Pixel 6/6Pro sound quality and loudless of Speaker Phone

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm seriously looking at picking up either the Pixel 6 or 6 Pro to replace my dying LG G4. Three things I was never happy with on that phone were only mediocre sound quality of the on-board DAC for playing music through my stereo, not always loud enough volume on speaker phone in loud environments, and a weak Vibrate. How do the new Pixels stack up in these areas?
Thanks!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously looking at picking up either the Pixel 6 or 6 Pro to replace my dying LG G4. Three things I was never happy with on that phone were only mediocre sound quality of the on-board DAC for playing music through my stereo, not always loud enough volume on speaker phone in loud environments, and a weak Vibrate. How do the new Pixels stack up in these areas?
Thanks!
Man the audio on the pixel 6 pro has been exceptional for me. I am coming from a pixel 5 so you could imagine the difference, but when comparing it to what I remember about the pixel 4 xl it sounds as good or better. It's hard to gauge the difference because it's been a year+ since I last used the pixel 4xl.

I will say speakers sound loud, hell of clear and sound full.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the Pixel 6. Coming from the smaller s21, the speaker volume is ok. S21 would get loader than this phone.
I didn't get a chance to order my buds pro with the phone yet to test headphone volume.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The pixel 6 is not winning in categories in the sound department that's for sure lol. The worst speaker I've had in years. The good thing is though is that it doesn't effect Bluetooth sound. As long as you aren't expecting anything exceptional you'll be ok with the sound from the pixel 6.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The pixel 6 is not winning in categories in the sound department that's for sure lol. The worst speaker I've had in years. The good thing is though is that it doesn't effect Bluetooth sound. As long as you aren't expecting anything exceptional you'll be ok with the sound from the pixel 6.

Only thing I was hoping from the speakers is clear and loud enough for speakerphone phone calls, ocassionally for music, but I have a Bluetooth boombox for that. I do like to play music from my old school Pioneer stereo though, so was hoping to be able to get some good sounding music via the USBC/Headphone dongle

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Coming from an S21+ and the sound on the Pixel Pro is horrible in comparison. The S21 sounded clear and bright where as the Pixel sounds hollow like it's in a tunnel when I listen to music.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Coming from an S21+ and the sound on the Pixel Pro is horrible in comparison. The S21 sounded clear and bright where as the Pixel sounds hollow like it's in a tunnel when I listen to music.
Through the onboard speakers, or through headphones/external stereo?

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Me either so also not a huge deal, but they shouldn't sound this bad.

Just as long as the internal DACs aren't bad. My old LG sounded pretty flat played through my 1970s era Pioneer stereo, and was hoping for something a little better.

GMGCPA

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Download Wavelet from the playstore...select Legacy mode in its setting and customize its EQ settings by dragging the sliders to your liking and you are in for a WOW as it improves the speakers sound dramatically on any phone!...my Z Flip 3 and S21U now sounds like boomboxes!...enjoy!

elegant_pigeon

Dec 22, 2021
Visit site
Recording volume/ audio quality in Pixel 6 very bad/low/sucks (WhatsApp especially)

Thanks!

Got a Pixel 6, and started to have some issues, having people telling me that the volume of WhatsApp voice messages was very low and kinda muddy. As recommended by support I reset my phone and uninstall and re-install all apps. I ran several test on Telegram, Whatsapp, FB messenger and Instagram. In the recordings: The worst is WhatsApp (I have to increase the volume to 100% to hear anything). Instagram is acceptable, the best one is FB Messenger. I tested with the same volume, distance, message).This helped me realize that there is a volume gap between the lower mic and the upper one. So the upper one is bit better, a bit louder (as in talking next to the selfie camera ) so I have to talk to this mic so people can hear me (it is weird I'm telling you). I tested using a Bluetooth headset and the issue is the same, for some reason the volume and quality sucks. Surprisingly using the Recorded app the audio quality is just fine, so this seems to be an issue of compatibility of the Pixel 6 with 3party apps that use the microphone. I had a OnePlus and never have this issue. Great recording/audio quality. I am seriously regretting the switch.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Recording volume/ audio quality in Pixel 6 very bad/low/sucks (WhatsApp especially)

Got a Pixel 6, and started to have some issues, having people telling me that the volume of WhatsApp voice messages was very low and kinda muddy. As recommended by support I reset my phone and uninstall and re-install all apps. I ran several test on Telegram, Whatsapp, FB messenger and Instagram. In the recordings: The worst is WhatsApp (I have to increase the volume to 100% to hear anything). Instagram is acceptable, the best one is FB Messenger. I tested with the same volume, distance, message).This helped me realize that there is a volume gap between the lower mic and the upper one. So the upper one is bit better, a bit louder (as in talking next to the selfie camera ) so I have to talk to this mic so people can hear me (it is weird I'm telling you). I tested using a Bluetooth headset and the issue is the same, for some reason the volume and quality sucks. Surprisingly using the Recorded app the audio quality is just fine, so this seems to be an issue of compatibility of the Pixel 6 with 3party apps that use the microphone. I had a OnePlus and never have this issue. Great recording/audio quality. I am seriously regretting the switch.

Guess we'll have to add this to the growing list of things we hope Team G can fix with a software Update.

NeoTreo

May 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm using the P6 primarily as a phone and calls are loud and clear.
The last 7-years with Samsung devices required an equalizer or volume boosting app to hear the phone calls.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

Don't listen to the naysayers on this one. Set your sound to adaptive and then go into the advanced sound and adjust your balance to be centered. If you are listening with your phone in landscape mode, adjust the balance until the sound comes directly from the center of the device. You may need to adjust 2 or 3 steps towards the earpiece speaker. Now listen! Yes, the s21 ultra gets a little louder but does not have more fidelity. The only phone speakers that are as good as the GP6P are the current iPhones.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Recording volume/ audio quality in Pixel 6 very bad/low/sucks (WhatsApp especially)

I could hardly hear the person on the other end when I tried a Whatsapp video call. No problems on Duo though.