Only 16 app spots?

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Maybe I'm missing something. My Wife's old EVO had 16 app spots (4 rows, 4 columns) (dock excluded). My Photon has 20 app spots (5 rows, 4 columns). When I ordered this phone for her I was excited that she would finally have more home screen real estate, or at least the same real estate as my MoPho - especially since she literally has more home screen than me. However, after firing up the EVOLTE, I found it only has 16 spots, as her her original EVO had. Am I missing something, why doesn't the larger screen offer more app spots? I was actually thinking should be be able to have 24 icons since it's larger than my MoPho.

She's a very vanilla person when it comes to phones, she doesn't like me to mess with it much. However, if I put GO Launcher EX on there and changed the grid size, would it look messed up?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You could try a 3rd party launcher.

Also give it a little time, if your the "rooting type" I would imagine it will be one of the many tackled tasks when the dev's dig into things is to change or give option to change the home screen layouts...

SirThale

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
My photon only has 4x4 plus 4 in the dock. Are you sure you're not confusing the dock with another row since it doesn't have a different look like the HTC phones do?

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

witnercoat

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I know there are solutions like 3rd party launchers, but I agree, this was one of the few disappointments. I've been running 5x4 on my old EVO using ADW Launcher and with this bigger screen, it feels like there is a ton of real estate between apps!

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I didn't like it on the OG EVO so I've been using Launch-X Pro for a long time and it works even better on the EVOLTE. It's not a full replacement launcher, just lets you make your own widgets to use the screen real estate better.

Pace Racing

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
You can try the multicon widget. I used that very successfully on my of evo and never had a problem with it. Great little utility.

Last edited:

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I didn't like it on the OG EVO so I've been using Launch-X Pro for a long time and it works even better on the EVOLTE. It's not a full replacement launcher, just lets you make your own widgets to use the screen real estate better.

what is that battery widget you have there?

EeJLP-

May 25, 2012
Visit site
It basically has 21 app spots.

The normal 4x4 (16), plus 4 in the bottom row that you can edit (20), plus hold the camera button down for a second to open the camera (21).

Meaning, if you have a camera app icon on your homepage, get rid of it. It's redundant when you can access the camera app by holding down the physical camera button.

@NicksG, That's nice btw if you use a bunch of apps.

Last edited:

EeJLP-

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Having the People app is also pretty redundant if you also have Phone app... because People is now on the bottom of the Phone app. So you can just open Phone and tap People on the bottom (1 minor extra step). Your call history is also down there, so no big need for that either.

Also setting your unlock screen to the weather (apps > Personaliize > Lock screen style > Weather > Apply) can allow you to drop the 4x2 (8 spot) weather widget down to the 4x1 if you wanted to. You could drop it down to the 4x1 anyway since they both have the same information and link to the same places, the 4x2 maybe just looks better being bigger.

Just a couple quick tips to potentially free up a couple more spots.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If you drag one icon onto another they combine forming a folder. You can then just tap this folder and have another 16 apps pop up right there.

So if you created 16 folders with 16 apps in each folder you could have 256 apps on one screen. You also see 4 small icons of the first 4 apps in the folder.

That one extra tap is not a huge deal. I can launch stuff just as fast hitting a folder and clicking on an app. I also like the organization aspect. I have a System, utilities, games folders etc..

I find this an elegant solution myself and it is built in.

Reactions: TonyLibations

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If you drag one icon onto another they combine forming a folder. You can then just tap this folder and have another 16 apps pop up right there.

So if you created 16 folders with 16 apps in each folder you could have 256 apps on one screen. You also see 4 small icons of the first 4 apps in the folder.

That one extra tap is not a huge deal. I can launch stuff just as fast hitting a folder and clicking on an app. I also like the organization aspect. I have a System, utilities, games folders etc..

I find this an elegant solution myself and it is built in.

I was trying to do that yesterday. Came to love that feature on my Transformer running ICS. I gave up because I didn't realize that you have to hold the icon on top of the other slightly longer then with my tablet.

Thanks!

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
what is that battery widget you have there?

I made the battery widget with https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....hubalek.android.makeyourclock&token=h2f0o8M_

Meaning, if you have a camera app icon on your homepage, get rid of it. It's redundant when you can access the camera app by holding down the physical camera button.

@NicksG, That's nice btw if you use a bunch of apps.

The reason I keep the camera button on the dock is so I can launch it from the lock screen.

I've yet to figure out which apps I want on the dock. I've already switched out the people shortcut for Catch Notes. Just have to get used to going to the phone to get to people.