Recommendation(s) for music/media player(s)

DoctorWizard

Sep 7, 2019
Visit site
I have an in-dash Android based car stereo and I have tried at least 20+ media players and can't find one I like! :- None of them have a UI which I feel, in my opinion, is well suited for this (a lot of that has to do with my own personal idiosyncrasies). Thus, I am looking for either an open source player that I can grab the code from github or elsewhere and customize the UI to my liking, and/or a player with a very customizable skin system- one where I can do more than change colors. I want to be able to rearrange and resize controls, possibly leave some controls off, focus just on playlists and not individual songs...

Some of my gripes include the album art being overly dominating, controls and text that are too small to be properly seen or used while driving, doesn't work well with landscape mode, poor playlist support...

I have not developed any Android projects yet but have been looking for a good project to dive into. I've been a software developer/engineer for 40+ years including a lot of MS Windows, Embedded Systems/Microcontrollers, and a bit of Linux. My C/C++ skills are... meh.. Java... meh. Not great at those 2 languages but can stumble thru them and generally figure things out.

Or if someone can recommend one [non-open] that is truly customizable, I would gladly pay for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred