Note 5 Battery life thread

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
It happened to me two times seems like 89% is the magic number. The Android OS stayed awake. Just restart the phone and charge it and it'll most likely fix the issue. The second time it was the media server.

Posted via the Android Central App

I did restart it then charged it. Just woke up, and so I'll see how it goes today.

ScottH323

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
So with GPSD sucking 20% of my battery, I thought I would try to turn off wifi completely. Believe it or not, at 15 hours of use starting at a full charge, I'm only down to 67%. I had wifi searching off too. I only use wifi at home, so I guess I'm just going to toggle it on when I get home.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so last night I deleted Dropbox, as I use ES Explorer and I am trying a new Browser, Dolphin....my battery is doing pretty well. It's at 84% and only been up since 845 this morning.

Benn Aff

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I lose 3 - 4% per hour on android system usage, when mobile data is on.
If I turn off mobile data, then i lose 0.5-1% per hour.
I think, that modem is crazy, because 1 hour in standby Kernel Wake lock lli_pm_wlock: 9m 48s 854ms (771 times)

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Sounds good..try draining it all the way to 0%?

Draining a fixed battery phone down to zero is risky because what if you have to leave when it's at zero? You have a brick. I have a Note 2 with 4 batteries and 2 wall chargers so I'm OK for days.

Since my phone, which was fried by repeated access to Microsoft Exchange acts (wrong service settings), had been serviced and most parts replaced, it's magnificent.

tentativeuser

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm new to this thread, which seems to have several thousand previous posts. I have only read a few of them. I hope it will be okay if I share my experience and maybe there will be some suggestions. If there's somewhere else I should or should have posted it, please let me know.

For Christmas I got an unlocked Verizon-version Note 5 64GB in the US for use elsewhere. I noticed immediately the battery drained rather fast, but assumed this was normal. Now, however, my friends have informed me that it is not. Even with the screen on low, it loses about 1% of battery in about 4 minutes. With the screen on the brightest, it's about 2.

I'm not a super heavy phone user, but I can barely make through the day without a charger.

I've uninstalled or disabled all the bloatware that came with the phone, and Facebook too because I've been told it can sometimes use battery without displaying that it's doing so. But now I'm out of ideas. Could it be somehow because my phone is trying to connect to Verizon? Is it something I did? Is my phone a lemon?

I really like this phone, but I'm very sad and frustrated about this.

P.S.: If I leave it unplugged while I sleep and turn wi-fi and the screen off, it still runs down about 10%.

Last edited:

guacapoli

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I actually just switched from an AT&T Note 5 to a Verizon Note 5 because my job added me to their plan. The battery life is just terrible. I will mostly only use email (manual fetch) and texting and yet my battery will still go down an at incredible rate.

I'm praying the Marshmallow update will fix this. Part of me wishes I got the Note 4 so I can carry extra batteries. This battery life is just not cutting it.

tentativeuser

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I haven't read this thread searching for "Verizon," but is this a common problem with Verizon Note 5's?

I've half a mind to try and see if I can return it and get another phone. I tend to use phones until they're hopelessly obsolete, but I don't think I can take this battery life for that long.

snppr22

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Like the commenter about, tentativeuser, I have not read through much of this thread. I have had my 32 GB VZW Note 5 since October and the battery life has been declining rapidly. On WiFi, with a good 4G signal (and a network extender as backup) and with the screen brightness at auto I am lucky to get 8 hours of battery with maybe 3 hours of screen on time. And that is when I clear the cache and start from a full charge. If I don't clear the cache and restart the phone (at least) daily the battery life will decline. And when I am on the road (I travel for work) it isn't even close. I know that signal is a big factor, but it takes maybe 3 hours of standby with auto brightness and moderate use to get down to 40-50%.

I have poked around here a bit and I have called Samsung and found some weird information. When I run a diagnostic with the Samsung Plus app it flags that NFL mobile is using a excessive amount of data (2GB in the last 24 hours) even though I disabled it the day I got the phone. Just to be sure I enabled, updated, restarted the phone, and then disabled the app. I cleared the cache and restarted again and a day later it still said that NFL mobile was using an excessive amount of data. Samsung is supposed to call back after they investigate, but I am not holding my breath.

Anyone have any thoughts?

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
So last night , I had charged my battery to 100% at midnight, went to bed and then woke up to it draining 11%!!! In 7.5 hours. That's to 89%. Now, tonight I charged the phone , and it was full at 100% by 10p.m. IT IS 1:38 AM and I'm down to 65%!! This is insane!!

That's the boat I'm in. Well, maybe half as bad. I went to turn the app manger off and it was already turned off. I've been testing different things every night to see what's eating up the battery, like turning off all connectivity and that one I only had like 2% drain for the night. But that means that during the day in standby mode it's still sucking down the power.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
That's the boat I'm in. Well, maybe half as bad. I went to turn the app manger off and it was already turned off. I've been testing different things every night to see what's eating up the battery, like turning off all connectivity and that one I only had like 2% drain for the night. But that means that during the day in standby mode it's still sucking down the power.

I deleted Chrome Browser as it uses up a lot of data usage , using Dolphin Browser; disabled some more apps or restricted them to the background. I deleted Dropbox, as I use ES Explorer, and now my battery is stellar. I haven't used it heavily yet, but still I'm happy because I definitely won't need to worry about charging.

Attachments

• 1453586315683.jpg
    1453586315683.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 60

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I deleted Chrome Browser as it uses up a lot of data usage , using Dolphin Browser; disabled some more apps or restricted them to the background. I deleted Dropbox, as I use ES Explorer, and now my battery is stellar. I haven't used it heavily yet, but still I'm happy because I definitely won't need to worry about charging.

Have you tried the data saver in chrome?
780.jpg

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I've come to the conclusion that this phone is just randomly up and down for me. After stressing for a while about what happened with my Package Disabler Pro and my phone going haywire with battery once I disabled stuff again + having Knox forced on me (I think maybe I disabled something I shouldn't have, creating some battery issues), I re-enabled everything again disabled stuff, this time only disabling the stuff according to a screenshot I posted in this thread in early December. Just now decided to disable S Finder and S Voice and OneNote. I don't use them but hopefully it doesn't break anything if I disable them with PDP.

For two days my battery was really, really good with my normal use. Screen time low but I went over 24 hours without having to charge. Fast forward to yesterday and today and it's pretty inexplicable again. Didn't even use Spotify today and my phone is down to 39% and it's only been off battery for 11 hours. Guess this is just how it is.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site

Did you mean data or battery usage?

I used to use dolphin, but it crashes and then you lose all your tabs.

alejovh1#AC

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine a couple of days ago from tmobile and the battery is really bad. Today, I had about 85% battery left at 8 am and left the phone on my desk for about 9 hours to find out it lost 20% battery just on standby. Nothing running on the background and I have full bars of service at my house. I'm a little disappointed and wonder if I should have gotten a 6p instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia