S22 Ultra having issues receiving and sending texts what to do?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
What messaging app are you using?

I don't have "conversation categories" in the default Samsung messaging app. I am in the beta too...

using the stock samsung messages app, I haven't switched over to the google messages app, haven't seen a need to yet. maybe the beta version doesn't have it? if i open the messages app, hit the 3 dots then settings, the conversation categories option is the 2nd one on the list

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
using the stock samsung messages app, I haven't switched over to the google messages app, haven't seen a need to yet. maybe the beta version doesn't have it? if i open the messages app, hit the 3 dots then settings, the conversation categories option is the 2nd one on the list
I guess the beta doesn't have it. I checked again and I don't see it. Thanks for the reply.

myunzii

Mar 17, 2022
Visit site
Anyone find a fix for this?

Wasted over 3 hours on chat with AT&T & Samsung tech support. They had no clue. Both techs even remote accessed my phone - reset settings. I see a lot of people griping about AT&T RCS network - and going as far as to flash U1 unlocked firmware over AT&Ts - but Noone specifically mentions they are having this issue. I'd love to have everything working the way it should, even if I dont have vanilla google messages, but this is a serious effing issue. Missing messages especially for work can get you fired. On both individual & group texts I randomly get this little bubble that says tap to download and sometimes if I don't see it in time, it times out and I can never see what was sent. I tried all the info online about disabling chat features via the Google site. Even put my Sim back in my previous Note 10 plus phone and disabled advanced chat features in old messages app and even downloaded Google messages and disabled chat features from there (even tho I never used Google messages on that phone) They also tried to put me back on the old samsung messages app and the issue persists.

I have the 512gb snapdragon version. Most expensive flagship rn. Wtf is going on and how do I fix this?!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if related but having the issue too with my Note 20 Ultra on AT&T in New York City last few days. Been using Google Messages beta for last week or so and no issues in Florida.

Been in NYC last few days and after a day in New York I get the download messages on my texts. Seems to be affecting group texts. They never download so I thought a Google Messages thing or Beta thing since it happened after the last Beta update so I uninstalled it and went back to Samsung Messages. I got one or two more of those download prompts with Samsung switching back but not sure if residue from the Google Messages but then it seemed to be ok next day or two.

After a couple of days I thought maybe it wasn't a Google issue and installed it again last night. Now while at airport I started getting group chats and after the conversation getting going get a ton of download messages.

I'm gonna chalk this up to Google Messages and maybe their beta.. or maybe cause I'm in New York but to lose so many messages while on a trip in NY is annoying as all heck so back to Samsung Messages.

There was nothing wrong with Samsung. Just wanted to see the iPhone reactions but it still wasn't being pushed to my phone anyways with Beta so forget it for now.

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
ok, so just an update. even with conversation categories toggled off, I still get texts from random people in a group chat I'm in saying there's a message to download, but it's very random as to which contact it gets sent from. sometimes I'll get multiple from the same person, sometimes I'll get one from multiple contacts in the chat. hopefully with updates now starting to roll out from carriers, this will be corrected

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Back in Florida and back to Samsung Internett and texting hasn't been an issue. Again Im running an N20U but the download message prompt sounded similar. Dunno if for me an AT&T issue with me in New York for some reason or because of Google Messages but back to normal once I got back to Florida. Good luck with your issue.

Don't know if related but having the issue too with my Note 20 Ultra on AT&T in New York City last few days. Been using Google Messages beta for last week or so and no issues in Florida.

Been in NYC last few days and after a day in New York I get the download messages on my texts. Seems to be affecting group texts. They never download so I thought a Google Messages thing or Beta thing since it happened after the last Beta update so I uninstalled it and went back to Samsung Messages. I got one or two more of those download prompts with Samsung switching back but not sure if residue from the Google Messages but then it seemed to be ok next day or two.

After a couple of days I thought maybe it wasn't a Google issue and installed it again last night. Now while at airport I started getting group chats and after the conversation getting going get a ton of download messages.

I'm gonna chalk this up to Google Messages and maybe their beta.. or maybe cause I'm in New York but to lose so many messages while on a trip in NY is annoying as all heck so back to Samsung Messages.

There was nothing wrong with Samsung. Just wanted to see the iPhone reactions but it still wasn't being pushed to my phone anyways with Beta so forget it for now.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I totally think this is yet another ATT issue and of course they are clueless. I have not heard this issue from someone that did not have an ATT. I have this issue with mainly group messages where someone will send a message, and it comes in as a separate MMS that tells me to click to download. But it either never does, or does hours later, and when it does, the message moves to the group chat but now out of place. This problem use to be on occasion, but this past week it's been very frequent. It doesn't matter if that other person is using an iPhone or Android and it definitely doesn't matter if they are on ATT.

Of course this is on top of their RCS issue.

Messaging on this phone has become an extremely sub par experience thanks to ATT.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
@KupKrazy I'd have to agree with you most likely an AT&T issue. I've had AT&T foverever and I had this download message issue going back at least with my Note 8. Would happen in group texts and not until the texts in a group chat would start getting heavy. Haven't had it in a while so this past week was surprising and again happened while just recently deciding to Beta GM and hit hard last week while I was traveling.

All better 2 days back in Florida so left with my head scratching. Could be something GM triggered with AT&T texting? Maybe isolated network issue?? Oh well for now.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
@KupKrazy I'd have to agree with you most likely an AT&T issue. I've had AT&T foverever and I had this download message issue going back at least with my Note 8. Would happen in group texts and not until the texts in a group chat would start getting heavy. Haven't had it in a while so this past week was surprising and again happened while just recently deciding to Beta GM and hit hard last week while I was traveling.

All better 2 days back in Florida so left with my head scratching. Could be something GM triggered with AT&T texting? Maybe isolated network issue?? Oh well for now.

It's getting worse for me. Last night, during a group chat - I had this issue 6 times and those messages still have not come in no matter how many times I "download" the message. So I have a group chat missing messages and a bunch of single chat sessions with that downloading button. Since this used to happen years ago too and once in a while with the regular Samsung messages app before GM, I am going to chalk it up to ATT really doing an amazing job of being bad!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae