Memory Card Basics

Rover775

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I do have a basic question about the photos I have on a SDHC card. After un-mounting the 16GB Class 4 SDHC card from my old Android phone 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, if I mount the SDHC card to my new 7.1.1 Nougat phone, will I lose the photos?

I know that certain information can be stored to a sim card and transferred to another phone. The sim application is not what I'm trying to do, just that that's one way things work.

Does that also work for transferring an SDHC card from one phone to another ?? Do I get to keep the photos on the SDHC card when I transfer it to the new phone? Or must I back up the photos from the SDHC to my computer, and then, after loading the card to the new phone, download those photos?

What's the easiest and best way to accomplish this??

Last edited:

A Bochur

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
you will not loose your photos if you transfer sd card to a different phone. (Just make sure NOT to format sd when connected to new phone.)

on a side note it's good to backup your photos just in case. to do that, download Google photos app and have it sync all your phots

Rover775

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
you will not loose your photos if you transfer sd card to a different phone. (Just make sure NOT to format sd when connected to new phone.)

on a side note it's good to backup your photos just in case. to do that, download Google photos app and have it sync all your phots

Yes, Thanks AB. I saved the photos and music to my computer.

When I loaded the card into the new phone, it prompted me to choose on of two options:

Use as portable storage (For moving photos and other media between devices.)

Use as internal storage (For storing anything on this device ONLY, including apps and photos. Requires formatting that prevents it working with other devices.)

Rover775

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site

Yes, Thanks AB. I saved the photos and music to my computer.

When I loaded the card into the new phone, it prompted me to choose on of two options:

Use as portable storage (For moving photos and other media between devices.)

Use as internal storage (For storing anything on this device ONLY, including apps and photos. Requires formatting that prevents it working with other devices.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Use as portable storage - which it is right now. Choosing internal storage will give you 16GB more of very slow internal storage - but it will reformat your card and you'll have to copy the pictures and music back from the computer. (For internal storage, the card should really be Class 10 or higher (U1 - which is class 10 - or U3 - which would be the equivalent of class 30.)

Rover775

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Use as portable storage - which it is right now. Choosing internal storage will give you 16GB more of very slow internal storage - but it will reformat your card and you'll have to copy the pictures and music back from the computer. (For internal storage, the card should really be Class 10 or higher (U1 - which is class 10 - or U3 - which would be the equivalent of class 30.)

Thanks. I opted to buy a SanDisk micro SDHC 32GB UHS-1/U3 card with a Speed Class of 3.

I hope that will work with my Blade Z Max okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae