Nexus 5 Crashed and constantly trying to reboot

Josh Tedd

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
So I have had the same issue with my Nexus 5 (kind of used it as an excuse to get a Nexus 6...) but I have revisited it and this is what I did:

* Replaced the battery...same problem occurs. Handset restarts itself and then bootloops, not able to go past the Google screen, sometimes to the 'coloured balls' screen.
* Tried going into bootloader mode; reboots after about 1 second in this menu.
* Powered the device on by clicking the power button on and off as fast as I could and it booted to Android fully. Was stable for a moment, and then rebooted. Tried again and now it is stable.

So unsure as to what the issue is. I doubt its the power button as when I connected the USB cable into the mains, the handset automatically powers on...Android devices don't do that...

So in short, not sure why it wasn't working, but it wasn't and now I seem to have got it to work.

Michael S Hand

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Mine was not auto rebooting, but every time I would try to boot, I'd get the google symbol, the spinning orbs, and then the android logo, then it'd shut off. I could get to the bootloader menu, so I did a factory reboot, but to no avail. Finally I read one of the comments here about mashing input buttons to get it to boot, and voila! It worked. If I had to guess, it threw an interrupt in the boot sequence, triggering it to load additional steps instead of shutting off, but who knows. It worked.

This was after doing PT with my phone in my pocket, while it was raining, and on a wet field, and doing sit ups, pushups, and even a straight up army crawl through the mud. Word of warning, if you plan to do this, remove phone from pocket :p

But after some drying with the back off, and some fiddling with resets and inputs, seems to work :)
What the carrier doesn't know won't hurt them :p

Steve Loveday

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi sorry to tell you though I had the problem and hitting the buttons will get it back working but it won't last :(
Mine started doing it again quite soon and it has been sent back to LG who repaired it and it only lasted 2 months and it did it again!!!
So it's been sent again and I'm just waiting for it to be sent back now

Steve Loveday

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Well another update on mine.
I got it back from LG today and on the invoice it says
Replace rear case
Replace connector
So it seems like its them causing the problem the only reason for them replacing the case is maybe a issue with the wireless charging causing problems,
And the connector I think is the power connection where you charge it!

MikeSW2

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
>>Whenever the phone is working and I accidentally hit the power too long, it asks if I want to power down. I don't and it resets and gets stuck in a bootloop.<<

This was my problem. Eventually I had to get a replacement sent by GooglePlay who were very helpful. After a few days the same happened on the replacement! The problem seemed to come back after I had installed Grindr and ran for a week OK, but it has just recurred with that app uninstalled.

So I think the problem is a general one when you cancel from a reboot confirmation page.

Happily now (under Android 5.1) it just counts through apps "optimising" them when I restart, so it work again after about 10 minutes. But there's obviously still a problem somewhere.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I am facing this issue since a long time now. Phone gets restarts any time, means you are texting someone or calling or playing game, clicks anywhere, with his wish. & phone takes several attempts to starts the phone say 1 out of 10. First time i faced this issue i went to LG service center, the executive said it's motherboard issue & need to be replaced. I went for motherboard replacement but after some time same issues started happening again. I have seen somewhere to clear the system cache, i do it every time the phone reboot automatically, only that time phone is switching on properly but starts rebooting again and again which is not a right solution may be a temporary one.I did factory reset too but sooner or later issue is back.

Any one can solve this out ?

tushary

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
The phone was running in an infinite loop of the "Google logo, circling dots, optimizing all apps".
I tried to safe mode option where it was suggested to reset to factory setting using volume button and power button press during booting. However the buttons did not respond.

I took this to the LG service centre here in India, the technician immediately said we are getting many customers who are facing same issue. Its an issue with the power button. It has to be replaced because it damaged internally due to usage. Just to let all know, its a 18 month old phone and has been maintained pretty well. As good as new. :)

I did not get the power button replaced from the store as they said that the phones which are purchased from Abroad(USA in my case) will be charged Rs12000. LG changed the motherboard of the phone along with the power button. I checked with them why the motherboard too, to which they replied 'company policy'. Ultimately i got the power button(just that, not the mobo) changed from a mobile phone repaid shop in a local market at Rs1000(~$15). And its working like a breeze. Now i have got 'Gravity' app installed as suggested in posts on this thread.

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I am on my second device to do this. It is a faulty power button that will misfire and cause boot loops and shutdowns. I am sending mine back in today after only having the replacement for 3 months.

Steve Loveday

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I am on my second device to do this. It is a faulty power button that will misfire and cause boot loops and shutdowns. I am sending mine back in today after only having the replacement for 3 months.
It's not just that mate its also the rear case that has the wireless charging so tell them that needs replacing also

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
It's not just that mate its also the rear case that has the wireless charging so tell them that needs replacing also

Has nothing to do with Qi charging. This is a mechanical issue with the power button.
I am warranty swapping the device. If the 3rd ones does this I am demanding a new device.

kpsfoo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Tushary!

I got the exact same problem today and the LG service center here in India also told me the exact same BS about having to change the motherboard to fix it and since I had bought my phone from USA they would have to charge me Rs 12000.

Like you I too thought that was ludicrous!

At first I thought that my phone was a goner and would really need some serious repairs. But after finding this thread I am sure now that it is the damn power button that is at fault here.

Also, after seeing your post I am filled with a new hope. I can now negotiate with the local mobile repair shops since I know they are just replacing a power button! :)

Thanks a bunch! You saved me a lot of money! Android Central community rocks!

Last edited:

Norak

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
This happened to me. I wanted to ask if anyone was able to fix it because I have tried what is suggested and although I do get the android on its back. The label is either start and then changes to power off or I get to change it once, to restart boot loader...I don't know what that means, but as I cannot control it, I can't stock reset my phone or anything like that. What should I do? I'd really like to avoid having to send it back or something...
Thank you.
:(:':)-\O:-$

Veer Mothikari

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
My nexus was working fine till yesterday. It suddenly rebooted & the screen of updating apps came in. I waited till it gets restarted, as the charge was low. I turned the mobile off. When i tried restarting the next day. It was running the loop of restarting - Google screen comes & shuts off.

Tried holding the volume low & power button simultaneously. But the moment i leave the button, it shutss off. pl suggest a way forward. if anyone has faced this issue. pl help me out. Atleast a way out to get the data before flashing the software again...:'(

jumpropejeremy

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
My nexus was working fine till yesterday. It suddenly rebooted & the screen of updating apps came in. I waited till it gets restarted, as the charge was low. I turned the mobile off. When i tried restarting the next day. It was running the loop of restarting - Google screen comes & shuts off.

Tried holding the volume low & power button simultaneously. But the moment i leave the button, it shutss off. pl suggest a way forward. if anyone has faced this issue. pl help me out. Atleast a way out to get the data before flashing the software again...

Mine is doing this exact same thing. Flashing Google and every once in a while I can get it to turn on. Then it goes through the "optimizing app" process for all 100 some odd apps I have and it takes forever. And drains the battery.

I followed the steps above (volume button and power button hard reset, etc.) and didn't install any new apps aside from the Google ones that automatically come installed. And it still is crashing and attempting to reboot. So if anyone has any other ideas, I'd be most grateful.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine is doing this exact same thing. Flashing Google and every once in a while I can get it to turn on. Then it goes through the "optimizing app" process for all 100 some odd apps I have and it takes forever. And drains the battery.

I followed the steps above (volume button and power button hard reset, etc.) and didn't install any new apps aside from the Google ones that automatically come installed. And it still is crashing and attempting to reboot. So if anyone has any other ideas, I'd be most grateful.

Try tapping it hard on a table on the power button side. I read this in the forum for Nexus 5 boot loops.

Edit: I'm not sure I'd do that myself, though. So, grain of salt.

Gerben Rosseel

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem just a few minutes ago and immediatelly the it'er in me said google that ****! Anyways i read that just quickpressing while it's booting and some hard long presses could fix the problem, and suprisingly it did. it rebooted normally and it's been working fine for now. I'll update when it's rebooting again but if it doesn't i won't reply anymore.

so my advice: hard press and even quick tap the **** out of that power button! ;)

SpeedinHawk

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
A SOLUTION THAT HAS WORKED

So I have had the same problem as all of you. It started a month ago, booting, crashing, booting, crashing, etc... I left it on charge for the night back then and it worked.
Yesterday, it started again. Left it on charge over night, no luck.

Read this forum. I did every single thing people have said here aside from factory resetting because I know that I dont need to do that... not until I back up all of my files off my phone.

Final thing I tried was to keep clicking the power button fast and continuously (as someone in this forum said) until the lock screen comes up. It worked!
So have it start the Google screen boot, and immediately be clicking the power button as much as possible. I didn't think it worked but after so many hours of so many methods this worked.

Given this is occurring, we cannot state it is either a hardware or a software problem - that being, it could be EITHER. If it is a software problem, clicking the power button is interrupting a continuous signal from the power button which is resulting in the rebooting (and the initial shut down).
Alternatively and more likely, if it is a hardware problem, clicking like this is ensuring a physical interruption of the underlying button which may be getting stuck.

Give it a go. If this doesn't work, try and try again. If it still doesn't work, keep trying other methods. Good luck.

alec_aloo

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Success Story.

Mine had exact same problem -> Phone not responding when uncharged and google logo flashing with vibration when charged. Bootloader option didnt work because bootloader also used to refresh back with the google logo.

Simple trick: The power button is stuck/ some connection inside doesnt connect well. Tap around the power button a few times (both above and below).

Works like a charm. :)