[RECOVERY] Cannibal Open Touch v1.2 (latest update: 06/24/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: [RECOVERY] Cannibal Open Touch v1.1 (HUGE update!)

I would assume if you asked in the rootzwiki forum, the Goo.Im devs might try to help with that. I mean, I'd assume they'd love more exposure on devices.

That's probably true. Good call.

Once I finish working on the most malfunctioning MacBook I've ever seen, I'll get right on it.

(No seriously this thing is super screwy. DVD drive is busted, the Airport Extreme card decides for itself when and if it wants to work, and system updates keep hanging for no reason on a CLEAN install.)

Reactions: ShadowEO

Sdude1200

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
That's probably true. Good call.

Once I finish working on the most malfunctioning MacBook I've ever seen, I'll get right on it.

(No seriously this thing is super screwy. DVD drive is busted, the Airport Extreme card decides for itself when and if it wants to work, and system updates keep hanging for no reason on a CLEAN install.)

Its called Crapple for a reason! Haha

On an on-topic note. Absolutely love the theme capabilities drew. You never cease to amaze all of us

Sent from my Frozen Optimus S

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Looks great. Big thanks to Drew, Team Hydro, et al. Three questions:

1) Does this resolve the Xionia (Edify?) issue that required me to sometimes flash the (Zefie?) utility, "Debug-FormatALL.zip (to get a clean wipe) before flashing a ROM or restoring a Nandroid backup?

2) Which options should I run to get a good, clean wipe before flashing a ROM or doing a Nandroid backup? Would I run "wipe data/factory reset" AND "wipe cache partition", AND "wipe system, data, cache"? Or is "wipe system, data, cache" essentially a combination of the the other two?

3) Is there any instruction manual (or glossary) for the commands available? I would love to see an explanation of each option-- even a brief, 1-2 sentence explanation. E.g. "Format boot: This option does yada yada. You might want to use it when you blah blah or if you have a problem with your thingamajig, but be careful because it can damage your cabobulator."

Last edited:

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Looks great. Big thanks to Drew, Team Hydro, et al. Three questions:

1) Does this resolve the Xionia (Edify?) issue that required me to sometimes flash the (Zefie?) utility, "Debug-FormatALL.zip (to get a clean wipe) before flashing a ROM or restoring a Nandroid backup?

2) Which options should I run to get a good, clean wipe before flashing a ROM or doing a Nandroid backup? Would I run "wipe data/factory reset" AND "wipe cache partition", AND "wipe system, data, cache"? Or is "wipe system, data, cache" essentially a combination of the the other two?

3) Is there any instruction manual (or glossary) for the commands available? I would love to see even an explanation of each option-- even a brief, 1-2 sentence explanation. E.g. "Format boot: This option does yada yada. You might want to use it when you blah blah or if you have a problem with your thingamajig, but be careful because it can damage you cabobulator."

1) I'm not positive but I don't think this should be an issue.
2) If you are going to a new rom rather than updating your current rom the 'wipe system, data, cache' does exactly what it says; wipes the system, data and cache partitions and is therefore best suited for that. If you are updating obviously you don't want to wipe your data so you could simply wipe the caches (at least most roms should format system), you can also format system from within the mounts menu.
3) I don't think there is but that may not be a bad idea at some point. Format boot is generally a bad idea (goes in line with erase_image) and is really not neccessary in most cases because the boot partition is going to be rewritten (best to avoid unless otherwise recommended)

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Feature request (if not already included).

With Xionia, I sometimes ran a Nandroid backup with no errors. But then after doing a wipe and Nandroid restore the phone would either hang at the LG boot screen, or the restoration would be very incomplete, like apps and/or shortcuts missing. I noticed that the failing Nandroid backup folders were typically smaller than the working Nandroid backup folders, so I guess that insufficient space on my (lowly 2GB) SD card caused the Nandroid backup process to fail, but Xionia always said that the backup was successful.

Does COT report a backup failure if there's insufficient space or a failure for any other reason? If not, I'd love to see that. I have little confidence in my Nandroid backups which makes me reluctant to do much ROM swapping/testing.

Last edited:

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Feature request (if not already included).

With Xionia, I sometimes ran a Nandroi backup with no errors. But then after doing a wipe and Nandroid restore the phone would either hang at the LG boot screen, or the restoration would be very incomplete, like apps and/or shortcuts missing. I noticed that the failing Nandroid backup folders were typically smaller the working Nandroid backup folders, so I guess that insufficient space on my (lowly 2GB) SD card caused the Nandroid backup process to fail, but Xionia always said that the backup was successful.

Does COT report a backup failure if there's insufficient space or a failure for any other reason? If not, I'd love to see that. I have little confidence in my Nandroid backups.

Haven't tested it on the S (I rarely run out of sdcard space) but the kindle version which is based off of the same version of CWM does. However with this version using an older version of Nandroid I'm not certain.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

The 'wipe system, data, cache' option in COT builds the Debug-Format script in. So, yes. :)

Run 'wipe data/factory reset' and 'wipe system, data, cache', then go to the Advanced menu and format /dalvik-cache.

3) Is there any instruction manual (or glossary) for the commands available? I would love to see an explanation of each option-- even a brief, 1-2 sentence explanation. E.g. "Format boot: This option does yada yada. You might want to use it when you blah blah or if you have a problem with your thingamajig, but be careful because it can damage you cabobulator."
I would love to see some type of documentation as well. There may already be something out there for CWM in general terms; perhaps that could be adapted to include COT's added features?

Reactions: RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Run 'wipe data/factory reset' and 'wipe system, data, cache', then go to the Advanced menu and format /dalvik-cache.
If that's so, then I have another feature request... A menu option that does those 3 things in one step.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

I can't install COT by flashing it through Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6 on my ZVD/Reborn-ROM Optimus S. I just downloaded the COT zip (flash_image.zip) and place it on the top level of my SD card. Then took the following Xionia options.
1) install zip from sdcard
2) toggle signature verification (disabled).
3) choose zip from sdcard. (I chose flash_image.zip and confirmed.). It says "installing" but the status flies by too quickly to read, and then it puts me back at the Xionia main menu.
4) reboot system

The system reboots into Reborn ROM, but if I reboot into recovery (either manually or through Reborn's power-down menu) it still shows Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6. I've tried this 3 times with the same result. From Xionia, I've also tried flashing and then "advanced/reboot into recovery" but I end up at the same Xonia recovery.

Any thoughts? I'd really prefer not to go the ADB route if possible. (Don't shoot me, but I've never bothered to download those tools.)

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

I can't install COT by flashing it through Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6 on my ZVD/Reborn-ROM Optimus S. I just downloaded the COT zip (flash_image.zip) and place it on the top level of my SD card. Then took the following Xionia options.
1) install zip from sdcard
2) toggle signature verification (disabled).
3) choose zip from sdcard. (I chose flash_image.zip and confirmed.). It says "installing" but the status flies by too quickly to read, and then it puts me back at the Xionia main menu.
4) reboot system

The system reboots into Reborn ROM, but if I reboot into recovery (either manually or through Reborn's power-down menu) it still shows Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6. I've tried this 3 times with the same result.

Any thoughts? I'd really prefer not to go the ADB route if possible. (Don't shoot me, but I've never bothered to download those tools.)

You sure you downloaded the correct file? The COT ZIP installer is named COT-v1.1-ls670-unsigned.zip, flash_image.zip is simply the flash_image binary.

If that's so, then I have another feature request... A menu option that does those 3 things in one step.

The "wipe system, data, cache" menu item does that.

A factory reset is wiping data and cache.
Dalvik-cache is usually (unless you use dalvik2dev or dalvik2ext or similar mods) in the data or cache partitions.

bweb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

minor request, when you update the thread, can you put a date on it? i haven't gotten around to using COT, but it sounds great. It just makes the forums easier to use for people. Thanks!

[RECOVERY] Cannibal Open Touch v1.1 (HUGE update!) <date>

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

You sure you downloaded the correct file? The COT ZIP installer is named COT-v1.1-ls670-unsigned.zip, flash_image.zip is simply the flash_image binary.
Doh! That was it! Success! Thanks! I hope I didn't hurt anything by flashing "flash_image.zip", did I? Everything seems OK.

Drew, to prevent idiots like me from screwing up and bothering you again, may I suggest that you edit your OP to clarify? Like...

Under the instructions for "Already have a custom recovery?" perhaps you could change step 1 from ""Download the ZIP installer" to "Download the ZIP Installer' from the link below". And perhaps in the "Download Cannibal Open Touch v1.1" section, you could separate the links under two headings like:
"ADB-based installation, files:"

"Custom Recovery based installation zip:"

Thanks for all you do!

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay, a couple of thoughts. Why not either remove "apply update.zip" or move it to advanced (honestly, how often do you flash a sprint signed update from recovery). Then you could move "install zip from sdcard" into it's place. Then I was thinking, you could generate a menu just for the wipe options and include wipe dalvik cache to it as it something that is so often recommended to when installing updates.

And I still think either remove either some or all redundant "no"s when trying to apply and changes. I do understand it is a safety feature, but perhaps you could just have

No
No
Yes
No

It still offers a buffer for safety's sake but takes some of the button presses out of the process. As said before, the recovery on my ns4g only has

No
Yes
Back

And going thru the steps seems to much quicker and fluid to me. Let me know if I am off base, but these are options I would like to see.

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I use update.zip files often, since Titanium Backup allows you to create one of your backups. So I flash a new ROM, gapps, and my update.zip. Makes it much faster when playing with too many (sic) ROMs.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site

I use update.zip files often, since Titanium Backup allows you to create one of your backups. So I flash a new ROM, gapps, and my update.zip. Makes it much faster when playing with too many (sic) ROMs.

Well I stand corrected! I only used this feature the few times I ran the zvd update.zip to restore to stock. Not point out the obvious, but those same update.zip build from TB could be flashed from the "install zip from sdcard" too :p

But perhaps you could still move the "install zip from sdcard" to the top, then have "apply update.zip" as an option within the menu along with "choose zip from sdcard" and "toggle signature verification"

Just thinking of streamlining the recovery for simplicity (not that this would be simple to implement for drew LOL).

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Well I stand corrected! I only used this feature the few times I ran the zvd update.zip to restore to stock.

But perhaps you could still move the "install zip from sdcard" to the top, then have "apply update.zip" as an option within the menu along with "choose zip from sdcard" and "toggle signature verification"

Just thinking of streamlining the recovery for simplicity (not that this would be simple to implement for drew LOL).

Anywhere is fine, under advanced makes sense, just as long as it is there.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Oh man... Great tip! I didn't know that. I've been wasting time signing-in to new ROMs so that I could download TB from the market. Dummy me.

Do you need to flash Gapps or could they be restored from TB?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Oh man... Great tip! I didn't know that. I've been wasting time signing-in to new ROMs so that I could download TB from the market. Dummy me.

Yes and no. You can back up the actual apps but the google framework apks also are needed as well as a framework jar (for Maps) which TB won't back up AFAIK.

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I just do the update zip of apps, system can get dangerous. Flash ROM, GApps, and update.zip, reboot,sign in and apps are there, no need to go to the market/playpen and dl TiBu first.

Another trick, in recovery, flash ROM and gapps, then advanced restore of data and sd-ext (if you use it), that will give you all apps and settings, but again, on ROM updates, it can break things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell