LG v20 - No FM Radio; A Verizon "Get The Runaround" Special! Help Me if You're Annoyed, too.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: LG v20 - No FM Radio; A Verizon "Get The Runaround" Special! Help Me if You're Annoyed, too.

before I was on LG, I used Tuned In Radio pro. There is a free version you can demo, too.
I haven't compared precisely to the FM app from LG, which I took a quick look at, but don't really use, so apologies if this is not a good comparison and won't answer all your questions, but it's rare the carriers offer a special app that can't be duplicated in PlayStore. On Tuned In, go to browse/local stations. I could tune in to them. It does other things too.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../apps/details?id=tunein.player&token=JnyqTVYP

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: LG v20 - No FM Radio; A Verizon "Get The Runaround" Special! Help Me if You're Annoyed, too.

That's streaming data from fm stations. We want actual fm which uses no data and may work in some places lte doesn't

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

You have a better chance of them adding telegraph into the phone before they enable FM

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site

You have a better chance of them adding telegraph into the phone before they enable FM
Has anyone tried placing a T-Mobile SIM card into a Verizon phone to see what happens? Just a thought.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tried placing a T-Mobile SIM card into a Verizon phone to see what happens? Just a thought.

They disabled it in their version of Android....changing the SIM doesn't change the software.
Also no one can get the unlocked version to work either.

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site

They disabled it in their version of Android....changing the SIM doesn't change the software.
Also no one can get the unlocked version to work either.
Has anyone tried it though?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone tried it though?
I can't cite any specifics but I know that so far no one with an unlocked model or Verizon model has gotten the FM to work. It wouldn't matter because the sim card does not control FM radio capability.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

That won't do anything.

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site

Of course not

But the sim card controls the network your on. Also in turn there is alot of software that identifies what network your on for specific reasons. Whos too say that the FM software doesnt see that your on Verizon and disables the software. Unless someone has tried no one can say yes or no.

Off beat and a different OS, but I have a BlackBerry Passport phone. And in the phone it has volume boost for audio playback. With a T-Mobile SIM card inserted the volume boost option is available. But take the SIM card out or use any other carrier SIM card, the option disappears from the phones settings.

So until you try another SIM card out, it can't be excluded. Unless you are the developer of that software and no so.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

But the sim card controls the network your on. Also in turn there is alot of software that identifies what network your on for specific reasons. Whos too say that the FM software doesnt see that your on Verizon and disables the software. Unless someone has tried no one can say yes or no.

Off beat and a different OS, but I have a BlackBerry Passport phone. And in the phone it has volume boost for audio playback. With a T-Mobile SIM card inserted the volume boost option is available. But take the SIM card out or use any other carrier SIM card, the option disappears from the phones settings.

So until you try another SIM card out, it can't be excluded. Unless you are the developer of that software and no so.
The SIM card does not control the ability to receive FM.

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site

It's there. I'm sure all the phones are the same but slightly tuned for the frequency bands. I have the LG US996 US unlocked version and it's been disabled on my phone.

If everyone here complains, we might be able to make it available to all phones:

Take Action - Free Radio on my Phone
Who's your carrier?

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site

How do you know that what he's saying is incorrect?
My point exactly about my comments.

Never mind though.
I know someone who has a V20 on Verizon. I'll have them swap out their SIM card.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
How do you know this?

Because I know how these phones work.
Because myself and others have been up and down this road before
Because I've had this issue on more than one phone. I've seen them disable it after previously having after an update on at least two phones and I've seen it enabled on other models after not having it through an update.

Other people have also tried on the V20, but good luck since you don't want to believe it.

Last edited:

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

My point exactly about my comments.

Never mind though.
I know someone who has a V20 on Verizon. I'll have them swap out their SIM card.

Because, if it worked, we would already know about it. Verizon has disabled the FM radio for many many years. It is disabled in the hardware and there is apparently no way around it.

David

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuclei