OTA Gingerbread!

rastasquid

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
So about 2 weeks ago I updated to the previous OTA (4.06.605.2 build) of Gingerbread using the method described in this thread. I also used this same method to flash the Froyo update last year before I got the OTA. Now....for whatever reason...I cannot get this to work! I have reformatted my SD card, and acutally zeroed it out twice, and tried the update with ONLY the update on my SD and it just won't work. I'm having the same issue as a bunch of others where it flashes quick text saying wrong image....and if I try the recovery method it says "cannot open file cache" or something like that and then just reboots. Anyone know what could be causing my problems?

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: tony bag o donuts
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Since you have already done a factory reset - try following the steps in this post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...id-incredible-gingerbread-ota.html#post980676

The instructions are for rooted users but it will work for unrooted users as well. This will put you back to factory Froyo, then try the OTA again.

Sever people have posted that this has worked for them when all other methods have failed.

Didn't need to...I wiped everything, cache, storage, etc. and just reinstalled the rom.
No issues.
I had problems shutting the phone off completely without pulling the battery to get in the bootloader, but so far so good.

rastasquid

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Stig, I tried that but it told me that the update was older version than the current and wouldn't let me load it. I can't try that program on my computer because I use a Mac with OSx.....:-( Maybe I'll just wait since it seems the current build has been halted and there may be a new build coming soon....

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Rasta,

I deleted everything...wiped storage, etc. cleared everything a few times, etc.

Heck I even pulled the battery each time before going into the bootloader.

Perhaps the update file wasn't completed downloading?

kowalski989

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I have gone through all the steps, and the hboot won't recognize the update.zip file. the drive is FAT32, and the update.zip file is placed at the root of my SD card. Anything else I can try?

Don't name it "update.zip" just rename it "update". The .zip will automatically add itself because it's a zip file type. If you name it "update.zip" you end up with "update.zip.zip". Just like when you save a word document you don't have to name it "homework.docx" because the .docx adds itself. Otherwise you would have "homework.docx.docx"

Last edited:

iowabowtech

May 6, 2010
Visit site
So about 2 weeks ago I updated to the previous OTA (4.06.605.2 build) of Gingerbread using the method described in this thread. I also used this same method to flash the Froyo update last year before I got the OTA. Now....for whatever reason...I cannot get this to work! I have reformatted my SD card, and acutally zeroed it out twice, and tried the update with ONLY the update on my SD and it just won't work. I'm having the same issue as a bunch of others where it flashes quick text saying wrong image....and if I try the recovery method it says "cannot open file cache" or something like that and then just reboots. Anyone know what could be causing my problems?

You're loading the 211679 file from the OP right? If you follow the write-up in the 3rd post literally, you will end up downloading the full upate file to go from Froyo to GB (605.3). Since you loaded the leaked 605.2, you need to apply the patch. Just making sure.

And like you noticed, you can't apply the 2.2 RUU once you've updated to any sort of GB. The "main version is older" error is a guarantee.

rastasquid

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
You're loading the 211679 file from the OP right? If you follow the write-up in the 3rd post literally, you will end up downloading the full upate file to go from Froyo to GB (605.3). Since you loaded the leaked 605.2, you need to apply the patch. Just making sure.

And like you noticed, you can't apply the 2.2 RUU once you've updated to any sort of GB. The "main version is older" error is a guarantee.

OK! that makes sense....so where do I find the "patch" is it available?

Elregio_10

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
hi guys!

I have installed the leaked RUU with the previous build (605.2). Been trying to update using the patch provided at the beginning of the thread. I have already done all the steps to get it running (Format FAT32, place file on root, rename file to update.zip since i have windows xp and it doesn't rename the file automatically) and I still are not able to do it! :mad: I get the same message rastasquid mentioned. Any ideas?? :(

iowabowtech

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Spotted a potential fix on XDA. I haven't tested this myself but it appears to have worked for a few people now:

Place the original leak (605.2) back on the card named PB31IMG.zip. Now also place the patch on the card named update.zip so you're dealing with both files. Power down, go to hboot and let the update occur which I believe to be a reload of the 605.2. When it finishes, insead of rebooting, go back to hboot and it'll pick up the patch and load it.

Credit to user greatbruce if it works.

Elregio_10

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Spotted a potential fix on XDA. I haven't tested this myself but it appears to have worked for a few people now:

Place the original leak (605.2) back on the card named PB31IMG.zip. Now also place the patch on the card named update.zip so you're dealing with both files. Power down, go to hboot and let the update occur which I believe to be a reload of the 605.2. When it finishes, insead of rebooting, go back to hboot and it'll pick up the patch and load it.

Mr. Iowa, Thank you for the instructions! :)

I'm happy to report that this method actually works! Upgraded to 605.3! wohoo!! :D

Here is the link in case you guys need the instructions:

Instructions to patch from GB leak(.2) to (.3) - xda-developers

prw166

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Worked for me.

Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

skunis1

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Can somebody explain how to get to HBOOT without rebooting after 605.2 is manually updated to the phone?

Also, will this update method wipe my phone?

Last edited:

AndroidDean

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My Dinc is looking for a pb31img.zip file. I renamed to update.zip and I when i try to run that through recovery manually, it fails. Any ideas? I know it is me but I don't know what it is!

Lemonheater

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting for my update, and so is a friend of mine. She got her Droid Incredible about a week when it first came out, I got mine late (think...a year later...yeah I'm a late adopter). No idea how it's rolling out but its making me scratch my head.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Can somebody explain how to get to HBOOT without rebooting after 605.2 is manually updated to the phone?

Also, will this update method wipe my phone?

Only way to get into HBOOT is to power off and power on with the Vol down/Power.

The update will not erase your data.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My Dinc is looking for a pb31img.zip file. I renamed to update.zip and I when i try to run that through recovery manually, it fails. Any ideas? I know it is me but I don't know what it is!

Follow the detailed steps on the 3rd or 4th post of this thread - that should get you through it. Check all the steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowoverhoe