S6 Edge - Screen rotation does not work properly

anon(5419168)

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Received my third tmo 64gb edge yesterday by UPS. Tossed it on the table and left to get dinner out and to stop by to get the wife a s6 regular. Didn't open the package, too afraid after all the hassles. 2 defective edge models and 2 non edge models shipped by tmo in error.

Setup the wife's s6 when I got back and........ works great. I freed my new edge and began the process of setting it up. Set it up, fast charged, and added tmo's update. So far, this one is flawless. Let it set overnight without being on the charger and battery dropped from 100% to 94% after 8 hours and still rotates..

I hope all these issues get worked out for everyone who has an s6 edge now, and those who get it in the future. Tmo was easy to work with through this process, they made some mistakes but stepped up to get it corrected.

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem here with a S6 non-edge version. So it could still be software related.
Have there been any reports of people fixing the problem?
EDIT:
Just contacted Samsung Live chat support on their website. Went trough a couple of things already mentioned here with no effect. They said to return it to my carrier. The person I spoke to had not heard of this problem before. I was the first one.

Last edited:

jtg11

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
picked up a Verizon S6 Edge on 4/10 from best buy pre-order. About 4/15, is when I noticed my rotation not working any more. It did work initially. I have not touched developer options at all.

Any other thoughts on this other than returning for a replacement? those that received replacements, I assume you are getting a new phone as there can't really be refurbished units yet.

jtg11

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Took mine back to Best Buy and they replaced it with a new one without question. The manager there said he has seen this several times ... not epidemic, but has seen it to the point as soon as I showed them, immediately got me a knew one. FWIW, my experience with BB has been first class.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
From everything I have read about this particular issue...both here and on XDA...it is due to the high heat caused by fast charging. It is frying the gyroscope in the phone permanently! Some have stopped using the fast charger on their replacements and the issue is "fixed" though this is not what I would call a fix! Clearly Samsung has a real problem with the Edge in more ways than one. Makes you wonder what they're doing with all those returned phones???:eek::confused:

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
FYI, my TMobile 64 gb gold still has no rotation issue after 3-4 days, cross fingers. Sorry to hear you all are having the issue. I know it can be frustrating.

nikitathedog

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Jeez, guys, what a nightmare you're all having. I've had my T-mobile 64 edge for four and a half days. I have the rattle in the upper corner. Rotation is working fine so far. Looks like you all had a problem in two days or less. So am I in the clear? Wishing you all the best of luck getting this resolved as quickly as possible...

Waiting to see what develops here but had my phone (128gb - verizon) from 4/16 and so far so good. Mine also has a rattle since the first day. As of this morning all is still working.

DocRid

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Returned my 2nd Edge to Verizon for a refund and cancelled my contract. What a hassle... first they were trying to tell me that I had to send it in myself. Then, they spent 20 minutes trying to figure out if 14 days have passed since April 10th :confused:

I had to pay the restocking fee (they just took it from the refund). I'm content with the fee versus the continued inconveniences I'll experience if I keep the phone or try to get more replacements.

Now, I'm going to wait until my S4 contract is up with AT&T next month to possibly revisit the Edge if this issue is fixed.

terrel_b

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
From everything I have read about this particular issue...both here and on XDA...it is due to the high heat caused by fast charging. It is frying the gyroscope in the phone permanently! Some have stopped using the fast charger on their replacements and the issue is "fixed" though this is not what I would call a fix! Clearly Samsung has a real problem with the Edge in more ways than one. Makes you wonder what they're doing with all those returned phones???:eek::confused:

Has the OTA update been ruled out as potentially writing some kooky driver software at this point?

People having this issue have both upgraded to the latest OTA and not upgraded?

I just can't believe Samsung hadn't tested charging these things with the charger that comes with the phone and found this issue themselves.

pdxpaulee

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Just thought I'd post my experience for posterity. I received my first phone on Friday and within an hour it quit rotating. I did use the fast charger and I enabled debugging mode. Saw this thread and took it back right away and Verizon replaced it without question nor troubleshooting. The CSR said this was the first one they saw. My second one has been fine so far, no fast charger, no debug. I did try and turn everything on for a day (GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, Hotspot, etc...) and open up a lot of apps to try and make it over heat but no such luck. It sucked the battery in about 8 hours but thats all I noticed with the exception of I did have a moment where the home screen wouldnt rotate (I use Go Launcher). Other apps would rotate but not all. A simple restart fixed that one so I doubt its related. I'm tempted to try fast charging again but I need my phone for work and I've wasted WAY too much time on this as is. I hope Samsung is checking out this thread and does something about it soon. As much as I love the Edge so far, I'm unimpressed with this issue. I hope its an easy fix.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a 64GB Verizon ... No rotation issue, but I have not used the adaptive fast charger either. Using the old one from my S5. I'm scared to use the fast charger now.

techman05

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
You should be fine with the fast charger. If it's. Heat issue I can tell you I only had it try to shut down once using it as my car GPS (Google maps still sucks the phone dry) and rotation worked fine. I've had it for an entire week with no major issue (apps didn't connect to their mothership or still don't use the processor to it prime) so I can be happy for now.

Still happy my s6 is keeping up with my other family members on power (s6 at 50% s5 at dead 10-7 est and limited charging)

djpushplay

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Has the OTA update been ruled out as potentially writing some kooky driver software at this point?

People having this issue have both upgraded to the latest OTA and not upgraded?

I just can't believe Samsung hadn't tested charging these things with the charger that comes with the phone and found this issue themselves.

To be clear, the *#0*# hardware test program reads the accelerometer chip registers directly. There is no drivers/API involved. Therefore, since the registers (sometimes X & Y, sometimes only X or Y) are stuck at all bits on (32767 & -32768) there is no software/firmware fix possible. If the problem was an offset to the actual number, that could be fixed with a firmware update but there is no chance of that in this case. Back in the day, I've had similar problems but not at this scale of # of units Samsung is producing.

As for testing procedures, I'm guessing that they charge the batteries prior to installing them in the phone. It would be too time consuming to charge the batteries after assembly, even fast charging. Not to mention, this would increase the chances of scratches or damage to the phone prior to packaging. Frankly, I don't blame Samsung in this case, unless the chips are manufactured by them. More likely, they are just a bad batch from an outside vendor. Heat problems are common but very difficult to diagnose prior to manufacturing. The chip manufacturer cannot heat test every chip prior to shipping either. So basically, sometimes things like this do happen, but usually not to this scale.

cruisencode

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Well, I finally went back to Best Buy yesterday. They had the guy at the Samsung booth try something on my phone. Basically, he plugged it into the USB port on his laptop and ran some utility (didn't wipe out any data). When that didn't work, they replaced my phone. That was around 3:00pm EDT yesterday. Everything is still OK, as of now. I'm hoping this one will be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali