Rooting, fixing Bing/Google, then unrooting?

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If my mission here is to just fix the Google/Bing debacle... can I root, make the search fix, then unroot?

Will I be able to do OTA updates?
Will OTA updates or any software updates change back the Bing thing? Would I have to reroot the device, re-fix the search thing and unroot again after I upgrade to 2.2?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Of course you can do that.

Judging from the latest OTA update, they (VZW) are not interested in ensuring "compliance" with their factory search/Bing default settings.

Let me ask you, though, why unroot? Other than adding one or two files, and installing a new app (neither of which changes any existing system files), rooting is about the least invasive manual operation you can perform.

Applying the lag-fix is order of magnitudes more risky to your device's operational state than rooting it.

This OTA update applied fine if you were rooted. It removed root access by dropping the execute permission on the 'su' binary, but restoring that permission is trivial.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I think unroot, so that IF I have to go to VZW for help, or IF there is some sort of update, I don't have to worry about it.

I'd most likely keep Touchwiz, at this time not apply the lag fix, all I'd really wanna do is fix Google. From the little I've used Bing on the Fascinate, I've hated it and feel that it takes forever to get the Voice commands right.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Hey, it's your device, whatever makes you comfortable. :)

All you really need root for is to rename the bing apk to apk.old. The rest of the changes you should be able to do without root.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
You mean the downloading and installing the Google Enhanced search .apk?

And your saying if I download that and then rename bing and unroot... I'll probably be able to do OTA updates (such as 2.2) and it won't wipe the search change I've made?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
No. You don't need to be root to install the enhanced google search.

You need to be root to rename the bing application (.apk file) in /system/app directory. That is what makes your voice searches (long press and hold on the soft search key (magnifying glass button) go through Google.

You may just want to install the enhanced Google search and see if that's good enough for you first, before proceeding further.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, I definitely want to be able to do voice searches with a long press of the soft search key.

I'd also need to install a new browser (like Dolphin) in order to get the search in browser to work through Google right? The stock doesn't work through Google?

What else is there? Will there be absolutely any other traces of Bing on the phone? Other than like a widget or search bar on the home screen that I can hide? Are there any other places that use Bing's voice to text? Like for contacts, texting, emailing....

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
If you do the three changes (LauncherPro Widget, enhanced apk, rename bing) then the default browser will only provide bing results if you search from the toolbar (type and actual search instead of a valid URL), or (I think) if you do a voice search while in the browser.

Downloading and using a new browser (such as Dolphin HD) instead of the stock browser resolves this.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
What if I don't install LauncherPro and keep it Touchwiz? I can still go enhanced apk, rename bing, would still need to install a new browser.... but I just wouldn't get a Google Search Widget on the homescreen?

How is doing voice to text in the text entry boxes like email or texting? Is it as smooth and accurate as like on a Droid X?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
You need LP to get the widget. Otherwise, no widget. Some people want it, some don't.

I have no idea about anything else, I've never had a droid x and I don't use voice to anything. Why not try it and find out?

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a Fascinate yet and trying to weigh what I can fix in order to decide what to get.

The form factor on the Fascinate FAR FAR surpasses the Droid X for me... but I'm concerned about search on the Fascinate.

I wouldn't need a widget on my homescreen if I could get the search button to work.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Ah, well, best you can do then is check it out at the store, or see if someone here uses that functionality. I haven't heard any specific complaints, but I can't say for sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick