Modified CWMrecovery for Odin (DJ05/DL09) Plus new root instructions (Updated 1/15)

Compuzen

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind, I found it on XDA. Its a .tar file, so I assume I use Odin to flash it?

Edit. That worked! Am now textin my ass off, cause "bishes love textin" :)

Last edited:

Compuzen

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, now there's a new problem. I'm sure its something I've done incorrectly in all my noobish glory. Now when I try to install an App from the market it says "sorry, there's not enough space to install this item".

Under SD Card and Phone Storage it says I have 0.00B of internal phone storage left. I just did the wipe/reset and wiped cache and Delvik with Clockwork before flashing the new rom, kernel and radio.

I don't have many apps installed at the moment because of the wipe. I have about 2 pages of Apps in the App drawer right now.

Any suggestions? Should I have returned to stock before flashing? I had the Voodoo kernel before flashing the kernel from the bottom of the OP. I'm not sure if that would have an effect or not.

Thanks again guys.

Compuzen

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Thank you sir. I'm trying to figure out the completely remove voodoo instructions now. I'm decently knowledgeable with computers, but I swear most of this is making me feel like an idiot.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Posted this on XDA, but I'll try here too.

Rooted my wife's Fascinate prior to the OTA using z4. After the update, obviously z4 doesn't work. But superuser is still present, so manually rooting with ADB isn't working.

I have tried this method to no avail. Flashed the CWM tar in Odin, downloaded all the necessary files. When I try to apply the update.zip it fails every time. I get the android with ! on the screen.

I have downloaded both update.zips from the computer and transferred to SD card, downloaded to SD card from the phone directly... nothing works. I'm going to try CWM red tonight, but was just wondering if I'm missing anything.

fire n ice

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Once you flash the cam via odin,do not let the phone boot all the way. Go directly into recovery and apply the update.zip file. That'll get you into cwm. From there loan the kernel that adryn provides at the end if the OP.

Posted this on XDA, but I'll try here too.

Rooted my wife's Fascinate prior to the OTA using z4. After the update, obviously z4 doesn't work. But superuser is still present, so manually rooting with ADB isn't working.

I have tried this method to no avail. Flashed the CWM tar in Odin, downloaded all the necessary files. When I try to apply the update.zip it fails every time. I get the android with ! on the screen.

I have downloaded both update.zips from the computer and transferred to SD card, downloaded to SD card from the phone directly... nothing works. I'm going to try CWM red tonight, but was just wondering if I'm missing anything.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

L_Boogie820

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I JUST received my fascniate and im trying to follow your instructions. Android/rooting is relatively new to me. anything I should know before going out and doing this?

Compuzen

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I finally got my issue sorted out. After reading up on adb and getting the Android SDK I think I got rid of Voodoo and flashed the kernel from the OP. Got my internal storage back now!

Mad Jeep

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Please help

I just found out I have Recovery (2e) on my phone. I can't install the update.zip, it keeps failing. How do I install the update.zip with this?

So this is all new to me I come from BBs as well. I get to the recovery (2e) blue and when I try and press the power button to apply sdcard:update nothing happens.

Now my phone is stuck in that mode. What do I need to do to get past this screen so I can apply the sdcard update.zip?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So this is all new to me I come from BBs as well. I get to the recovery (2e) blue and when I try and press the power button to apply sdcard:update nothing happens.

Now my phone is stuck in that mode. What do I need to do to get past this screen so I can apply the sdcard update.zip?

hit the home button in blue recovery

in green its the power button

jwebste9

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site

if you are in the regular recovery, the home button is apply/ok/enter, the power button is apply in clockwork

Mad Jeep

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Well that helps me get some where. I was able to reboot it but now when I try to apply the sdcard update.zip I get taken to a screen where the android robot is there with a exclamation point is inside of a triangle. When I press the menu button I see a screen that says

(in yellow)
#MANUAL MODE #

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package ...
Verifying update package...
(in red)
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verifacation failed
Installation aborted.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Well that helps me get some where. I was able to reboot it but now when I try to apply the sdcard update.zip I get taken to a screen where the android robot is there with a exclamation point is inside of a triangle. When I press the menu button I see a screen that says

(in yellow)
#MANUAL MODE #

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package ...
Verifying update package...
(in red)
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verifacation failed
Installation aborted.

See post #66

Reactions: Mad Jeep

Mad Jeep

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
So all of this is in effort to get the super clean 0.4 and when I use rom manager to install rom from sdcard it tells me that is is going to reboot in cwmrecovery but ends up rebooting into the regular recovery mode and then when I try and get into the cwmrecovery I still get the installation error. What do I need to do differently?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So all of this is in effort to get the super clean 0.4 and when I use rom manager to install rom from sdcard it tells me that is is going to reboot in cwmrecovery but ends up rebooting into the regular recovery mode and then when I try and get into the cwmrecovery I still get the installation error. What do I need to do differently?

hit apply sdcard:update.zip that leads you into clockwork
i was asking Kevin, im still experimenting with this method aswell but im able to fuction properly but i had hiccups like you did aswell so dont get frustrated, just all part of the learning curve

Mad Jeep

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
hit apply sdcard:update.zip that leads you into clockwork
i was asking Kevin, im still experimenting with this method aswell but im able to fuction properly but i had hiccups like you did aswell so dont get frustrated, just all part of the learning curve

So I need to hit apply sdcard:update.zip in both recovery platforms?

And I'm not getting frustrated yet, just excited to see how all this is done.