NOTE 4- Charging Port Jammed/Damage related to Motherboard issue? Worth to replace Charging Port?

firemanc4

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
Hello, I appreciate your time and knowledge to help out.
As you are aware of the many issues with the note 4. I have been using this phone for 4 years now since it came out without any issues until the update (marshmallow?) that destroyed all the other note 4 users (wont turn on,reboots, ODEN screen, etc) experienced this and was all solved after I installed the WAKELOCK APP.

The only main issue during that time was I cannot let the phone battery reach 0% or else it would not back on.
The solution to this is replacing it with a full power spare battery and waiting for a good 5-10 mins before inserting it.
Upon reaching the home screen, I must turn the WakeLock app on IMMEDIATELY for the phone to stay on.
So I did this for months without shutting off my phone and it worked great, never again encountered those terrible common issues from the update(marshmallow?).

** My issue begins now** :
Until last week, I accidentally insert my charger the opposite way and jammed/damaged the charging port of the phone. Since my phone could not charge, I had to change between spare batteries.
Everything was working fine by the same procedure of waiting 5-10 mins before inserting a new full power battery.
Until a few days later it STOPPED TURNING ON for good. I thought both my spare batteries were dead (which is unlikely) so I brought it in a store and tested it with a technician using a full battery and still no sign of turning on.

** My question**

Could a damaged charging port affect the motherboard? I only jammed the charging port, is this is enough to affect the motherboard? I read the charging port is connected tightly with power button/motherboard ?

The thing is my phone been working perfectly fine for months with the wakelock app... until I jammed the charging port.. how could this affect the motherboard severely? Would replacing the charging port be worth a try since there were no serious issues before the charging port incident?

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Would replacing the charging port be worth a try since there were no serious issues before the charging port incident?

It looks like a new port is about $25 (edit to clarify - this is the part only assuming you were willing to do the repair yourself as described below) from iFixit, and the replacement is rated "Moderate", as it calls for removing the screen which has some risk. Their rated max time for someone who has some experience fixing phones is about 2 hours. You may be able to find the port board cheaper elsewhere.

So with $25 and at most a few hours to invest, I'd say yes, it's probably worth trying. Worst case is that you either break the screen or discover the USB daughterboard is not the limit of your problems, and then you are out $25 and can say you tried...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+Note+4+Micro-USB+Port+Daughterboard+Replacement/35006

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
For removing the screen, that's not a reasonable price, it's a giveaway price. Just removing the screen should cost more. Then replacing the board with the port (which is pretty cheap) and replacing the screen - around here, they charge about $80. And this is a town full of soldiers, not the wealthiest customers around.

@firemanc4: Running the battery down to 0% is a good way to kill it - I'm surprised that it lasted this long. Rule of thumb, backed up by Cadex, the largest maker of battery testing equipment in the world - never discharge the battery to below 40%. (And recent studies have shown that we shouldn't charge them to more than about 80-85%.) Lithium aren't the best battery choice there is, but they're the lightest ones, and that's what everyone wants, so that's what everyone gets. (I wouldn't mind carrying a Gel-cel in by pocket, with a cable to feed the phone. Heavy (lead) but you can discharge it to 0 without harming it, and you can charge it to 100%. And a reasonably sized Gel-cel would give you very heavy usage for a week between charges.)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
For removing the screen, that's not a reasonable price, it's a giveaway price. Just removing the screen should cost more. Then replacing the board with the port (which is pretty cheap) and replacing the screen - around here, they charge about $80. And this is a town full of soldiers, not the wealthiest customers around.

The $25 is the cost of the part from iFixIt if someone chose to do the repair themselves. Obviously if you took it to a shop they would charge a very justifiable labor charge of $50 or more on top of that. Edited my post to clarify that.

daninbluemd

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I replaced mine recently (cracked the screen & replaced it too w/a brand new Samsung screen) & was well worth it to me, not to mention my wife & kids were totally impressed that I did it:). Worst part, besides cracking the screen & I was careful but had never opened up a phone) was cleaning out all the old screen sealant but I thought that was necessary to ensure a good seal.