ROM Manager & ClockworkMod Recovery

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You are fine.

Do NOT delete the update.zip. In fact, copy it to your computer so you will never have to root again. Just copy that file back to your SD at a later date and apply packages.

Ignore what ROM manager says about CW. That is only useful after the initial root. As you note, once you start loading kernels and ROMs, there are newer versions available.

You are safe. Update.zip is the one TitBu put there. Leave them all. :)

Reactions: DoctorQMM

DoctorQMM

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You are fine.

Do NOT delete the update.zip. In fact, copy it to your computer so you will never have to root again. Just copy that file back to your SD at a later date and apply packages.

Ignore what ROM manager says about CW. That is only useful after the initial root. As you note, once you start loading kernels and ROMs, there are newer versions available. You are safe. Update.zip is the one TitBu put there. Leave them all. :)

Thanks for the replies. Question: if I keep the "update.zip" on root, then sometime later while in CWM recovery I inadvertently hit "apply sdcard: update.zip", what will happen? I think this update.zip is the ROM Manager CWM v2.5.1.2 (Green Recovery). Will it overwrite my CWM v2.5.1.3 (RED Recovery) which I got from Voodoo kernel? Don't want to jack this up as I need RED for voodoo lag fix. Thx.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Question: if I keep the "update.zip" on root, then sometime later while in CWM recovery I inadvertently hit "apply sdcard: update.zip", what will happen? I think this update.zip is the ROM Manager CWM v2.5.1.2 (Green Recovery). Will it overwrite my CWM v2.5.1.3 (RED Recovery) which I got from Voodoo kernel? Don't want to jack this up as I need RED for voodoo lag fix. Thx.

You'll have to confirm it. If you accidentally do, you can probably just reflash the kernel.

rserda

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Here's the fix for the CWM recovery boot issue on FROYO... it's all got to do with the version of recovery mode that comes with FROYO (version 3e)on the Captivate.. it forces signature verification of the "update.zip" files.. will fail everytime. This mods the recovery boot to disable sig verification, which was native on the older versions of recovery as well as stock on custom roms (version 2e)... check it out.. tried it over the weekend.. ROCKS! was able to now install his (supercurios) voodoo fix for the stock froyo capptivate kernal.. NICE!

recovery fix:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=734163

captivate stock froyo voodoo lagfix:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=870760

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Here's the fix for the CWM recovery boot issue on FROYO... it's all got to do with the version of recovery mode that comes with FROYO (version 3e)on the Captivate.. it forces signature verification of the "update.zip" files.. will fail everytime. This mods the recovery boot to disable sig verification, which was native on the older versions of recovery as well as stock on custom roms (version 2e)... check it out.. tried it over the weekend.. ROCKS! was able to now install his (supercurios) voodoo fix for the stock froyo capptivate kernal.. NICE!

recovery fix:
[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for Captivate (FINAL! SAFE!) - xda-developers

captivate stock froyo voodoo lagfix:
[KERNEL] stock+Voodoo stable 5.x for Captivate - xda-developers

I think you gave the wrong link, because that's the thread for 2e recovery. Here's the 3e one:

[RECOVERY] 3e Recovery Modded w/ No Verification - xda-developers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Capt Alan