add-on modules. I'd rather the space taken up by that big connector was used to hold a little more battery.

The processor is a big step up, of course, but every 2016 flagship will use the 820, so that's not really a selling point.

Right now the S7 Edge looks like a better set of compromises, as does the 6P. Maybe even the slightly smaller S7.

Phonedotcome

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
About the modules, perhaps the initial thought many people have is that they are somewhat a "must-have" for the phone. On its own, I believe the G5 doesn't really these modules. Unless you plan a big vacation day taking tons of pics, or want to view what your cam captures in 3D, etc. Personally, I think these modules may be nice additions, but by no means, they substract anything away from this excellent phone. Size-wise, it's perhaps a good decision to have G5 at 5.3 and V10 at 5.7. Like that it covers pretty much everyone.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Has there been any word on whether the main 16mp camera on the back has actually been upgraded? It would be a shame if they left it the same as the g4/v10 for the sake of adding a separate wide angle lens. The v10 camera is good btw, but with what Samsung has done with their be cameras I was hoping LG would knock it out if the park here (especially regarding low light shots.)
I haven't seen anything stating specifically that the module has been updated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick