S7 or S7 edge?

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Hey all. I am going back to Android for my daily driver. I returned in my IP7 plus today and I am debating the S7, S7 edge. I am wondering how the battery life on the edge is and if the edge itself is annoying. I briefly had the Note 7 and I loved that phone and the subtler edges. Anyway, I also like the 5.1 inch screen of the S7 and it's a sweet AMOLED screen, but is the edge that much bigger or does it FEEL a lot bigger. Thanks for the feedback in advance.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The Edge does feel that much bigger than the ordinary S7. The edges aren't annoying once you slap a decently designed case on it.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I've had many phones myself and this is the first phone where I'm touching screen with the palm of my hand.. really annoying sometimes..

For me a good reason to never buy the edge variant.

Also, the 5.1" feels pretty slick in the hand!

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
For me it was about how it fit in my pocket, and the Edge was too big for my pockets. I'm happy with the size of the S7.

bthornton84

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I've been using S7 (non edge) since the day it was released. On a whim, I picked up a used S7 Edge off of Craigslist about a month ago to see if I would like it better. My observations:

• The Edge looks cooler. I think this is the main reason it outsells the S7.
  • I prefer to look at the larger Edge screen. There's so many pixels on this screen and you don't lose any fidelity by stretching the screen size.
  • The additional edge features were useless to me and I turned them off. There's nothing inherently intuitive about swiping on the curved edge to me, and trying that move while holding the phone makes me afraid that I'll drop it.
  • Without a case, my palm constantly triggered actions on the edge of the screen. Adding a thin case helped this a lot and it became a non-issue after I knew how to hold it, but something to consider if you leave your phone naked. This probably would have been a deal-breaker without a case.
  • In hand, the size of the phone actually wasn't much of an issue (surprisingly). I could still use the Edge with one hand, and I don't have huge hands. In my pocket, though, I could definitely notice the additional size/heft and that was annoying. And then there were other annoyances like not being able to fit the phone lengthwise in my car's cupholder (although this is specific to my car).
  • I can't comment on battery life as my Galaxy S7 is an Exynos variant running Nougat and my Galaxy S7 Edge is a Snapdragon variant running Marshmallow. After upgrading to Nougat, my S7 easily gives me all-day battery life with usually more than 30% battery remaining, which is plenty acceptable to me.

At the end of the day, the Galaxy S7 remains my daily driver while my Galaxy S7 Edge looks pretty on my desk and constantly tempts me to pick it up. If the Edge did indeed have better battery life than the non-Edge, it might be enough to swing me the other way. But until my TMO Edge gets Nougat, I can't really do an apples-to-apples comparison.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I had the S7, sold it and got the S7 edge, first, it doesn't fit in my BMW's phone cradle, secondly it was too big for my liking. Never buying a big phone again and I hate the edge features, never used em. They're just a gimmick