Official 4.0.4 release date and questions

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
And maybe a giant asteroid will hit the earth tomorrow and it wont matter.
No. According to a program I saw on the History Channel, the asteroid isn't due until December 2012 when the Mayan calendar runs out. Hope we get the update before then so we can track the destruction around the world.

Steven8

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I made a series of videos... never rooted my nexus. You don't need to. You just need to unlock the bootloader, but that will wipe your phone. Its why everyone here recommended unlocking the bootloader from day 1. Updating from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 doesn't require a wipe, so if you unlocked your bootloader, you will keep all your info.

First, unlock the bootloader. You can do this on any computer (windows, mac, linux). My videos are done on mac, but the general process is exactly the same.
Download the sdk and install it from Android Developers
next, you will need to get fastboot for your computer. You can google and download it, or if you're tech savvy, you can compile it on your own (I would just download it, its a small file). Once you have it downloaded, place it in your platform-tools folder (you must run android.exe or equivalent to get the sdk tools which is how this folder is downloaded to your computer)
Once you have those, then you can unlock the bootloader. Follow this tutorial. If you are using a windows machine, use command prompt (type cmd in the start menu). Remember where you have the sdk downloaded to. I have mine in c:\ on my desktop, so my code for navigating to it would be:
Code:
cd c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
the only other difference from my video is wherever is put "./" you leave out
for example,
Mac code:
Code:
./adb reboot bootloader
is Windows code:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Here's the video:
Click to view quoted video

Once you've done that, you can update immediately afterwards
Download the update file and put it on your phone
Download a toro (verizon galaxy nexus code name) specific clockwork mod recovery, I used the new touch recovery. Place the recovery image (i renamed mine to recovery.img) into that platform-tools folder
code for this is really simple:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot recovery.img
here's that video:
Click to view quoted video

Andrew, no matter what I do I keep getting the error "cannot load recovery.img" Any explanation?

Thanks!

mojitomcqueen

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone. I just flashed a rooted version of the 4.0.4 ota and flashed Franco's kernel. Battery isn't very good at all but the phone is running very well. Anyway, when I flashed the rooted ota you could get one WITH or WITHOUT new radios. I got the one WITH. What is the difference and did I make the correct decision??

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
flashed the rooted ota you could get one WITH or WITHOUT new radios. I got the one WITH. What is the difference and did I make the correct decision??

Main difference is the hand off between 3g and 4G is smoother. Almost instantaneous compared to the 30 40 second delay it had before.
I'm right on the edge of a 4G area so my connection flounders between 3 and 4 all day. I just don't get the no connection error anymore. Awesome improvement in my books.

ac7822

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So I know that the updates are located in the ROM section. But I can't make heads or tails on where to start. Is there a good tutorial out there that can tell me how to update my phone?
If you're still interested head over to rootzwiki.com navigate to Samsung> galaxy nexus cdma> Development section and click on the stickies. There's a big thread explaining all about how to root and flash roms and everything.
Sorry AC for referring to an outside site but that's the best site out for development

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My phone had no signal so I rebooted (since I am on 4.02)
It came up to the boot loader screen and said downloading.....
Start was in big green letters with the outline around it pointing to the power button.
After a few mins I hit the power button and nothing.

Anybody experience this?

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My phone had no signal so I rebooted (since I am on 4.02)
It came up to the boot loader screen and said downloading.....
Start was in big green letters with the outline around it pointing to the power button.
After a few mins I hit the power button and nothing.

Anybody experience this?

Sounds like you went into Odin mode (power button + volume down).

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Since there were known issues on release and we are 6 days short of 4 months since release I think the previous post is a bit over the top.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I think the "known issues" are a bit on the the hyperbole side.

Other people's issues are always overblown whereas one's own issue is always an emergency. But even taking that into consideration do you feel four months is not long enough or are you posting just for the heck of it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582