LG's promise of faster updates?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: LG's promise......

Damn Google must have missed that memo. They still update the Pixel 1 and my Pixel 2 even though the 3 is around the corner.
Security updates are faster. Actual OS updates won't be. Plus why would they update people's OS faster? No one would need to buy their new and hottest phone... Lose on sales... They have a strategic timetable for updates.. that's why you see a major OS update wayy later, when the phone is almost obsolete just to prove to people they actually do it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you really trust LG promise for pushing updates faster then I'm not sure what to say

Pixel or iPhones are the only ones you would want to buy for fast regular platform and security updates. And as others have said treble makes update easier but OEMs have to still put the work which they won't since they don't give a **** about keeping their old phones up to date in a timely manner.

Majority android OEMs and US carriers have zero interest/incentive in keeping phones up to date.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Damn Google must have missed that memo. They still update the Pixel 1 and my Pixel 2 even though the 3 is around the corner.

If you're buying a phone solely on OS updates, that's cool but it won't improve your phone's performance in any way.. maybe some cool new UI changes but that's it. I don't understand the need to constantly change the OS if the current one works absolutely fine... From my experience, OS updates are actually intrusive and annoying (annoying forced iOS updates), and there's little to zero improvements.. sometimes changing something that you were already accustomed to or actually remove features that you like or add new bloatware. Hardware and features are equally or maybe more important than software alone.

Check the other forums and see how everyone's complaining about battery drain after the OS update and asking how they can "downgrade" back to the old OS.. (HTC 10?) well the answer is YOU CAN'T! If it works fine, leave it the alone. Your phone won't magically run faster after the update... The only thing you get are bragging rights that you have a newer OS than everyone else.. I bet if manufacturers pretended to update phones but change nothing, people will be happy because they think their phone is somehow better and faster now.

BTW does anyone know how to permanently disable iOS updates? The updates happen automatically on my mom's iPhone SE and interfere with usage... very annoying...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If you really trust LG promise for pushing updates faster then I'm not sure what to say

Pixel or iPhones are the only ones you would want to buy for fast regular platform and security updates. And as others have said treble makes update easier but OEMs have to still put the work which they won't since they don't give a **** about keeping their old phones up to date in a timely manner.

Majority android OEMs and US carriers have zero interest/incentive in keeping phones up to date.

Question is what's the point? If people are buying phones every 1-2 years, the work isn't worth it. By the time you expect an OS update, you're already thinking about getting the next flagship and dumping your old one. Google and Apple are NOT manufactures, they are nothing more than software and marketing companies with the brain power of Silicon Valley software engineers.. (however Samsung, LG, and Huawei have the manufacturing power)... Can you explain, have you ever gotten an OS update that actually did ANYTHING for you? Not really, still works the same way it did before. Nothing faster, nothing better. Maybe battery drain that's it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I beg to differ. You are basing your thoughts on a V20 telling me I can't see improvements yet you have literally zero experience in actual timely good OS updates lol.

Sorry.. I'll go with my experience versus your guesses.
If you're buying a phone solely on OS updates, that's cool but it won't improve your phone's performance in any way.. maybe some cool new UI changes but that's it. I don't understand the need to constantly change the OS if the current one works absolutely fine... From my experience, OS updates are actually intrusive and annoying (annoying forced iOS updates), and there's little to zero improvements.. sometimes changing something that you were already accustomed to or actually remove features that you like or add new bloatware. Hardware and features are equally or maybe more important than software alone.

Check the other forums and see how everyone's complaining about battery drain after the OS update and asking how they can "downgrade" back to the old OS.. (HTC 10?) well the answer is YOU CAN'T! If it works fine, leave it the alone. Your phone won't magically run faster after the update... The only thing you get are bragging rights that you have a newer OS than everyone else.. I bet if manufacturers pretended to update phones but change nothing, people will be happy because they think their phone is somehow better and faster now.

BTW does anyone know how to permanently disable iOS updates? The updates happen automatically on my mom's iPhone SE and interfere with usage... very annoying...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

FYI here's Project Treble explained and why manufactures get slow updates: https://www.androidauthority.com/project-treble-818225/

"The slow update problem has to do with the way that Android software layers communicate with underlying phone hardware. In order for applications to run on a CPU or use a camera, the OS has to talk to connected hardware via a hardware abstraction layer (HAL). This is important if, for example, you want third party apps from the Play Store to work with any phone’s camera – HALs are designed to be low-level driver-agnostic. Below this is the Linux kernel, which handles the hardware specific communication between the HAL and the exact components in the phone. It has to be compiled depending on your handset’s specific hardware.

The problem with Nougat and older version of Android, is that there’s no separation between the vendor’s low level hardware code and the higher level AOSP operating system code that Google maintains. In Android 7.x and earlier, no formal vendor interfaces existed, meaning that device manufacturers had to update large portions of the Android code with each update. This includes waiting on hardware vendors, such as SoC manufacturers, to provide their code to hook hardware into the new OS.

Unfortunately, Android didn’t used to have much in the way of plug-and-play compatibility with low level hardware; code had to be heavily tailored. This takes a considerable amount of time, testing, and cost on the part of silicon vendors and OEMs. Project Treble is designed to solve this problem by separating the Android OS Framework from the vendor hardware code implementations, therefore allowing Google and OEMs to update the OS without having to reconfigure all the the lower level hardware parts.

Project Treble separates the Android OS Framework from the vendor hardware code implementations"

Expect faster updates from now on starting with Andriod O.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

FYI here's Project Treble explained and why manufactures get slow updates: https://www.androidauthority.com/project-treble-818225/

"The slow update problem has to do with the way that Android software layers communicate with underlying phone hardware. In order for applications to run on a CPU or use a camera, the OS has to talk to connected hardware via a hardware abstraction layer (HAL). This is important if, for example, you want third party apps from the Play Store to work with any phone’s camera – HALs are designed to be low-level driver-agnostic. Below this is the Linux kernel, which handles the hardware specific communication between the HAL and the exact components in the phone. It has to be compiled depending on your handset’s specific hardware.

The problem with Nougat and older version of Android, is that there’s no separation between the vendor’s low level hardware code and the higher level AOSP operating system code that Google maintains. In Android 7.x and earlier, no formal vendor interfaces existed, meaning that device manufacturers had to update large portions of the Android code with each update. This includes waiting on hardware vendors, such as SoC manufacturers, to provide their code to hook hardware into the new OS.

Unfortunately, Android didn’t used to have much in the way of plug-and-play compatibility with low level hardware; code had to be heavily tailored. This takes a considerable amount of time, testing, and cost on the part of silicon vendors and OEMs. Project Treble is designed to solve this problem by separating the Android OS Framework from the vendor hardware code implementations, therefore allowing Google and OEMs to update the OS without having to reconfigure all the the lower level hardware parts.

Project Treble separates the Android OS Framework from the vendor hardware code implementations"

Expect faster updates from now on starting with Andriod O.

...unless it's an update via Play Services, Google isn't doing updates for phones that they don't make.

Treble makes updates easier.

But it doesn't directly mean you'll get updates faster because the OEM still has to put the work in.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

...unless it's an update via Play Services, Google isn't doing updates for phones that they don't make.

But it doesn't directly mean you'll get updates faster because the OEM still has to put the work in.

Here we go again. Just like the other thread where all you guys were fighting, he won't take anything anyone says that's not in agreement. It's exhausting reading some of these forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

YI here's Project Treble explained and why manufactures get slow updates: https://www.androidauthority.com/project-treble-818225/

Yes you love to quote that but "Should" versus actual which is a HUGE difference.

My main thing is you told me that my manufactures have a schedule to force me to update... yet the update the Pixel 1 + the Pixel 2 have received updates even though the 3 is around the corner so your logic doesn't make any sense.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

But the point is it'll be much easier for them without roadblocks from before.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Here we go again. Just like the other thread where all you guys were fighting, he won't take anything anyone says that's not in agreement. It's exhausting reading some of these forums.

You guys aren't even understanding the point of it, you're being pessimistic saying manufacturers are not going to do anything. The point of Project Treble was to encourage manufacturers to release faster updates and Android O makes it possible. It's not about being wrong or right here, just reporting the news.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

You guys aren't even understanding the point of it, you're being pessimistic saying manufacturers are not going to do anything. The point of Project Treble was to encourage manufacturers to release faster updates and Android O makes it possible. It's not about being wrong or right here, just reporting the news.

I think we understand the point, but disagree with the premise that just because Google made updates easier we are all going to start getting them drastically sooner. If you own a Samsung or an LG etc etc...you will still get your update when that company sees fit to give it to you. Just using LG as an example, and I'm not bashing them, I loved my V20, but you won't see Android P on that phone until after the G8 launches with it regardless of project Treble. That's just my opinion.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

I think we understand the point, but disagree with the premise that just because Google made updates easier we are all going to start getting them drastically sooner. If you own a Samsung or an LG etc etc...you will still get your update when that company sees fit to give it to you. Just using LG as an example, and I'm not bashing them, I loved my V20, but you won't see Android P on that phone until after the G8 launches with it regardless of project Treble. That's just my opinion.
We'd be lucky at best to see Android P on the V20 at all. It hasn't even received Oreo yet and I let mine go after some unreliability using the camera app which I loved the most. Waiting for the V40 now but the pormise of consistent, timely and future updates is a consideration in waiting it out for the Pixel 3.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

But the point is it'll be much easier for them without roadblocks from before.

Um.

Duh.

I said that.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You're taking the "should" and turning it into fact.

The news is that Treble makes it easier for OEMs. THIS DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT THEY WILL MOVE FASTER.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

You're taking the "should" and turning it into fact.

The news is that Treble makes it easier for OEMs. THIS DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT THEY WILL MOVE FASTER.

There's never a guarantee for anything, but this was a big problem that was the reason for slow updates.. now it's easier for manufacturers to do it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I beg to differ. You are basing your thoughts on a V20 telling me I can't see improvements yet you have literally zero experience in actual timely good OS updates lol.

Sorry.. I'll go with my experience versus your guesses.

Okay what new improvement that was vastly great did you get? I've been a smartphone user for many years, the OS update and other updates I never noticed anything significantly great.. the only thing I did notice was unnecessary changes to a system that I was already used to and then get angry because the update ruined the phone and can't revert back.. my point is there isn't an absolute need to update the phone if the phone is working the way it should. The only people that care about updates are tech guys that think their phone is newer and faster.. however if you look at the older phones forums (in this case, HTC 10) the update causes problems and people regret updating. In terms of security, nobody has ever really hacked a phone.. people's accounts have been compromised over the cloud so you should be more worried about the cloud than your physical storage drive (Equifax? Target? T-Mobile breach? They didn't need the phone at all)

HTC 10 Oreo Battery Draining + Boot Loop
https://forums.androidcentral.com/h...o-battery-draining-boot-loop.html#post6258978

Anyone else hate Oreo? HTC10
https://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-10/889613-anyone-else-hate-oreo-htc10.html#post6250399

In short: updates does not mean it's better. Sometimes (in fact, many times) there are problems. What I don't get is if you're already having a good experience with the phone, why is it urgent to change and update it?

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You really love to flop around in a conversation. One minute you make some conspiracy theory claim so I let you know that nope Google is doing it now you jump to what did I get. Make up your mind what you are trying to complain about versus shifting to random things such as a T-Mobile data breach when you were talking about updates for phones lol. It's like once someone points something you said was wrong you go so off topic versus what everyone was talking about.

It's fine if you don't care about updates... That wasn't what I was commenting on. You said they have an agenda and I simply said you're wrong as they all don't. Also I think most of us have been smartphone users for many years lol ;).

Okay what new improvement that was vastly great did you get? I've been a smartphone user for many years, the OS update and other updates I never noticed anything significantly great.. the only thing I did notice was unnecessary changes to a system that I was already used to and then get angry because the update ruined the phone and can't revert back.. my point is there isn't an absolute need to update the phone if the phone is working the way it should. The only people that care about updates are tech guys that think their phone is newer and faster.. however if you look at the older phones forums (in this case, HTC 10) the update causes problems and people regret updating. In terms of security, nobody has ever really hacked a phone.. people's accounts have been compromised over the cloud so you should be more worried about the cloud than your physical storage drive (Equifax? Target? T-Mobile breach? They didn't need the phone at all)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Software can be tweaked to improve performance. Idk where you got the idea that optimization isn't a thing but.. yeah..

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

There's never a guarantee for anything, but this was a big problem that was the reason for slow updates.. now it's easier for manufacturers to do it.

Because it's easier doesn't mean the OEMs will do it faster.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick