OnePlus 8 Event enough to make you switch?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
People are forgetting yes the galaxy devices are priced higher, but their trade-in promotions are aggressive. Oneplus not so much. When you factor that in the oneplus device is actually more expensive. I know everyone doesn't have a trade. Speaking for the majority of us that like to upgrade frequently.

I forgot about this - it's true. Trade-in deals for major flagships kind of make the dent in your wallet a little smaller.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
It's simple. If you like it, get it. You can always return it. It's only a mobile phone, not a car or house. They have them at Best Buy for a couple hundred dollars.

I think you are not up to date on the phone in question. The 8 Pro isn’t out and it’s far more than a couple hundred. The point of forums is discussion, and we are aware you can just buy a phone. But talking is fun, especially when we are all stuck at home.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Honeymoon period started, move aside Ultra

4f7eeeef9f2a3a3580f8790a8219c7f4.jpg

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I passed getting the S20 Ultra and still have my Note 9. But if I absolutely had to replace my phone now, I would seriously consider the OnePlus 8 for one major feature - the new 30W wireless charging. For me personally, that is an extraordinary convenience. The ability to charge faster than Samsung's wired 25W charger by just placing on a wireless charging dock. That single feature means more to me than many others I don't care for, like 120 Hz refresh rate etc.

On another subject, I am extremely disappointed to read rumours of Samsung significantly upgrading the "selfie" camera on the upcoming S21. Who cares really about a large sensor and OIS for the front camera? Things like super fast and efficient wireless charging are far more practical for most people.

reintgenrc

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
The Pro looks nice. I am going to pass since it looks like AT&T is not playing nicely with OnePlus. I tried the 7 and 7 Pro and neither worked very well on AT&T (dropped calls, lack of reception, slow speeds, etc.) and now I see that AT&T will not certify the 8 Pro for 5G on AT&T's network. I am not that concerned about 5G, but it likely means that AT&T will not allow its features (HD Voice, wifi calling, etc.) to work. More importantly, I doubt the reception issues from the 7 will be fixed. I will see what other AT&T users report once it comes out, but right now I have to pass. BTW, I am with you on wanting the base level in black.
Really glad I read this. I'm an AT&T customer and felt bad when the 8 Pro was released. Love my S20 Ultra though.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No switching getting the 8 Pro, but may sell the S20 Ultra down the line in couple of months of I like the 8 Pro. They have addressed couple of my main concerns in terms of adding wireless charging and improving camera (have to test out myself). But the 8 Pro overall looks like a solid device that can go head to head with any phone.
I thought you ended up with the S20 plus

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I thought you ended up with the S20 plus
No settled with the Ultra over S20+ since selling it currently was going to be a pain and people are going to offer $500 less than retail. Doesn't make sense selling at that price so will ride it till Note 20.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think you are not up to date on the phone in question. The 8 Pro isn’t out and it’s far more than a couple hundred. The point of forums is discussion, and we are aware you can just buy a phone. But talking is fun, especially when we are all stuck at home.
I'm just waiting for the first Zombie to ring the bell.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I passed getting the S20 Ultra and still have my Note 9. But if I absolutely had to replace my phone now, I would seriously consider the OnePlus 8 for one major feature - the new 30W wireless charging. For me personally, that is an extraordinary convenience. The ability to charge faster than Samsung's wired 25W charger by just placing on a wireless charging dock. That single feature means more to me than many others I don't care for, like 120 Hz refresh rate etc.

On another subject, I am extremely disappointed to read rumours of Samsung significantly upgrading the "selfie" camera on the upcoming S21. Who cares really about a large sensor and OIS for the front camera? Things like super fast and efficient wireless charging are far more practical for most people.
If that's your priority and it makes sense to you. I've never bought a phone for how fast it can charge...wired or wireless.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. A few minutes more mean nothing when there's so many ways to charge your devices on the go. Seeing that I have a watch and buds I much prefer the reverse charging.
If that's your priority and it makes sense to you. I've never bought a phone for how fast it can charge...wired or wireless.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I never thought I would say this, the Ultra is more comfortable to use in hand compared to OnePlus 8 Pro. Curved screens please die soon.

Absolutely great phone in every aspect the 8 pro, but the curved screen is slowly getting to my nerve lol

Even though S20 series isn't completely flat, I think Samsung got that part great. I still prefer completely flat but the S20 curved screens don't bother me one bit mainly because that aren't that curved

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I never thought I would say this, the Ultra is more comfortable to use in hand compared to OnePlus 8 Pro. Curved screens please die soon.

Absolutely great phone in every aspect the 8 pro, but the curved screen is slowly getting to my nerve lol

Even though S20 series isn't completely flat, I think Samsung got that part great. I still prefer completely flat but the S20 curved screens don't bother me one bit mainly because that aren't that curved

I wondered about that. Thanks!

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I disagree with this. Well kind of, yes I do agree the curved edges of the s20 is better and they did get that right but the OP 8 pro is much more comfortable in the hands. It's better balanced, not as heavy. Really the curved edges don't bother me much.