LG's promise of faster updates?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: LG's promise......

So one of the reasons I got the g7 is because of LG's promise of faster updates..... As I sit here typing this on patch may.......

That is pretty much why I don't trust Samsung and them. It is Google or Apple for me since they have a good track record for it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

So one of the reasons I got the g7 is because of LG's promise of faster updates..... As I sit here typing this on patch may.......

Starting with Android O there is Project Treble which allows faster updates for ALL flagships.. it was an issue with all flagships.. so expect faster updates from now on.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

That is pretty much why I don't trust Samsung and them. It is Google or Apple for me since they have a good track record for it.

Apple good track record? What about "battery gate"? Slowing down people's phones on purpose.. good thing people called them out and they reversed it..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Apple good track record? What about "battery gate"? Slowing down people's phones on purpose.. good thing people called them out and they reversed it..

Yeah they have a good track record on security updates. You are talking about liking an update -- I was talking about them actually doing the update.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I thought the promise pertained to OS updates. No?

"Project Treble is included as part of Android 8.0 Oreo and represents a major re-architecture for the OS framework. The initiative’s ultimate aim is to make updates faster and easier for OEMs to roll out to devices. Treble is arguably one of the biggest changes introduced to Android Oreo, but one that consumers won’t even notice as it works primarily behind the scenes..."

https://www.androidauthority.com/project-treble-818225/

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Yeah they have a good track record on security updates. You are talking about liking an update -- I was talking about them actually doing the update.

The new Project Treble should fix that problem of slow updates on Android phones that are not Google. Fast updates will be universal.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The new Project Treble should fix that problem of slow updates on Android phones that are not Google. Fast updates will be universal.

"Should" -- key word. I hope it does TBH .. faster security is a good thing for all.. but for me it is Google or Apple so I know I am good.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Starting with Android O there is Project Treble which allows faster updates for ALL flagships.. it was an issue with all flagships.. so expect faster updates from now on.

While Treble makes the process of updates faster, it doesn't force OEMs to do the work that goes into developing the update faster.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The G6 and V30 are on the official Enterprise Recommended list. G7 isn't there but it wouldn't surprise me if it got added.

The requirements of that enterprise program? Security updates within 90 days. Not monthly. 90 days.

Security update support90-day security updates
Major update release supportSupport current shipping release + one letter upgrade
Unlocked device availabilityUnlocked device must be available for purchase by enterprise customers through either:
  • A 3rd-party distributor
  • Direct from manufacturer
*Devices that are targeted exclusively for one specific country may apply for an exemption.

In July 2018, an LG G7 on the May 2018 patch is perfectly and reasonably acceptable.

natehartey12

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
The G6 and V30 are on the official Enterprise Recommended list. G7 isn't there but it wouldn't surprise me if it got added.

The requirements of that enterprise program? Security updates within 90 days. Not monthly. 90 days.

Security update support90-day security updates
Major update release supportSupport current shipping release + one letter upgrade
Unlocked device availabilityUnlocked device must be available for purchase by enterprise customers through either:
  • A 3rd-party distributor
  • Direct from manufacturer
*Devices that are targeted exclusively for one specific country may apply for an exemption.

In July 2018, an LG G7 on the May 2018 patch is perfectly and reasonably acceptable.

According to that, not necessarily the consumer.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
According to that, not necessarily the consumer.

Two points:

1) LG's "promise" of faster updates never mentioned an actual timetable. "Regular OS updates" are mentioned (instead of calling out security updates specifically).

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/04/11/lg-promises-faster-updates-new-software-upgrade-center/

2) Enterprise-level is usually a step up from consumer-level (I'd like them to be equal, but they're usually never presented as equals). If 90 days, not monthly, is OK for Enterprise, it's OK for everyone else.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

"Project Treble is included as part of Android 8.0 Oreo and represents a major re-architecture for the OS framework. The initiative’s ultimate aim is to make updates faster and easier for OEMs to roll out to devices. Treble is arguably one of the biggest changes introduced to Android Oreo, but one that consumers won’t even notice as it works primarily behind the scenes..."

https://www.androidauthority.com/project-treble-818225/

I heard that all phones that launched with 8.0 or higher were supposed to be project treble ready. Can anyone confirm if this is true? Also, I think treble will eliminate an an excuse for OEM/carriers to push timely updates, however it still doesn't guarantee that they will actually do it. We blame carriers for this, but I believe that the OEM often does it on purpose for financial reasons. For example, does anybody actually believe that Samsung will update the S9 to Android P BEFORE they launch the S10 with it? Is doubtful, because it would eliminate one of the reasons that people might buy the new phone. Its why my Notes always get the new Android version in March or April after the new "S" device goes on sale.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I heard that all phones that launched with 8.0 or higher were supposed to be project treble ready. Can anyone confirm if this is true? Also, I think treble will eliminate an an excuse for OEM/carriers to push timely updates, however it still doesn't guarantee that they will actually do it. We blame carriers for this, but I believe that the OEM often does it on purpose for financial reasons. For example, does anybody actually believe that Samsung will update the S9 to Android P BEFORE they launch the S10 with it? Is doubtful, because it would eliminate one of the reasons that people might buy the new phone. Its why my Notes always get the new Android version in March or April after the new "S" device goes on sale.

If you're talking about security updates, Project Treble should cover that. Regarding an entire OS update (like Andriod 7 to 8), it's true that manufactures dely updates to increase the sales for their "newest flagship". If the S8 came out with the same new OS when the S9 was released, then no one would buy the S9 because there's little reason to. "New OS" always adds value.

From my experience, each flagship gets at least 1 major update, however many people always report issues with updates and become frustrated so the just give up and buy a new phone. Most common complaint is battery drain (HTC 10?). I wouldn't be quick to update unless I'm certain there's no issues... manufactures do NOT allow you to revert back to the old OS (although technically possible, they don't want you to). The battery drain could be from a variety of things.. from planned obsolescence (POSSIBLY) to old hardware not being compatible with new software, or manufacturers doing a lousy job converting everything and then retiring the device. People update because they think it makes their phone faster, NOPE it doesn't, probably does the opposite.

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

While Treble makes the process of updates faster, it doesn't force OEMs to do the work that goes into developing the update faster.

Security updates are faster. Actual OS updates won't be. Plus why would they update people's OS faster? No one would need to buy their new and hottest phone... Lose on sales... They have a strategic timetable for updates.. that's why you see a major OS update wayy later, when the phone is almost obsolete just to prove to people they actually do it.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

Security updates are faster. Actual OS updates won't be. Plus why would they update people's OS faster? No one would need to buy their new and hottest phone... Lose on sales... They have a strategic timetable for updates.. that's why you see a major OS update wayy later, when the phone is almost obsolete just to prove to people they actually do it.
I think people would buy the new thing regardless of whether the old phone was up to date or not. Just look at Apple.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I think people would buy the new thing regardless of whether the old phone was up to date or not. Just look at Apple.

I somewhat agree with you, but I don't think the manufacturers do. I believe most average consumer, which is NOT most of us in the forums, don't understand/aren't interested in most hardware upgrades. It's new software "tricks" that sell phones to the average consumer, and manufacturers are afraid that they won't upgrade if the old phone already has the newest software.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Project Treble won't make security updates faster if OEMs don't put in the work. Project Treble doesn't take the OEM out of the security update equation.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Project Treble won't make security updates faster if OEMs don't put in the work. Project Treble doesn't take the OEM out of the security update equation.

For real. No matter how much he spouts off, none of it matters if oems aren't working on updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick