Picture Quality at Night

celticfdguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I got my Nexus 6P yesterday after using the Samsung Note 4 for the past year. I was playing around with the camera last night in my living room and I noticed that taking pictures with low light with the 6P has nothing on my old Note 4. The Note 4 took superb pictures with low lighting while the 6P does not. I took the same picture with both phones, emailed them to myself, and the quality on the 6P just isn't there. Is anyone else seeing this? I also notice that there is barely any settings for the Camera compared to my Note 4. Overall I love the 6P but the picture quality is rather upsetting. Is anyone else seeing this and is there a way to improve low lighting photos?

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
You can install one of many aftermarket camera apps. In low light the 6p is very good. Cameras process images differently though and we all have different preferences. I'd be curious to see the pictures.

celticfdguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Here is a picture from the Nexus 6P. As you can see it is very grainy.
z1hzm.jpg

Here is a picture from the Note 4

5b37ur.jpg

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
The Samsung is smoothing out detail way more. The camera isn't better it's the processing that's making the image appear better at small sizes. There is way more detail in the Nexus image because it's not as aggressive with noise reduction. The Samsung is also increasing the contrast. It's a matter of preference. Most photographers tend to hate aggressive noise reduction because they'd prefer to do it themselves so they have control over the effect. You could get the Nexus image to the same place as the Samsung with some editing. I personally prefer the better detail in the Nexus image because once detail is lost to noise reduction it can't be regained.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly