Nexus 6P Bad Battery Life, What Can I Do?

2010 ZR1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P Bad Battery Life

I've seen battery life drop after updates before. I would just clear the cache and try to reset the battery stats. But I do miss when I could go a day and a half, maybe two, without charging.

Posted via the Android Central App

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
1. Try clearing the app cache if you updated recently (saw this suggested in another thread).
2. I keep the screen at about 25-30% brightness. That really is bright enough in nearly all circumstances except direct sunlight. Trust me, you get used to it lol...
3. Download "network mode" from the play store. Use H+ rather than LTE whenever you can (this assumes you're on T-Mobile or ATT). LTE radios drain the battery faster, and H/H+ is plenty fast enough for audio and video. I'm on Verizon and it's either LTE or 3G...and I often use 3g. I only turn on LTE when I want to stream video.
4. Turn off Bluetooth scanning
5. Make sure locations is always on battery saver unless youre actively using maps.
I had already done much of this.

1. Did a complete factory reset last week.
2. Generally keep my screen in that range unless driving in daylight.
3. See above, but last night I turned on Airplane Mode plus Wi-Fi (have Project Fi, so Wi-Fi calls would work).
4. Had it off before, turned it off again after the reset.
5. I use navigation a lot, so this probably won't work, but last night I switched it off.

So I've done all this plus uninstalled GSam (other thread said it has wakelock issues with the N6P), took the phone off the charger and put next to my bed while I slept for 6 hours. Wake up and here's what I've got:

NoDoz.jpg

Google Play Services and Phone Idle were the only items in Battery and the former was awake THE WHOLE TIME. Doze doesn't work. I am so frustrated. You said 3 hours SOT is dismal. I would be Snoopy-dancing if I could get that from my 6P. As I posted in the other thread, I'm used to getting 2-1/2 hours of SOT in OVER 57 HOURS OFF CHARGER and still having 25% less with the OPO. SMDH

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
If you don't mind a charge then this thing is great, an hours charge will literally give you full battery life.

I think battery life is ok but if you don't mind tweaking you can get far better battery life.

My resolution this year is for my next Android phone to have great battery life without tweaking the hell out of it, turning all the features off or messing with kernels and ROM's. In 2016, I shouldn't still have to do this.

Yatezy

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
My resolution this year is for my next Android phone to have great battery life without tweaking the hell out of it, turning all the features off or messing with kernels and ROM's. In 2016, I shouldn't still have to do this.

And you're right. But isn't half the fun of a Nexus the ability to tweak the hellout of it?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just checked phone and after perhaps 5 hours off charger, it's at 78% with only 30 mins SOT. Google Play Services is top of the battery list and shows has having held the phone away of 4h 17m. Thanks, Google!

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Best battery life I've ever had was on my ascend mate 7. Their Android skin is kind of annoying but I'll bet the mate 8 (which I think also has a 4000+mah battery), would do just fine with Nova launcher. Used to get 8+ hours of screen on time... Consistently.

Nexus 6P

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I had already done much of this.

1. Did a complete factory reset last week.
2. Generally keep my screen in that range unless driving in daylight.
3. See above, but last night I turned on Airplane Mode plus Wi-Fi (have Project Fi, so Wi-Fi calls would work).
4. Had it off before, turned it off again after the reset.
5. I use navigation a lot, so this probably won't work, but last night I switched it off.

So I've done all this plus uninstalled GSam (other thread said it has wakelock issues with the N6P), took the phone off the charger and put next to my bed while I slept for 6 hours. Wake up and here's what I've got:

View attachment 223891

Google Play Services and Phone Idle were the only items in Battery and the former was awake THE WHOLE TIME. Doze doesn't work. I am so frustrated. You said 3 hours SOT is dismal. I would be Snoopy-dancing if I could get that from my 6P. As I posted in the other thread, I'm used to getting 2-1/2 hours of SOT in OVER 57 HOURS OFF CHARGER and still having 25% less with the OPO. SMDH

It appears you have an app that is keeping the phone awake. Unfortunately, since most Apps use the Google libraries to check for updates, the usage shows up as some Google app or Phone Idle rather than telling you the actual app. If your phone is rooted, GSAM or Wakelock Detector can tell you the actual app causing the phone to stay awake. If you aren't rooted, the best suggestion I can give is to do a factory reset and only add a few apps at a time, until you find the app that is causing the issue.

I know it is a pain; I went through it when I first bought my 6P in November and my phone was always awake. In my case, it was GasBuddy and Bluetooth; though GasBuddy is much better now than it was, though still can act up. Since I did that, including after the March update, I've had great battery life. I have "everything" turned on all the time: Bluetooth, LTE, WiFi, Location, Google Now, etc. My phone usage is usually fairly low (I typically only charge every other day), though on Monday I had over 3 hours screen on time and, when I finally decided to charge about noon on Tuesday, I still had over 40% battery.

I'll also say this seems to be an issue with "Marshmallow" specifically. I'm not sure if Google changed something and didn't tell the developers to watch for a particular issue or if some Developers just don't program the way Google has said they need to -- regardless, this appears to be an issue with pretty much all phones running Marshmallow and not the 6P specifically.

I understand the frustration and wish I had a better (and easier) solution.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not rooted because I want the security updates and use the fingerprint scanner. I took GSam off because the other thread said it had a problem with the N6P. I've stripped off many of the usual culprits - Facebook (use the web version, which sucks for my needs; had to keep Messenger) and Gas Buddy and am now trying no clock/weather widgets. I'm just so spoiled by the OPO's eternal battery; I was so accustomed to how fast it would drain based on circumstances, I could feel that an update had introduced a power-draining bug within a couple of hours before I even saw it mentioned online. Right now, after freaking nuking my phone with a reset, I have no idea how fast it will drain; if it will stay awake all night while I sleep.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm not rooted because I want the security updates and use the fingerprint scanner.

Where on earth did you get the idea that rooting disables your fingerprint scanner? It works just fine even when rooted. And you can still get security updates while rooted as well. You just have to get them off of Google's website and manually flash them yourself. It's a very easy process.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on VerLIEzon Wireless but without their shackles.

PJB264

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

The battery life on my 6P is so bad I'm considering going back to my V10 once it updates to 6.0. I love the Nexus line but battery life has been its downfall from day one. It's been off of the charger for less than an hour and it's already down to 89%.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

Just got the April security update. Will see how it goes over the next few days. It actually went into doze for a couple of hours today while I was napping. Rarely did that in March.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Where on earth did you get the idea that rooting disables your fingerprint scanner?
I meant it supposedly broke Android Pay, though I haven't looked harder into it.

After my last post I tried removing Google Fit and the perma-wakelock of Google Play Services went away. I'm still evaluating performance after the April update, but the day or second after booting Fit, I went 24 hours off charger with (I think) 2h SOT with 51% left. A massive improvement, albeit with airplane+wifi on at home.

Zach Charlie

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/2c00db2e472c698f813a31d5441dae23.jpg

I have been wanting a 6P since it came out. I went from a Nexus 4 to a Note 4 to an iPhone 6s Plus. I hated touch wiz and the fact that I had to wait for over a year to get Lollipop on my Note 4 when Google was just releasing Marshmallow. So due to a super discount from work I got a crazy deal on the 6s plus. The Battery is amazing!! And it's the only thing keeping me from switching. On my Note 4 I would get about 5 hours screen time on average. With the 6s Plus I'm getting between 8 and 10 hours of usage/ screen on time!!! It's sick!! The attached pic was taken just now. I disconnected from charge this morning at about 5:30am and it's almost 11:30pm and I have 9% remaining. And this isn't with the power saver feature turned on either. I really miss the android OS and feature set and really like the 6P but don't want to sacrifice great battery time. Thoughts??
Can you send some more pics with all the apps in usage fromtop to bottom? I don't think usage time is the same as screen on time

Zach Charlie

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
If you don't mind a charge then this thing is great, an hours charge will literally give you full battery life.

I think battery life is ok but if you don't mind tweaking you can get far better battery life.
What did you do for better battery life? I installed FRANCO KERNEL and it only seems to be doing marginally better(10-15%) what should I do? I have rooted my phone and don't know how to take advantage of it

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards