Okay, I admit...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I admit that Face Unlock works pretty well on my 4XL.

But, the fingerprint sensor on the 3XL was still faster and did not force some of the trade-offs associated with Face Unlock. Not to mention that none of my apps (banking, password manager, etc.) support Face Unlock at this time and no idea when or even if they ever will.

I don't know why Google chose to eliminate the FPS...

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I prefer face unlock it I had to choose, but I agree I miss the finger print imprint. It was convenient for banking apps etc. And just a good over all alternative to s pin #.

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

But, the fingerprint sensor on the 3XL was still faster and did not force some of the trade-offs associated with Face Unlock. Not to mention that none of my apps (banking, password manager, etc.) support Face Unlock at this time and no idea when or even if they ever will.

Well i can see not eliminating it but ponder this, when i work outside and/or work out at the gym, dirty and/or sweaty fingertips lead to fingerprint scanner not working. I would have to stop and dry and/or clean my hands off. With Face Unlock, that doesnt ever happen, even with sunglasses on.
ALso if i am wearing gloves, fingerprint does not work.

For me, I'd love to have both but if given only one, I'd take face unlock.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Its the #1 reason why I haven't upgraded yet. Too many tradeoffs and the fingerprint is just as fast. Even if someone argues its not, it would be only milliseconds behind. And I still wouldn't have to pull it up to my face or have all the false openings when I just want to check the time.

Watch google bring it back next year with one of those garbage in-screen fingerprint readers, instead of the back.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Its the #1 reason why I haven't upgraded yet. Too many tradeoffs and the fingerprint is just as fast. Even if someone argues its not, it would be only milliseconds behind. And I still wouldn't have to pull it up to my face or have all the false openings when I just want to check the time.

Watch google bring it back next year with one of those garbage in-screen fingerprint readers, instead of the back.

Fingerprint was not "just as fast" - it was faster. By the time my 3XL was within view of my face, it was already unlocked. The difference for me is very noticeable. Not to the point of being a problem, but still, noticeable.

For the moment, the worst part is that none of my banking apps or password manager support face unlock and there is no telling when, or if, they ever will.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Fingerprint was not "just as fast" - it was faster. By the time my 3XL was within view of my face, it was already unlocked. The difference for me is very noticeable. Not to the point of being a problem, but still, noticeable.

For the moment, the worst part is that none of my banking apps or password manager support face unlock and there is no telling when, or if, they ever will.

Which password manager do you use?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have zero issues using face id only since I have been using that on the iPhone from beginning. So using it on Pixel 4 was natural to me. I would have had an issue if my main app LastPass didn't support face unlock. But they do and for all my banking apps or any other app LastPass autofills. So non issue for me. But if LastPass wouldn't have supported then not sure if I could have used this as my main phone.

Ideally speaking agreed it'll be nice to have both and user make that choice. May be once iPhone does that, then Google adds it to Pixel as well.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I emailed my bank app developers and they said December 2nd update would work for face unlock on Android. So you can ask?

I actually am beginning to prefer face unlock but I still miss the fingerprint sensor for somethings

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

When I'm wearing gloves, when it's cold, face unlock smokes the fingerprint....

Same for wet or dirty hands, fingerprint just didn't work reliably.

So sometimes it's faster but sometimes it's way longer

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I emailed my bank app developers and they said December 2nd update would work for face unlock on Android. So you can ask?

I actually am beginning to prefer face unlock but I still miss the fingerprint sensor for somethings

What Bank did you email? I use Chase among others.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

This is a big reason I'm staying at 3XL until the next phone when apps will catch up. Plus there's just not really any reason to drop the bills on a 4XL. Sure, minor improvements and a gimmicky radar thing that has 0 effect on my life. Hoping for a nice improvement from the 5

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is a big reason I'm staying at 3XL until the next phone when apps will catch up. Plus there's just not really any reason to drop the bills on a 4XL. Sure, minor improvements and a gimmicky radar thing that has 0 effect on my life. Hoping for a nice improvement from the 5
We see what deals come soon for holidays, also interested if there be pix 4a probably be without face Id and just rear fingerprint scanner

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think there will most certainly be a new 'a' come spring... The 3a did too well for that not to happen. What gets carried forward, hard to say. But my money is that it will dump the fps and go with face unlock, just without Motion Sense, and using significant motion detection to turn on. They are pushing the new biometrics API, so I don't think they would not go that route.

Might even carry the second camera sensor too... The extra hardware cost is negligible and the software is already written.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What are you using? A lot have been upgraded to work (PW managers).

Password manager is eWallet. I've used it for years (all the way back to PalmOS) and I greatly prefer its ability to organize and categorize entries over any other password manager I have tried. I particularly disliked LastPass.

As to banking apps, WebsterBank (a New England local), Discover Card, Bank of America, T. Rowe Price, and Paypal. All worked with fingerprint; none currently work with Face Unlock.