ROM Manager & ClockworkMod Recovery

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Cognition runs pretty good, some errors with the ucji6 modem *especially with turning wifi on sometimes errors out*. Perception 10.1 is running really solid and even faster then Cognition!

The galaxy s phones are the easiest to flash compared to other phones.

HTH,
Charlie

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
No i have not. I have been happy without doing root on either one of my phones and still do not feel the need to do it to my Evo. But this captivate is a great phone, but too laggy and screwing up way too bad and cannot replace it as it is a work phone.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well if you are in a rush to do this lets do a quick crash course,,,,its recommended that you use Odin to go to stock, and master clean your phone which i always do for my girlfriends captivate but that being said, i dont do it for my fascinate. so i think you will get away with it, if not when you get home you will have to flash odin to get back to good,,,,DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

if you brick trying to rush through this im sorry.

ok assuming you are properly rooted and have installed rom manager, and have hit Flash clockworkrecovery (As a test i would use rom manager to boot into recovery, and then if your screen is blue , select reinstall packages and if it takes you into clockwork recovery you are good to go). then the next step would be downloading the rom and using your file manager to paste it into the root of your internal SD. once this is in place. reboot into recovery if you are at the blue screen again then again hit reinstall packages this will take you into clockwork, do a nandroid back up if you wish , its also recommended in case of an OH SH*# moment.... from here wipe data and cache, after this is completed go to install from sd card, when you get to the SD card find the Rom file, which probably be cog.zip or something to that affect, select it, and let it flash. then go back through the menu's and reboot the phone,.....it will now load up cognition and you will here voices installing the rom. just wait until it boots into the launcher

use titanium but word of caution since you are restoring from 2.1 into 2.2 you do not want to restore all the data, just the apps otherwise your phone will go crazy into a force loop from hell.

Again proceed at your own risk i personally would wait till i got home and made sure all my ducks were in a row especially on my first time

Last edited:
Reactions: Verdes8891

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well im at least trying to get my ducks in a row so i can get everything going when i get home tonight.

I have titanium backup, made a backup of all my applications and their data.

I downlowded ROM Manager Pro - made a backup of current rom

Doing to download Astro file manager (never had use for it before)

What else am i going to need on my phone to take care of this if i were to chose to do it now?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well im at least trying to get my ducks in a row so i can get everything going when i get home tonight.

I have titanium backup, made a backup of all my applications and their data.

I downlowded ROM Manager Pro - made a backup of current rom

Doing to download Astro file manager (never had use for it before)

What else am i going to need on my phone to take care of this if i were to chose to do it now?

i would copy all my SD cards info to a work file if you can, espcially the titanium back up, are you able to pull in the phone real fast and copy the SD card content?

i say this because i have corrupted a card once while flashing a rom, now im paranoid lol

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Im not worried exactly about the info on the phone. As long as i have my contacts(sim card) im good man. If i screw it up i screw it up. I have my old work phone to use in case of that.

From my Captivate :)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Then go for it and let me know how it turns out,,, and if it bricks you can a couple methods of reviving it usually very hard to permantly brick, but if you can't revive it you can send it to me and ill unbrick it, or you can send it to Connexion2005 but i think he will charge you .

Reactions: Verdes8891

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am almost ready to do it. The only issue i am having is I cannot get the file to save to my SD card. I am using Astro manager to do it but everytime i go to move it, it keeps on saying move failed.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am almost ready to do it. The only issue i am having is I cannot get the file to save to my SD card. I am using Astro manager to do it but everytime i go to move it, it keeps on saying move failed.

you may need root explorer (This is what i use)....
$3.95
Root Explorer (File Manager) - Android app on AppBrain

or try this
Free.
Super Manager - Android app on AppBrain

someone told me this was free and maybe it will work for you
free, i was told that you can set it up to download directly into the root folder but i havent tried it
WiFi File Explorer - Android app on AppBrain

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'll vouch for Root Explorer to move files when Astro misbehaves.

I'm more comfortable (familiar) with Astro, but bought RE after having move probs with Astro.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Never mind on that last post. I am an idiot lol. The file was already on the SD card.

I am flashing as we speak. I will let you know how everything goes.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
SUCESS!!!

IO am loaded with the Cognition. Wasnt as hard as i was thinking it was going to be. Now the next difficulty part is to restore my backup. AT&T Blocks the phone from installing the third party applications. I am about to try the Airplane mode + Wifi to override that. I will see if it works.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
SUCESS!!!

IO am loaded with the Cognition. Wasnt as hard as i was thinking it was going to be. Now the next difficulty part is to restore my backup. AT&T Blocks the phone from installing the third party applications. I am about to try the Airplane mode + Wifi to override that. I will see if it works.

Only one problem with that,if you are using titanium, you need to be rooted, do you have z4root on your SD card or do you need a link?

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I was rooted. Now i am seeing that when I go to titanium backup it says I am not rooted. Does flashing a different rom cause me to re root again like that?

And yes i would need the link for that application. (is there a way to download that OTA)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvltech