Note 5 Suddenly doesnt accept fingerprint or backup pass?!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 5 Suddenly doesnt accept fingerprint or backup pass?! WTF!

If you have the Samsung Find My Device turned on you can unlock it at Samsung.com

Also OrangeGal is correct, if you have two step authentication on you have to turn that off.

The factory reset is no different than getting a S6E+ a new phone or a reset have to be set back up all the same.

Last edited:

ncore13

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site

Anyone had this issue... suddenly my new Note 5 which has been working perfect since i got it says unable to recognize any of my 4 fingerprints, it prompts me to enter backup password which i know what it is and it wont take it, it then asks me to sign in via Google, again i put in my Google creds and it still says invalid password! WTF! Never seen this happen before, even with ADM i set a new lock code and that does nothing.
Last thing i want to do is factory wipe the phone, set it up again which will take forever, then have this happen again, defective phone???

There is definitely something to this. I could not PIN unlock my phone yesterday am (NOTE 4). I unlocked the phone using my Samsung Account. I reset the PIN. When the phone locked again the New PIN would not unlock it. I tried the process again I set the PIN to 1234 just to ensure it was not an error on my part. Again could not unlock phone. Went on to Samsung again to unlock the phone. Set a pattern password and it works. PIN and Password lock the phone permanently.

I have a colleague who has a S6 and she had the exact same issue as in the original Thread and not with PIN like myself. I am in the same situation and would prefer not to factory reset.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

Anyone thought maybe they have done these phones the same way RIM did blackberry? If it can't connect to a server then it won't unlock. Crazy I know but sure sounds like that very thing. Had my son's iPhone 5s do this crap and had to go off on apple. I said call the a hole linked to the Apple account and tell him I stole the phone and hung up. He actually called the number and I answered a hole how can I help you! He remote unlocked it. If Apple has it you can bet samsung does too.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Anyone thought maybe they have done these phones the same way RIM did blackberry? If it can't connect to a server then it won't unlock. Crazy I know but sure sounds like that very thing. Had my son's iPhone 5s do this crap and had to go off on apple. I said call the a hole linked to the Apple account and tell him I stole the phone and hung up. He actually called the number and I answered a hole how can I help you! He remote unlocked it. If Apple has it you can bet samsung does too.

It isn't a Samsung lock.

keithdroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Wow...I had been looking for this and didn't see anything. 2 months ago we went out of the country to a Caribbean Island and the first night this happened, wouldn't take fingerprint and/or PIN. I ended up believing that because we had been traveling all day, had a few drinks, it was 100% humid and then jumped on the hotel wifi that I got hacked or something. Ended up doing a factory reset and found that everything was ok when I checked all my accounts the next day. I switch phones all the time so it was not "that" big a deal, but I thought it was me. Now I know it wasn't. Thanks for posting.

RENZS6

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
first time using this , i had the same problem for three days i refused to hard reset...tried everything i thank that beautiful lady who said to remove the google two step verification.....try that...it worked for me . hope the same for anyone else...thank you very much

RENZS6

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site

i want to thank you..... it worked for me, i was so against the hard reset for 3 days..tried the turning off of the 2 step verification and it worked...im sooooooo happy...

SCD23x

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me once after I took an Uber to the middle of nowhere. I was able to text my bro through my Moto 360 to figure out how to resolve this issue. Unfortunately all that could be done was a hard reset. I was not pleased

Last edited by a moderator:

rjw

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
This has happened to me twice and once for my ex-wife. The first time it happened I was Christmas shopping and figured I'll deal with when I got home. Ended being a 2 hour process as I didn't recall my backup password and my Google password wasn't working likely due to the two factor authentication. Ended up wiping my phone and still at that point couldnt complete the process since two factor was configured on my account. Luckily I used my backup code from Google and configured my work phone and got in.

Second time it happened my backup password worked. But it seems more or less a sofware issue.

Roydageneral

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I tried simple reset, but did not work. Now if I do a hard reset, will it erase all my pictures, SMS, and videos?

Could I sing up with some Samsung service, anything, to unlock my Note 5?

Roydageneral

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I also tried to unlock thru my Google Device Manager function, but now says, "Locked by Android Device Manager," what do I do, can I unlock it thru Device Manager? How?

Roydageneral

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE & Good News:

During my frantic search I logged onto my Google account from my desktop trying to find a way out. I got the screen where it said to lock phone in order to enter a new password. I did that and I entered a new password. When I tried the new password, phone would not take it. After a few failed attempts, I kept on entering the "new" password which I had set up thru "Lock Phone to Enter a New Password." I entered that password repeatedly every time I got "Incorrect Password" or something to that effect. After 3 attempts, I think, I was promoted to enter my Google account info, email address and password, and those I knew. After I entered that info, the screen unlocked and I was prompted to select a new security method, but I declined, and now my phone works without a need to enter a fingerprint, password, or the pattern. I'll set that up once I feel more comfortable and the pain of this experience has lifted:)

How do I make sure this does not happen again? I guess I don't mind doing a hard reset if I had a way to save my pictures, texts, and stuff like that. I hope this is not a device problem. Will Marsh-mellow resolve this type of a problem? When will they release it? THANKS

Philip Sarlo

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Had the same problem yesterday and spent 2 hours on forums and with Samsung chat and Sprint chat and Best Buy hold and then Sprint Store. After trying everything known to man, even trying two things posted here on this string....a different screen came up which gave the option of logging into my google account-- it said after 5 tries of the attempts at the backup password login's! It worked!!! However it seems like I did it closer to 15 times. So I would suggest before wiping the phone and losing all your photos and stuff...continue a large number of attempts to log in. Blessings, phil

brianlwiley

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Im not in the USA and it happened to me , I think it's because I'm not connect to my cellular company if so I'm going to let them know this is unacceptable

Min Joon Do1

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I am experiencing this problem and it's giving me a headache. Unlike most of you, my note 5 is disconnected from wifi or mobile data so that eliminates samsung find my mobile route and google route. I don't want to perform a factory reset because that's another headache as I haven't backed up all of my files in my phone. Help!

TV417

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I am experiencing this problem and it's giving me a headache. Unlike most of you, my note 5 is disconnected from wifi or mobile data so that eliminates samsung find my mobile route and google route. I don't want to perform a factory reset because that's another headache as I haven't backed up all of my files in my phone. Help!

It happened to me last week. And it gave me the option of using my Google sign on to get in. Try that.

Posted via the Android Central App

tedkaz3

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Disabling the 2 step authentication in my Google account helped me.... Was able to go in and reset my fingerprints and backup password on the Note 5..I hope this isn't going to be a regular occurrence.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjalishri