OnePlus 8 Event enough to make you switch?

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
It looks awesome but I hate no micro SD card slot. I have a ton of pics, music and movies on mine and I love being able to just swap the card and instantly have all of it on my new phone immediately. I know SD slots are dying out on phones but it's an important feature for me. With that said, I think the phone seems amazing! I'd love to be able to test drive one for a week as a daily driver.
I agree, zero reason not to have an SD slot. To me Android is about choice. I don't want to store my music and audio files on my internal storage.

If Google or one plus had a technical reason not to have an SD card I could understand. The only reason they don't add one isnto get you to pay an extra $100.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Like the faster wireless charging but the lack of Samsung pay(fully aware of why it's not supported) and lack of bands on unlocked model(I have verizon and T-Mobile) kills it for me. Will wait to see it in the wild as I'm a tech geek that's always itching to try the latest plus green is my favorite color so we'll see

All green phones tempt me. I ordered a green iPhone 11 (non-Pro) that was on backorder before eventually cancelling.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I really thought either Samsung or One Plus would get me this year. Both have impressive hardware and excellent software.

But really, big deal? Neither phone has anything that's inching me to spend that amount of money. Disappointed in 2020 Android so far. Apple, for all their flaws, is doing it right. Providing VALUE and simplicity at almost every price point, instead of brut force specs and gigantic phones with eye watering prices.

That said, the Pro looks like an excellent device. If forced, I'd take it over the S20.

Last edited:

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Naw, lack of AT&T support is why I don't get OnePlus devices. They are nice tho. I'll wait for the Note 20 amd hopefully the rumors are true with an under display front camera.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
So with the event and reviews being out, I’m curious who is thinking about switching to one of the new OnePlus phones? I know I’m debating getting the Pro. I’ll do a bit more reading today but it’s really interesting me. Only thing I didn’t like is how the base model is a greenish blue tint and if you want black it’s $100 more on the Pro. That’s the part I’m struggling with. What are y’all thinking?

It's simple. If you like it, get it. You can always return it. It's only a mobile phone, not a car or house. They have them at Best Buy for a couple hundred dollars.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Nope. The camera on the S20 Ultra already leaves me wanting so the OnePlus would just p**s me off completely. If the camera wasn't that important I'd like to try one thought

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
Make me switch?? Are you kidding with the prices of these phones the only thing OnePlus did was guarantee I wont be buying one!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope. When they dropped these flagship prices, I'm no longer interested.

I agree that the prices are a little steep. But the IP 68 rating and that display... Well, I'm certainly not saying that the prices are justified - merely that these are the specs we've been waiting for and they cost a bit more to produce.

Maybe in a little while we'll see a price drop. One can hope.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hanging on to my OnePlus 7T and my S20 and my Pixel 3a.
Also the hobby device Oppo Reno 2 with 5X zoom.

These are good phones - definitely flagship level with flagship prices.
However Samsung always has great deals and with the right tactics you can get a brand new S series or Note device for way less than MSRP. With OnePlus I don't think those deals are possible yet so the prices are pretty high. That's just my 2 cents.

LPRodgers

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
All the S20s are the best phones out there right now, camera, performance and display and they keep getting better with each update. I've done camera comparisons against every flagship currently and with the latest update the S20s beat even the pixel 4XL. Samsung did a great job this year.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
People are forgetting yes the galaxy devices are priced higher, but their trade-in promotions are aggressive. Oneplus not so much. When you factor that in the oneplus device is actually more expensive. I know everyone doesn't have a trade. Speaking for the majority of us that like to upgrade frequently.
Make me switch?? Are you kidding with the prices of these phones the only thing OnePlus did was guarantee I wont be buying one!

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Didn't realize you posted this. Was just saying the same thing. They only want to give you like 230 for a S10+ and don't even have trade in pricing on Note 10/10+. Guess they feel people with those devices wouldn't want to trade in for the new oneplus
Hanging on to my OnePlus 7T and my S20 and my Pixel 3a.
Also the hobby device Oppo Reno 2 with 5X zoom.

These are good phones - definitely flagship level with flagship prices.
However Samsung always has great deals and with the right tactics you can get a brand new S series or Note device for way less than MSRP. With OnePlus I don't think those deals are possible yet so the prices are pretty high. That's just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001