Power Down and Don't Charge Note 7 per The Consumer Product Safety Commission

Are you handing your phone in

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cerberus0820

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Best way to back up Note7 for the recall?

I don't have an android to switch back to, but I want to return my phone as I don't want to pay for it if I can't use it. I do have my last device, non-android, to use for the time being.

I want to backup the current apps / settings / home screen layout now, turn in my device, and when I am able to get the new note 7, restore everything back. From my understanding, the samsung smart switch won't work as I won't have the old device when I get the new one.

Any advise?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 7 and Note 4 as I please, thank you...

I use one of these sim card adapters so I can swap sims between any one of my other phones to my Note 4 or Note Edge. I got three of these from BestBuy. The adaptor came along with the T-Mobile sim card that I ordered about two years ago. As far as using the adaptor in a sim card tray such as what the Note 7 has, I would be very careful because they can get stuck. Since you would only be using it on the Note 4, you wouldn't have any problems. You can get adapters like this on Amazon or eBay with no sim card.

20160914_120509.jpg

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Note 5 and the Note 7 apparently have the same SIM - they just swapped mine back to the Note 5 for me with no problems! My Note 7 is sitting in the Box, waiting for the new ones to arrive... COME ON SAMSUNG!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Maybe go with a Note4 instead?

One thing that was fun when I had the note 7 while.on Vaca at the beach (before I returned it): I took it out intent the water with me and shot a few photos a short videos of the waves. I didn't dunk it just kept it above the water. Sure it got splashed a few times but no worries there

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Here is wha the above adaptor looks like inside the Note 4. You can see it just slides in and out. I don't have a sim card in the phone at the moment.

20160914_121035.jpg

doodleholic

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

Funnily, the only reason I moved on to a Note 7 in the first place was because my Note 4 had a short and fried itself back in June. (I got it second hand, so, I don't know how it was treated in its first year, and I have no idea if the short was due to the previous owner, something I may have done, or simply a fault with the device). I'm not sure which way I'll go if I can't get my Note 7 replaced with another.

I loved my Note 4, but I wouldn't want to go back to one now that I've had the Note 7. The Note 4 is a great phone though, and definitely a viable alternative.

DanRomania

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Note7 price drop?

I am currently waiting for two of these devices and I don't know if I should keep the preorder for both or just one and maybe look for an iPhone 7 Plus (for my father).
I do not intend to compare the prices of the iPhones with the prices of the Samsung so... Do you think that the price is going to drop more/faster than normal for the Note7? Is the resale price also going to drop? (taking into consideration all this "show" with the battery).
P.s.: I like a lot the Note7 but I do not want to pay the full price now and the very next month to drop 100-200€/£/$... I also don't believe they are going to start selling any refurbished Note7s at least untill the release of the new Note8.

Last edited:

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Samsung removing Note 7 displays from stores?

I do too. I hope they have the Edge in stock today. One thing for certain is I will NOT by the S8 Edge, Note, whatever it's rebranded until a couple months after release. I don't want to get hosed again like I did this time pre-ordering. The Edge should last me until next May. I know I won't get the regular S7 type phone again with tiny screen.
I doubt something like this will ever happen again, I wouldn't worry about pre ordering again. This is one of those lessons you only have to learn once lol. You being Samsung.

jordankreationz

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Returning and re-buying instead of replacement

I turned mine in since global recall and wanting no chances. Two have exploded in Phoenix that I am aware of. I know Samsung will bounce back from this. Am glad corporate Verizon offering double switch. Am using the edge7 right now. Twice today I went for the stylus. Lol. It's a habit. I hope Verizon knows soon but in the meantime I have a worry free device.
What double switch? I'm with Verizon and the store I got from is not being too helpful.

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: Best way to back up Note7 for the recall?

Smart switch will work just fine. You can back it up on your computer. Once you get the new Note 7, you can restore everything to it.

Kansatsusha

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Best way to back up Note7 for the recall?

A few stuff I dont trust on automatic... so I take picture and make notes and set them up again later... automatic sometime break or make it less functional than before

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Had to give up my Note 7.

I returned mine for the S7E and while it's a decent device, I miss the Note in it's black beauty!

TriBeard92

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

TMO is sending me a Note 5 to use temporarily. I'll miss USB C since all my chargers now are that, and I'm sure I'll notice a slight difference in the screen and stylus, but I'm not really dreading the change. I just wish it had an SD slot, but for a couple weeks to a month or so I can make do.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Had to? I thought about getting an iPhone but decided I can't really stomach iOS on a phone. It's fine on my iPad, but on a phone, it's just annoying in so many ways.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I work for a big company in a big building with lots of people. A guy at work as a joke told our director of security I have one (as do others here besides me). Security came up and "confiscated" my phone. After about 30 minutes I went down to the director's office and he had placed it in a secure fire safe. I got it back, but he came back up with a fire extinguisher and said to worry first about company property and then me.

That's cold.

Chuck Young

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site

Here is a picture of my Note 4 with the modified AT&T micro SIM, modified to hold the nano Sim from the Note 7. About 20 or 30 minutes with a sharp razor knife. AT&T said the old SIM from the Note 4 was not ever usable anyhow. Note 7 is a much better phone all around but the Note 4 is just fine and I use the S-Pen way to much to want a silly S7. I just lined up the contacts set the nano SIM on top the micro Sim and drew around it with a Sharpie. Stay between the lines and out of the fingers with the razor knife.

IMG_0859[1].jpg

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I nearly told them where to go, but replacement work isn't quite as prevalent as it used to be. I'm a contractor too, so it's very easy to let us go compared to FT people. And besides, the pay is quite good so it's hard to complain there. It wouldn't have been that long ago that I would have let them fire me over it, but maybe I'm getting wiser as I get older? (I'm 48) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174