Nexus 6P Bad Battery Life, What Can I Do?

Zach Charlie

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
For me, resetting and installing FRANCO KERNEL fixed that issue, but it has come back and when creen is at lime 10%, Google play services will be at 6, so I don't know what to do

Griffleking

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys!

I have owned my Nexus 6P for about a month now and I love it, apart from one thing, Google Play Services. Like for many others, it has constantly and consistently been eating my battery by keeping the phone active all the time. I have read through some forums and tried turning off location services, running the app "Gservicefix" and so on. These quick fixes only works for couple of hours at most, and then it starts draining battery again by keeping the phone awake.

My phone is running stock android and I have not done anything else to modify it in any way. I also tried uninstalling the Facebook app and started using Metal instead but that didn´t help either.

I´m providing some pictures on how it looks in settings, sorry for it being in Swedish but I hope you get it anyway. 13054805_10207648500582907_467944143_o.jpg13054901_10207648491022668_1473777456_o.jpg13072316_10207648499342876_1312210850_o.jpg

Yatezy

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
What did you do for better battery life? I installed FRANCO KERNEL and it only seems to be doing marginally better(10-15%) what should I do? I have rooted my phone and don't know how to take advantage of it
Have a read through this thread, it's about governor tweaking. It's a bit indepth but you've gone to the hassle of rooting and installing a custom kernel, you might as well have a gander of what's actually going on.

forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/general/guide-advanced-interactive-governor-t3269557/post64279960#post64279960

There's a list of different governor tweaks at the bottom of the second comment. I use this one

forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=64648136&postcount=946

Called Ghostpepper. It's currently giving me easily 4.5 - 5 hours of screen on time over 24+ hours. I seem to be hitting similar SOT whilst using 4g although that's over a shorter period of time (during work).

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys!

I have owned my Nexus 6P for about a month now and I love it, apart from one thing, Google Play Services. Like for many others, it has constantly and consistently been eating my battery by keeping the phone active all the time. I have read through some forums and tried turning off location services, running the app "Gservicefix" and so on. These quick fixes only works for couple of hours at most, and then it starts draining battery again by keeping the phone awake.

My phone is running stock android and I have not done anything else to modify it in any way. I also tried uninstalling the Facebook app and started using Metal instead but that didn´t help either.

I´m providing some pictures on how it looks in settings, sorry for it being in Swedish but I hope you get it anyway. View attachment 225211View attachment 225212View attachment 225213

It is unlikely it is actually Google Play Services causing the battery drain. Instead, there is another app that is using libraries provided for the Apps by Google Play Services that is causing the drain. You can try removing apps and see if it makes a difference, though it is typically quicker and easier (because sometimes removing the app doesn't immediate fix the issue) to factory reset the phone. Additionally, on the off chance that something has "broken" in Google Play Services and it is causing the drain, then a factory reset should fix the issue.

Some apps that are known to cause issues with Marshmallow are Facebook, Weatherbug, and Gas Buddy.

Ronnie McCarthy

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P Bad Battery Life

I bought a Nexus 6P used on Swappa.com for a pretty great deal at $410 for a 64gb. I had a Moto X Pure edition and it was getting generally terrible battery life and I knew the 6P had great battery life generally about 5 hours screen on time, so I picked up this one. Ever since I got my 6P it hasn't been getting near those figures. I can generally manage around 3-3 and a half hours of screen on time but that's it and I have factory reset, set as new device and nothing has changed it I still can't pull those kinds of numbers. Do y'all think my battery is defective or something? I generally make it through the day but I want those amazing battery figures because it's a big reason I bought
this phone in the first place.

I'm pretty sure I've solved the battery drain and heat issue to be honest, I spent days toggling the location settings and found that if you turn it off completely, your battery will be amazing.

skaneria007

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6p and the battery lasts pretty much a day or something. If you are experiencing a short battery life, contact Huawei/Google about a defective battery. Or else take the following measures:

1) Since the Nexus 6p uses the AMOLED technology (FYI: In AMOLED, individual pixels are lit up, giving deeper blacks and better colors) , battery can be used up really quickly if there is too much color on the screen. I suggest you keep a pure black wallpaper so that lesser pixels are lit up, thus saving you at least couple of hours of battery life.

2) Try bringing the screen brightness down a couple of notches, which can also save a lot of battery.

3) Install less apps which run in the background (downloading stuff can also take up battery) and turn off unnecessary synchronization in your account.

4) Disable connectivity features like bluetooth, NFC and wifi when not in use.

5) Always properly charge your phone, and maintain this habit so you have a better battery life over the years.

Hope these suggestions work ;)
Regards,
Sahil

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Although this thread is periodically resurrected, wanted to know if anyone has noticed a difference since the update. Specifically, in the last 30 days until my update two days ago, I could not get my battery through the day. I use my phone more for the phone than anything else, although I do regularly check emails, facebook, surf, etc. However, last month, I could not get more than a few hours SOT. I tried everything I know, like clearing the cache regularly, turning down the brightness, and the other usuals. Then I got the update this week. Since then, it's been a LOT better. If needed, I can go until the next day before having to recharge. Anyone else notice a difference?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I'll tell you that battery life I great on My phone with even moderate to heavy usage um getting a full day our if it. I can't complain. That extreme. Size feature coupled with keeping the screen brightness low most if the time really does work wonders.

Munter2

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
When I first got the phone a couple of months ago the battery life was pathetic and barely made 12 hours. I came across an article that said to clear the phone's cache at the start up screen. Did that and now I get 2 to 3 days on a charge with the same usage. You need to clear the partition cache, not the app cache. The instructions are:
Power off
Press and hold Power & Volume Down
Use volume up or down to select Recovery then press Power
When you see the dead Android on its back, press both Power and Volume Up at the same time for just a second, don't hold them for too long. Then you'll be in Recovery.
Go to wipe cache
Reboot

rticknor

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
angelbones1, yes, I've noticed a huge improvement since the update last week. For me, it has to do with Bluetooth and huawei watch. For the past few months, when ever I am in range of my watch, the phone is always awake... some kind of Bluetooth wakelock. I'd be lucky to get 12 hours of moderate use on a full charge. But since the update, I'm getting 24+ hours and my phone is actually not always awake!

Before Update
Screenshot_20160702-182258.jpg

Screenshot_20160702-182252.jpg

After update - same type of usage. Note it now sleeps!
Screenshot_20160714-082241.jpg

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Not sure what was in this July update but after a cache wipe my battery life is much improved on Marshmallow. I look forward to what Nougat will bring.

Posted via the Android Central App

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine after having a Note 5 whose battery stamina was destroyed by the MM update. I waited seven months for AT&T to finally roll it out!

Anyways, the battery life of this new 6P is spectacular and, after reading through this thread, I guess it's good that I waited so long to get it. Haha.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing about 1.25% per hour idle battery consumption, at least partly due to low cellular signal. After reading this thread, I feel better, I guess. Maybe I'm not too far off from decent idle battery consumption. No where near the one that was .5% per hour, which has always been my target...actually, I'd be happy with less than 1% per hour battery use when idle.

I'm going to try a cell signal booster, that should help, and am switching cell providers to do that. One of the requirements that I have for providers is that wifi calling has to work for me, which eliminates Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint (who don't support wifi calling on the 6P) off the top. So you know who that leaves *smile*. And only a couple of the MVNO's that I'm aware of support wifi calling on the 6P (Project Fi and Republic Wireless).

Anyways, switching to TMobile, and going to see how that goes. I'm currently on Republic Wireless, which is great for wifi and uses TMobile, too, but I can't get a TMobile cell signal booster through them. I did try Project Fi, trouble with them was that while they have wifi calling, they don't use it unless there's virtually no cell signal available, which leads to some pretty bad calls. And I get tired of turning Airplane mode on and off, as well as wifi to force wifi at home.

Anyways, love the Nexus 6P, and Android N is also really great.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The thing that concerns me about the battery life on Nougat is that the computed power use is now double what it was on Marshmallow. On the latter, computed power use would be 100+ mAh per hour. I'm now at 6:30 SOT with 26% battery, about to plug in, and computed power use is at 1151 mAh. Android System is at 12%, and Android OS is at 10%., and keeping my device awake 30+ minutes each charge. On Marshmallow, both of those would hold steady at 1% for the duration of a charge.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The thing that concerns me about the battery life on Nougat is that the computed power use is now double what it was on Marshmallow. On the latter, computed power use would be 100+ mAh per hour. I'm now at 6:30 SOT with 26% battery, about to plug in, and computed power use is at 1151 mAh. Android System is at 12%, and Android OS is at 10%., and keeping my device awake 30+ minutes each charge. On Marshmallow, both of those would hold steady at 1% for the duration of a charge.

I've seen others express concern about the Android System and Android OS percentages. I've also noticed that they're always at the top of the list since the Nougat upgrade, but I'm also experiencing much improved battery life compared to Marshmallow. Is it possible that with Doze working differently and more effectively in Nougat that the Android System and Android OS processes, neither of which goes into Doze mode, use more battery as a percentage of total battery capacity while not causing worse battery life overall? That's certainly been my experience.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I've seen others express concern about the Android System and Android OS percentages. I've also noticed that they're always at the top of the list since the Nougat upgrade, but I'm also experiencing much improved battery life compared to Marshmallow. Is it possible that with Doze working differently and more effectively in Nougat that the Android System and Android OS processes, neither of which goes into Doze mode, use more battery as a percentage of total battery capacity while not causing worse battery life overall? That's certainly been my experience.

That explanation seems to make some sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred