Pre to BB Bold to Nexus, my exprience

ash1348

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I got NS after using BB Bold for a year, and using Pre for a year prior to that, being a loyal Palm smart phone user since 2005. My first two weeks with the phone were challenging, frustrating and full of surprises. However, after three weeks trial and errors, experiencing some of the problems that everyone here complain about, reading many Nexus S forums and posts, and setting up many functions and apps on my phone, I finally feel great about my phone and my decision to get this phone. Being new to the platform, setting up this phone was cumbersome and complicated when compared to other phones and platforms, in my opinion, due to all the extra features that the phone offers. I am going to breakdown my challenges and give my mini review below for anyone who might experience the same problems and dilemmas dealing with Nexus S.

Form factor: I wasn?t too crazy about the form factor first, especially since this was my first phone with no keyboard. Coming from BB bold, materials looked too cheap, however, it only took few days to get over this issue and actually start appreciating the design and use of materials by Samsung in order to make the phone so light and thin, and above all give it the concave design. The size is a perfect size for a smart phone (no wonder it?s dimensions are so close to iphone) and it fits and feels great.

No keyboard: I always hated the idea of giving up the keyboard, and I don?t like sliders because of their size and thickness. First week I was so frustrated typing on the screen to the point that I was thinking about going back to BB, until I started using the speech to text and voice command features on the phone. English is my second language and I have an accent, and until now I never had a positive experience with voice command (trust me, I tried so many times). I don?t know if it is Andriod, or the phone, or combination of both, but the damn thing gets my commands 90% of the times right! Last few days I almost have not typed at all, I am texting, searching, and almost doing everything using speech to text function. This is truly the future of mobile computing and keyboards and history.

Phone, call quality: Call quality is great. As a phone, this is the best smart phone that I have owned or tested.

Battery life: First two weeks it was all downhill. By the end of my second week I was only getting 6 to 8 hours before I had to charge the phone. It was never good to begin with. I did everything that you can imagine, tried every tip that I found online. Finally came across a post which suggested to hard reset the phone, let it completely run out of battery after reset, and then charge it to the max. According to the post the phone get can get some sort of a software bug when we don?t charge them fully followed by the discharge first time out of the box. I don?t know if this is true or not, but it worked perfectly for my phone. Before I load up my phone with all the apps, widges and craps again, I was getting two full days of battery life with modest use!!! Now I am getting full day of use with tons of apps, email clients, widgets, GV and extra. If you have a problem with your battery life, just hard reset your phone and try again.

Wifi and radio: absolutely no issues here. It is as good as my BB and better than Pre. 4g works fine. I get around 3.2 MB download speed most places that I go here in Southern California.

Hotmail: I tried few email clients, including k9. I always had some issues. I finally tried gmails IMAP to get my hotmail emails, and it works great. I highly recommend to anyone who wants a perfect integration of hotmail to android phone to consider it. You can find more info by following this link: How to Forward Hotmail to Gmail | eHow.com

Corporate email: I have to use Good for Enterprises. I am not a huge fan, it keeps my outlook contacts separated from my personal, also no integration with other programs, calendars or email clients. Again, it took me a while to get used to it, and this is a trade off that I had to make in order to ditch my BB. Besides integration issue, it works flawlessly. Hopefully they will improve the app going forward.

Contacts: Had some issues with my contacts due to Good app. I moved all my contacts to gmail, and once again, I am very happy with my decision. It is much easier to maintain my contacts, and it is easily accessible from everywhere. I am also very impressed with how well it is integrated into google voice and other applications.

Google Voice: This is probably one of the best, if not the best, features of the phone. I tried GV back in 2009 on my pre, I didn?t like it back then. Now, with Nexus, I can?t say how happy I am with this service. Everything works as advertised, almost no issues what so ever. The only issue that I had was receiving a text message after one hour delay. Hopefully that was a onetime issue. If you are not using it, you don?t know what you are missing, just give it a try and I promise, you won?t look back.

Screen: Amazing screen, no complain, I don?t have any problems viewing in bright sun. The only issue is when looking from the sides you see a reflection, which is not a big deal. I use auto adjust and it works great. I had issues with the touch screen?s responsiveness. The problem went away after I did the factory reset.

Camera: Again it works great for me. I am coming from BB and Pre, so compare to those two phones, camera is a huge upgrade. I have a small kid and like to have a good camera on my phone. I am happy with the current camera, of course, would be nicer if we get HD, but then again, it is not a deal breaker for me.

My only negative comment about this phone is the lack of LED notification light. I really wish they include it for next versions of the phone. "noled" and other apps do not work with Goods for Enterprises. Also it is not that visible when I get a missed call or VM. It helps, but it is not a replacement for LED. The other non-positive experience that I had so far is using the front camera. Skype doesn?t support it yet, and google talk is not that good.

Overall, I am extremely happy with my phone and highly recommend it to anyone. No phone is a perfect phone, and there are always some tradeoffs. To me, the balance of the features, physical design and form factor, and specifications, is almost perfect and I wish Samsung keeps the design and the same approach for the future Nexus phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2CupsWithString

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Great read, I'm glad you're getting settled in!

Every phone will have it's issues to be sure, it's all a matter of working it out and it sounds like you're in a happy Nexus type of place.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Battery life: First two weeks it was all downhill. By the end of my second week I was only getting 6 to 8 hours before I had to charge the phone. It was never good to begin with. I did everything that you can imagine, tried every tip that I found online. Finally came across a post which suggested to hard reset the phone, let it completely run out of battery after reset, and then charge it to the max. According to the post the phone get can get some sort of a software bug when we don?t charge them fully followed by the discharge first time out of the box. I don?t know if this is true or not, but it worked perfectly for my phone. Before I load up my phone with all the apps, widges and craps again, I was getting two full days of battery life with modest use!!! Now I am getting full day of use with tons of apps, email clients, widgets, GV and extra. If you have a problem with your battery life, just hard reset your phone and try again.

I wonder about this. Is the hard reset really necessary? What if I got a new Samsung standard battery and let it run out, then charged it to full? What does the hard reset do, really?

As you can tell, I'd like to avoid the hard reset if possible...but I'd also like to get a little better battery life. Right now I'm unplugging at 6am and it gets down in the 20% range by about 3 or 4 pm. Is that about average? I have never let it run down completely.

jonesey#AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I?ve had the Nexus for about 3 weeks now, and I?m trying to make a successful switch like you... But I?m still not sure.

The voice commands are good, but only if you want to type a phrase or single sentence. I try speaking the punctuation, but it rarely works.

I can?t get past not being able to search email. K-9 is ok, but not great.

I?ll try the hard reset idea, since my battery life is very, very poor. Even compared to the Pre.

I?m enjoying cool apps not available to webOS, and I actually sort of like the size of it, after several days of use.

Of course, after watching the iOS5 conference today... Maybe best part of the Nexus will be being first in line for updates. It?ll soon be catch-up time again.

ash1348

May 9, 2011
Visit site
As Fred says in his post, it’s all a matter of working all the issues out. (thanks Fred)
I also tried to not go through the hard reset, mainly because of all the time that I spent to customize the phone. First, the whole process is much easier than you guys think, and you can take some steps to prevent any problems. I went to the android market’s html version and copy pasted all my applications into a word doc (names and links), in case something goes wrong and I don’t get everything restored. It only took me five minutes, and guess what, my apps didn’t get restored. So I went through my word doc and this time only installed the apps that I really wanted, five or ten at a time and monitored my battery usage to single out the ones that really drain the battery. Also did a better job in customizing my phone, only used widgets that I really use on daily basis.

You can read the post that convinced me to go through the reset here: Nexus S battery life is extremely poor - Google Mobile Help

As you see, it doesn’t work for everyone. According to T. Chan, it has got to do with battery stats file on the phone, so changing the battery will not help. Here is what he says: “The reason I think that the hard reset works for some people is that it resets your battery stats file. Bascially what can happen is that your phone "thinks" it's getting a full charge, but in reality it's not. A full battery charge is 4.1 or 4.2 V, but your phone may have calibrated itself to think it's full at 3.9 V. Given that stock settings have your phone deactivate at 3.5 V, that's not a lot of power. So ultimately, your phone might only be charging to 50% but thinks it's at 100%.”

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Nice review. I can address your issue with Good app. Reason why its not integrated into google experience is because its a corporate app and the way its designed to work. Basically what it does is it creates a sandbox environment where your corporate data doesn't cross into personal area of the phone so there is no issue with compromised data. At the same time it also allows your IT admins to remotely wipe the work portion of the phone in case your device gets compromised.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
A
As you see, it doesn?t work for everyone. According to T. Chan, it has got to do with battery stats file on the phone, so changing the battery will not help. Here is what he says: ?The reason I think that the hard reset works for some people is that it resets your battery stats file. Bascially what can happen is that your phone "thinks" it's getting a full charge, but in reality it's not. A full battery charge is 4.1 or 4.2 V, but your phone may have calibrated itself to think it's full at 3.9 V. Given that stock settings have your phone deactivate at 3.5 V, that's not a lot of power. So ultimately, your phone might only be charging to 50% but thinks it's at 100%.?

Question on that factory reset thing: I've done it once before, but unchecked the "Erase USB storage" option. How does this option affect the phone 'calibration' he describes? I'd prefer not to erase my USB storage unless it's necessary.

ash1348

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for Good's explanation.
On "Erase USB storage" comment, I also unchecked the box. I don't think that it effects the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieallthetime