Noticing some issues with my Verizon S8. Want to get some opinions before I swap for a new S8

omelet1978

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I've noticed a few issues with my S8. I feel like I might have gotten a bad one since I downgraded from an S8+ and did not have any issues AND it was set up identically (same for my S7 Edge). This is a Verizon phone. When I called tech support they had me reset my antennas but that did not fix the problem.

1. At work my 4G LTE is very slow. All apps are slow and I get the spinning circle constantly.

2. I've noticed that reception on phone calls is pretty bad when talking to multiple people.

3. There seems to be a voicemail bug. I put the phone up to my ear and the voicemail stops. I have to use it on speaker.

Think I should swap it for a new one with Verizon? This should be covered under the warranty, so it just would be a pain to re-do all my settings.

Thanks

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
My S8 plus does the same thing with the voicemail. Always has.

As far as the 4g goes. I live Tucson AZ and I've noticed a degredation in network quality over the last 2 years. I used to be able to go anywhere in town and never buffer. I was one of the people clinging to unlimited data when not many people had it. I think the fact that anyone and their brother can get it now is coming at a price. My speeds are down and so is reliability

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The voicemail bug is the only one of those that I have and it seems to be a pretty well known bug on Verizon. It goes beyond the S8. I saw comments about it going back to the S6. I don't recall having that issue on my 7Edge or any of my Note phones.

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
My 4g is slow at work also but that's the same no matter what phone I use. The other issues I haven't really run into. Could be the phone but also could be the network. How long has it been like this?

omelet1978

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
My 4g is slow at work also but that's the same no matter what phone I use. The other issues I haven't really run into. Could be the phone but also could be the network. How long has it been like this?
since I got this phone. Had an S7 Edge and an S8+ before and did not have slow LTE at work

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I'd tend to disagree with that assessment. Have been very pleased with LTE speeds on Verizon with S8+.

View attachment 262346

I'm not having results like that at all. You must be in a big city near a huge tower.
bae0f1320d683183a92b2d26798dcc5a.jpg

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Verizon suggested doing a factory reset. Do you guys think that would help or is a waste of time?

Verizon's answer to everything is to do a factory reset. I had bad image retention on an LG V10 which is clearly a hardware issue and before they would replace it they wanted me to do a factory reset to see if that fixes it. It's their go to answer for everything.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Verizon's answer to everything is to do a factory reset. I had bad image retention on an LG V10 which is clearly a hardware issue and before they would replace it they wanted me to do a factory reset to see if that fixes it. It's their go to answer for everything.

Tech support is tech support whether its your phone, your PC, or your cable modem. Restart, reset....pull battery.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Tech support is tech support whether its your phone, your PC, or your cable modem. Restart, reset....pull battery.

But tech support should know the difference between a software issue and a hardware issue and not make people do full resets for no reason.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
But tech support should know the difference between a software issue and a hardware issue and not make people do full resets for no reason.
That's not how tech support works.... They follow a script for the most part and when the going gets rough they toss it up to tier two if you push a bit or they are totally lost. In not saying its the right thing to do, its just reality. When I call tech support for anything I'm usually ahead of them and many times I tell them what I've already done and let them know what I know and for the most part its a painless experience for me. If I get a total nube reading from a book I tell them I need to run and call back until I get someone more experienced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvltech