Newbid with some questions....

Peach1

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got my 1st Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S) a few days ago. I'm pretty tech savvy and very familiar with Apple's iOS but I'm a bit overwhelmed by Android. I was able to root my phone successfully, mainly to have access to more apps (my carrier's market only has free apps), to delete the ones I don't use and maybe to improve battery life. My phone has been working perfectly but for some reason I'm afraid it will stop working because I rooted it.

Here are my questions:

-What Things should I avoid after rooting?
-Can I still use Kies after rooting?
-Samsung Apps sent me a message regarding app updates, can I accept it and it will not ruin the phone?
-How can I store apps in my SD card, and is there a way to store unused apps in my computer, like you can do with the iPhone?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance. :)

MisterObvious#AC

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I think the biggest things to avoid are huge amounts of tethering and major tweaking, but you can flash a custom ROM and my god it can run so much better. I have no idea what Kies is but if it's an app, I would imagine so. And I think you can update apps just fine, but if it's a whole OS update, it may remove your root. As far as storing apps, you can push to move it to SD in the Settings area for apps, but no you don't use your computer for anything you do Android on.

Reactions: Peach1

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If you're looking to backup apps you can use Titanium from the Market and backup your apps, then copy the Titanium backup to your PC for storage. Just be careful with restoring System Data with Titanium, things can get janky if you restore system data.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I just got my 1st Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S) a few days ago. I'm pretty tech savvy and very familiar with Apple's iOS but I'm a bit overwhelmed by Android. I was able to root my phone successfully, mainly to have access to more apps (my carrier's market only has free apps), to delete the ones I don't use and maybe to improve battery life. My phone has been working perfectly but for some reason I'm afraid it will stop working because I rooted it.

Here are my questions:

-What Things should I avoid after rooting?

You should avoid flashing anything that does not pertain to the Samsung Galaxy S Variant you have. This is kind of common sense, but you can brick the phone.

-Can I still use Kies after rooting?

I'm not sure what this is :(

-Samsung Apps sent me a message regarding app updates, can I accept it and it will not ruin the phone?

If the update is an app update then nothing should happen. If you accept a firmware or software update then you can risk loosing root access. This may not be a problem, but if the exploit is well patched it may take time for the development community to gain root access again.

-How can I store apps in my SD card, and is there a way to store unused apps in my computer, like you can do with the iPhone?

Like PvilleComp said, use Titanium Backup, or similar, to backup the apps (with data) and take the file from the sd card and back it up on the computer. You will need the paid version in order to backup market links. Meaning, the apps will show up in the market 'my downloads' section after a fresh restore. I'm not sure if any apps on the market that will do this for free, so look around.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance. :)
Not long at all. You are learning Android and coming from iOS we can certainly understand :p Welcome to Android Central!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martinst-uk