Please Help, New to Tablets Buy this or wait

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I know the Samsung Note 10.1 2014 has been out awhile and I have wanted to purchase it for awhile and this would be my first tablet. I love my Note 2, now 4 and really want the tablet for same use of S-Pen

I found this price on Amazon today $453.45 and free shipping which I think is a pretty good price (over a hundred dollars off for the 32GB ).....it says it has Jelly bean on it. My questions are:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4500965

Shouldn't it have Kitkat on it?
Do you all feel it's still worth buying (2 year old version now for this price?) why hasn't a new version come out?

Thank you in advance for all comments and help!

Attachments

• Note 10.1 6-17-15 20150617_151321-1.jpg
    Note 10.1 6-17-15 20150617_151321-1.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 45

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
My personal opinion, buy it. I bought it the day it launched and have loved it better than any electronic device I've ever had. I don't ever use a laptop anymore. The new one that comes out is 12" , and to be that's too big. As for the OS, you can probably do an ota update. It's a great and versatile device. I use it 16 hours a day aand love it!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My personal opinion, buy it. I bought it the day it launched and have loved it better than any electronic device I've ever had. I don't ever use a laptop anymore. The new one that comes out is 12" , and to be that's too big. As for the OS, you can probably do an ota update. It's a great and versatile device. I use it 16 hours a day aand love it!
Thank you so much for your quick response, I appreciate that! Yes, I agree that the 12.2 is just to big and a lot more expensive. I don't want it to replace a laptop (when I am more mobile) rather a companion device.

I would think it should have the kitkat update on it as it came out like April of 2014. Just trying to figure out how it would get the update as I don't like to update or add apps outside of Google Play store.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
It had been updated to KitKat. If KitKat is not on the tablet when you first get it, you will be prompted to update it. Samsung may or may not release a 2015 edition of this tablet. They released this one with the note 3 and they did not release a new one with the note 4, if they do release a new version it would probably be released with the note 5. I feel that's it's worth buying because it is very fast, it gets the job done, it is stable, there are a lot of custom ROMs for it and it can easily be rooted. Samsung may not have released a new version yet simply because of the fact that the tablet market in general is declining, and this tablet is still more than capable of competing with the other new tablets and what would Samsung upgrade?

It will also be updated to lollipop.

Last edited by a moderator:

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Moshe, Thank you so much. Great Information! I am definitely not one who roots, but this info makes me very happy.

Thank you to both of you (dianehelen, and Moshe Barash) for your responses that have just reconfirmed my decision of this being the tablet to purchase.......Now I just have to get my Hubby's ok to order it! Cross all your fingers and toes for me!!

It had been updated to KitKat. If KitKat is not on the tablet when you first get it, you will be prompted to update it. Samsung may or may not release a 2015 edition of this tablet. They released this one with the note 3 and they did not release a new one with the note 4, if they do release a new version it would probably be released with the note 5. I feel that's it's worth buying because it is very fast, it gets the job done, it is stable, there are a lot of custom ROMs for it and it can easily be rooted. Samsung may not have released a new version yet simply because of the fact that the tablet market in general is declining, and this tablet is still more than capable of competing with the other new tablets and what would Samsung upgrade?
Why do you say the tablet market is declining?

Last edited by a moderator:

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Why do you say the tablet market is declining?

I said that it's declining because every year fewer and fewer people are buying tablets and as a result all of the major tablet companies(including Apple) are not profiting as much from them as they used to. Some reasons for why people aren't buying as many tablets anymore might be because of the fact that phones are getting much bigger so some people don't feel a need to have both a 5 or 6 inch phone and a tablet when the phone can do most of the things that the tablet can do, also some people might own one tablet for a few years before even considering buying a new one. Basically the demand for tablets is rapidly decreasing. There is a really good article about this topic on Android authority in case you want to know more about why tablet sales are diminishing.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I said that it's declining because every year fewer and fewer people are buying tablets and as a result all of the major tablet companies(including Apple) are not profiting as much from them as they used to. Some reasons for why people aren't buying as many tablets anymore might be because of the fact that phones are getting much bigger so some people don't feel a need to have both a 5 or 6 inch phone and a tablet when the phone can do most of the things that the tablet can do, also some people might own one tablet for a few years before even considering buying a new one. Basically the demand for tablets is rapidly decreasing. There is a really good article about this topic on Android authority in case you want to know more about why tablet sales are diminishing.
Thank you. I was just curious as it seems like everyone and their brother has one or has been buying them....except for me LOL.

I do love the size of my Note 4, but there are things I would like to view with a bit bigger screen and have clients sign documents on it vs.dragging the laptop, so to me it might be the perfect in-between..... I used to think there really was no purpose for the tablets as it does not really replace all the capabilities of a laptop..... Thanks again for your help!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
One more question please......can you use either apps like foxfi or easy tether to go online off my note 4 to the tablet?

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
One more question please......can you use either apps like foxfi or easy tether to go online off my note 4 to the tablet?

Assuming you're referring to using the mobile data from your phone on your tablet, then most likely yes. My phone is the LG L90 (T-Mobile) and I have used the mobile data from it via its built in tethering app so I know that it works on the tablet's end. The note 4 is probably capable of tethering. The only other variable is your carrier so if your carrier supports it, it should work.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
YAY!!!!

Happy for you, you will LOVE IT!

And this forum is chock full of really smart techies to help with any questions and offer really good tips..

Enjoy!!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
YAY!!!!

Happy for you, you will LOVE IT!

And this forum is chock full of really smart techies to help with any questions and offer really good tips..

Enjoy!!
Thank you so much! I have wanted this one for a long time and I am really excited about getting it!

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Did ya get it, did ya get it? I'm excited for you. What are some of the things you want to do with it? I have found I use the S pen wayyy more than I ever imagined I would. I dont think I could ever use a tablet without it.

All the best to you, can't wait to see how much you love it :)

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I got it!! Sorry for delay.... So first thoughts:
1. Much heavier than I thought it would be
2. Gorgeous screen
3. It was at 4.4.2 and I did get the prompt to install an update and to my surprise it was still to 4.4.2? I really thought it was going to update to 4.4.4.
4. Slower to charge up, but maybe I'm just used to how fast my Note 4 charges on the fast charge.

I have always felt that the popular tablets don't replace a laptop and resisted, couldn't rationalize the use/cost even though I really wanted one! Finally decided to jump in. I love the Samsung Note series and felt if I was going to have a tablet I wanted the S pen features as I use it constantly on my Note 4. So I think I want to use it for a lot of functions I am already doing on my phone on a bigger screen..... Be able to have clients sign documents while out and about. View Videos, and more on the larger screen.... So just getting started on setting it up and sure more questions will pop up. It is absolutely beautiful and I think I got a great price! Any tips or tricks are totally welcome!

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Just a tip: Samsung makes really cheap charging and data cables so if your tablet takes a long time to charge it could be because of the cable, the solution is to use a different cable for charging, but make sure that you use the same a/c adapter.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for that charging tip. I will test it out. Never really had a problem with my Samsungs. My Note 2 charger still works great.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
4.4.4 was an update for phones. The note 10.1 2014 will most likely get 5.0.1
Thank you, just a little confusing. When I first got it 2 days ago it started up with 4.4.2. Then I was prompted to do an update and it's still 4.4.2. What was changed/added? Is this a Kitkat version?

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is KK. The update consisted mostly of security improvements. I also got multiple users with that update. (my note is the P605 Wifi and GSM version so multiple user may perhaps not be available on your model.)Screenshots_2015-06-22-09-46-24.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky