Problems with YouTube

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else having issues within the last week with YouTube? Zoom to fill only works intermittently even though auto zoom is selected. Videos sometimes do not auto rotate to landscape mode even though auto rotate ie enabled. I've cleared data and cache for YouTube with no result. App is latest available version. Any ideas? I have an S23 Ultra, AT&T locked.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have had the auto rotate issue, but I thought it was down to me using a routine to turn it on and off and being on the beta... maybe not.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I haven't you tried to reset the app ?
Clear it's data and force stop it
Hi Mustang, yes, I've cleared data and cache plus force stopped. Version is 18.34.37. I just realized that my S21 Ultra and Pixel 6 Pro are now doing the same thing meaning you have to pinch to zoom like the old days. All 3 phones are set to auto zoom. I guess it must be a YouTube problem. I see no reset option in settings like there used to be. It's gone.

Reactions: mustang7757

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
S23U on T-Mobile and I have noticed that videos don't auto-rotate all the time, but as soon as I hit the Full Screen button, it works and has worked since then.

I have not had any of the other reported issues.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Mustang, yes, I've cleared data and cache plus force stopped. Version is 18.34.37. I just realized that my S21 Ultra and Pixel 6 Pro are now doing the same thing meaning you have to pinch to zoom like the old days. All 3 phones are set to auto zoom. I guess it must be a YouTube problem. I see no reset option in settings like there used to be. It's gone.
Try uninstall the update to YouTube see what happens

Reactions: htcrazy

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, what do you know. Uninstalling the last update fixed it. Thanks. I'll use one of my test phones to determine when they fix the issue. I'm surprised they haven't gotten lots of complaints.
Yeah so we know it's a current update causing this

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That's why I stopped updating the YouTube app a while back... all the updates were doing was finding more ways to stuff ads in my face, the app works fine, and I wanted to keep it that way lol.

But I mostly use Brave Browser for YouTube anymore because it's ad free 👍 And I haven't updated that in a while either because they were talking about allowing ads in YouTube. In fact recently someone here mentioned they were seeing ads in YouTube on Brave 😕

I just use Brave for browsing... I use Chrome for business and keep it updated regularly 😉

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's why I stopped updating the YouTube app a while back... all the updates were doing was finding more ways to stuff ads in my face, the app works fine, and I wanted to keep it that way lol.

But I mostly use Brave Browser for YouTube anymore because it's ad free And I haven't updated that in a while either because they were talking about allowing ads in YouTube. In fact recently someone here mentioned they were seeing ads in YouTube on Brave

I just use Brave for browsing... I use Chrome for business and keep it updated regularly
it's pretty difficult to block an add when it's coming from the same DNS as the actual content. Because Google runs youtube and is also one of the biggest ad platforms on the planet, I'm surprised they are as forgiving as they are with ad blocking.

Reactions: J Dubbs

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
it's pretty difficult to block an add when it's coming from the same DNS as the actual content. Because Google runs youtube and is also one of the biggest ad platforms on the planet, I'm surprised they are as forgiving as they are with ad blocking.
They are cracking down on ad blocking with YouTube... I saw an article about that, that's the reason I stopped updating Brave. Since Brave is based on Chromium, and updates to the latest version when Chrome does, I figured it was only a matter of time 😱

As big as YouTube is, and with all the ads it has, supposedly it's not making the money it should be according to the financial articles I've read. I'm sure that's why the ad blocking crackdown.

And they wonder why, when they overload people with ads throughout the videos, and people stop watching or block them, that they start losing money lol.

I guess they'd rather push too far and make less money than be reasonable and make more. Or maybe that's just called greed 😉

But then again, what does reasonable really even mean any more ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I think YouTube Premium is well worth the cost, both for the elimination of ads and the access to YouTube Music Premium. I far prefer YT Music over Spotify, because I find the latter is too repetitive in its mixes. And I've been ramping up my YouTube video watching over the past few years (Dankpods, SMOOREZ, Let's Game It Out, travelgeek, Walk With Me Tim are a few in my heavy rotation), so it's great not to have to deal with any ads at all.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I think YouTube Premium is well worth the cost, both for the elimination of ads and the access to YouTube Music Premium. I far prefer YT Music over Spotify, because I find the latter is too repetitive in its mixes. And I've been ramping up my YouTube video watching over the past few years (Dankpods, SMOOREZ, Let's Game It Out, travelgeek, Walk With Me Tim are a few in my heavy rotation), so it's great not to have to deal with any ads at all.
I dunno how anyone watches YouTube without Premium these days.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I dunno how anyone watches YouTube without Premium these days.
The only time I'm willing to sit through ads is when I'm playing Asphalt 9, to get some rewards. And I typically make sure I have something else to do (like read a Kindle book or watch a YouTube video on another device) while that ad is running. Some ads can be super-annoying, and the nature of these ad platforms is that you end up seeing the same dang ads over and over and over and over. It's also a bit appalling how many ads I see for terrible games that are essentially based on the player having to figure out which of two numbers is larger.:cautious:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It may be if you actually want YouTube music. It's £13 (About $ 16) and I would say it justifies about £7.

We can't even buy an annual plan over here to save a few quid that way

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may be if you actually want YouTube music. It's £13 (About $ 16) and I would say it justifies about £7.

We can't even buy an annual plan over here to save a few quid that way
Yeah, but consider what other streaming services do -- Hulu charges $8/mo for their service with ads. You could argue that Hulu has TV series and movies, but I've become increasingly impressed with the quality and professionalism of various YouTubers' content that rivals that programming.

But I agree that it would be nice for there to be more tiers for YouTube subscription plans, specifically a cheaper one that doesn't include YT Music

Reactions: J Dubbs and Bla1ze

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
You could argue that Hulu has TV series and movies, but I've become increasingly impressed with the quality and professionalism of various YouTubers' content that rivals that programming.
This is where I'm at. I often find myself watching longer length YouTube videos instead of some TV shows or movies. The quality is there and topics are of high interest to me so the cost/value ratio is also high for me personally. But I get it also, the pricing is a bit out of whack depending on region and not everyone has the same viewing habits for sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos