Nexus 5 Crashed and constantly trying to reboot

brycemarley

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Well not the best way to start a first post :(

Had my Nexus 5 for about a month now, and have loved it till this morning, it decided to just shut off (full battery too) and i tried to turn it on and it is now just constantly starting up to the "Google" splash screen then shutting off.

Sometimes it gets to the the 4 color circles then shuts off.

Just now got through to start up and the screen flashed on and off and by the time i got to settings crashed and shut off again.

Anyone else had this issue?? or know of a fix. I can't even get it to stop trying to turn on!

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
You've tried holding the button down for 20 or 30 seconds until it goes off and then restarts again with the Google logo?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! As suggested by TraderGary, hold the power button to force it into a reboot and see if that works. If not, then get into recovery and factory reset:
1.If your phone is on, power it off.
2.Press & hold Volume Down and Volume Up, and then press & hold Power simultaneously until the device turns on. You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
3.Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
4.Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
5.While holding down Power, press Volume Up.
6.Use the volume keys to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press Power to select it.
7.Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press Power to select it.
https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3501115?hl=en

You'll lose all your data, but should get you booted. If not, then you'll have to consider installing the factory image, which is a little more work but not difficult if you take the time to read the process.

brycemarley

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help,

All attempts to reset or factory reset through buttons didn't work, it just sat on my desk starting up "Google" then shut down and repeat ever 5 seconds for an hour. Then it started up and didn't reset! So i factory rest the phone to be safe! Had no issues since.

Only App i downloaded before this was Translate.com so won't be putting that back on... Just in case!

Just glad i haven't had to return the phone for a replacement :touch wood:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That's great news! Keep us posted and let us know if you have further questions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Jatin Kakkar

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Well not the best way to start a first post :(

Had my Nexus 5 for about a month now, and have loved it till this morning, it decided to just shut off (full battery too) and i tried to turn it on and it is now just constantly starting up to the "Google" splash screen then shutting off.

Sometimes it gets to the the 4 color circles then shuts off.

Just now got through to start up and the screen flashed on and off and by the time i got to settings crashed and shut off again.

Anyone else had this issue?? or know of a fix. I can't even get it to stop trying to turn on!

I experienced the same problem last night but I thought my power button may have damaged. I pressed it hard 2 3 times now it works fine. But today I unrooted and relocked my nexus 5 so that if any problem comes I can send it back to company.

soliver19

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 5 is only about 3 months old and every time I try to connect to any WiFi (not just my house) it freezes and re-boots itself. I've tried everything and even did a factory re-set but it still will not connect to WiFi anywhere without shutting down. Nobody I have talked to has seen this before or knows what to do so I am very desperate for some help!

Josh Pauls

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I just had the exact same problem last night. The phone was working absolutely perfectly for about 2 months now, then last night it crashed and has been stuck in a loop of attempted rebooting for the past 20 hours. Doesn't get past the flash colour animation after the google startup screen. It has successfully booted up a few times now but then crashes after about 30 seconds and starts the loop again. One thing i noticed when it did boot up was the power button seems to be extremely sensitive and volatile, so much that even a slight touch would turn the screen off.

Please help anyone, I need my Nexus back and most of all I need a working phone!

Colin Longmuir

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a Nexus 5 about a week ago. The first few days it seemed that Skype and Yahoo Messenger were very laggy. Couldnt see what i typed until a few seconds after I typed or trying to scroll up and down in message history wouldnt happen until seconds after I touched the phone. That stopped for a while and now I seem to have a problem with my Google Keyboard. It randomly stops showing me my key presses ( those pop up flags so you know you have your finger on the right key) or showing me the trail of my swipe. Now at least 2 times a day the entire keyboard just crashes and I have to restart the phone in order to type anything at all.

I hope someone can help me please :D

Josh Pauls

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I contacted the seller and eventually ordered a replacement through my insurance due to come tomorrow, but 10 minutes ago my phone just started working fine!

So typical. I want to keep the phone I have already because of everything I have on it but I'm worried it will do it again.

Is there any way to get everything from my phone now onto the new one coming tomorrow?

Jatin Kakkar

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a Nexus 5 about a week ago. The first few days it seemed that Skype and Yahoo Messenger were very laggy. Couldnt see what i typed until a few seconds after I typed or trying to scroll up and down in message history wouldnt happen until seconds after I touched the phone. That stopped for a while and now I seem to have a problem with my Google Keyboard. It randomly stops showing me my key presses ( those pop up flags so you know you have your finger on the right key) or showing me the trail of my swipe. Now at least 2 times a day the entire keyboard just crashes and I have to restart the phone in order to type anything at all.

I hope someone can help me please :D

You may be right that there is something wrong with power button cause I also experience the same prob second time and I was able to resolve it by rapidly clicking the power button this way I was able to reach till home screen. 😭 were you able to find any solution ?

hilo jack

May 27, 2014
Visit site
My nexus5's problem:
1. It continuously reboot every 5 seconds.
2. I want to enter into recovery mode, but I have no time to click recovery mode as it reboots frequently(every 5 seconds).
3. It is nothing to do with battery.(Same problem with new battery )
--------------------
Somebody says senstive power button will cause this problem. Maybe.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean it reboots too fast before clicking Recovery? Are you following the steps that were linked above?

r3xcss

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I have had exactly the same problem. it would keep restarting and even a glance at the power button would cause it start up and start the loop of restarting. i have managed to turn it on by rapidly clicking the power button during the statrtup until i was at the lock screen. for now it seems that it worked. the phone is up and stable and i dont think its any kind of a software problems. i had this problem last night too but it resolved itself. for now the power button sensitivity is back to normal i hope it stays that way or ill have to replace it.

Thanks for help.

Shaun Butterworth

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I have that exact same problem right now and i dont know what to do!!!!! i loved this phone and had it for 4 months now. never dropped it or anything, just normal wear. I know i definitely didnt do anything, so its the phone itself. what should i do?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1aas