Samsung Galaxy S4: APN Straight Talk settings HELP

Susan Duke

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 APN Straight Talk settings HELP

I tried, this, but every time I entered the MNC it would cause the apn to "disappear". When I try to save it after that, it disappears, but I can save everything up to that. Any other solutions?

Susan Duke1

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Is there some reason why my phone will not allow me to set the MNC as 410? Whenever I enter that it erases all my entries/ will not save my settings. I have been able to get some things working, but not MMS, web, or email.

proxy69

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

SJSulli <=== i have an atnt galaxy s4 working on straight talk with picture message and internet, if you need help with that let me know, leave your email and ill send all the info

mama7489

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

using an s4 with an att sim bought from ebay with straight talk. at first I was unable to receive mms but then they started coming through. data worked fine. but my calls would like never come through!!! I could call from another phone within the same house and would ring a few times and get my voicemail. nothing would even show on my phone.i did notice it would say Restricted Access Change at times when trying to call it tho? ANY IDEAS?? please!

Gregory Todd

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

None of these threads help. I got my samsung galaxy s4 from at&t unlocked. I have had straight talk for more than 3 months now. I currently have the iphone 4 unlocked on it and it works just fine. The apn settings were no problem. But the galaxy s4, its not that easy. Apparently there is some kind of firewell from unlocking devices or something. One thing works and the other doesnt. Im already frustrated and googled all i can do. If somebody can help me, other than repeat the thread over and over i would really appreciate it to the fullest. I have re-edited the original apn, reboot, or whatever. The phone comes back on and its the original apn. It wont let me add a new apn either. I really dont get it! Its quoted that the phones manufactured after 2013 were supposed to be making difficult. Somebody help me thx. :mad:

anon(149871)

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

So here is the little trick I happened to stumble across reading a few threads about people having Straight Talk ATT APN issues.

The Magic Key:
YOU MUST EDIT THE ORIGINAL DEFAULT APN YOUR PHONE GIVES YOU. Editing or making the original default APN correct is the key.

Why this is??? I have no idea... However I can tell you that Straight Talk really doesn't care or have the motivation to fix this due to them not really wanting us on ATT anymore anyway. I believe somehow the phones are holding what they have in the default as the only APN that works no matter what second, third, forth, etc....APN you select.

Tmobile Samsung Galaxy S3(JB 4.1.2) - I spent all of about 2 minutes editing my Unlocked Tmobile Galaxy S3's default APN it gave me. Mine worked perfect in 2 minutes because Samsung allows this.

Tmobile Optimus L9(JB 4.1.2) - I spent just about all weekend slamming my head against the wall on my wife's Unlocked Tmobile Optimus L9. In the infinite wisdom of LG they decided to be cute and lock down the default APN setting from being editable. I tried every secondary APN settings on the net I could find. None worked. She did have internet, just no MMS.(Her default APN was partially correct which is why I think she had internet only.) So I had to friggen go as far as rooting her phone and editing the apns-conf.xml file located in the \system\etc folder with the proper settings shown below. Doing this corrects the default APN the phones sees for what sim card is in it. For tracphone on hers I believe it comes up under "Media Net" for whatever reason.

Once you do the edit I have listed above, reboot the phone. Add in a temp fake second APN, then get back to the main APN screen. Once you are there hit the menu button and select reset to default. Magically the new edit you did to the apns-conf.xml file will show with your Straight Talk edits. After that everything will work!

Even if you deleted out the original default APN the above step of reset to default will bring back the original one so you can edit for say on a Samsung S3. Remember editing or making the original default APN correct is the key.

APN settings that work:

Name : Straight Talk
APN : att.mvno
Proxy : Left Blank
Port : Left Blank
User name : Left Blank
Password : Left Blank
Server : Left Blank
MMSC : http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy : 66.209.11.33
MMS port : 80
MCC : 310
MNC : 410
Authentication type : Left Blank
APN type : default,supl,mms
APN protocol : IPv4

Enjoy!
OMG, you sir ARE AWESOME! After days and days looking for solutions on making MMS work on my GS3, this is the real solution. Now I can both receive and send MMS on my T999 GS3 using Straight Talk! I did just as you said and edited the file. On the GS3 there are two MediaNet entries. Both have to reflect the following lines, data got from here:

mcc="310"
mnc="410"
apn="tfdata"
port="80"
mmsc="http://mms-tf.net"
mmsproxy="66.209.11.33"
mmsport="80"
type="default,supl,mms"
File permissions are rw-r--r--. Reboot and voila! Everything working as it should.

steelew

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

I am looking at this from a different angle. I would like to use the verizon MVNO service through straight talk. If I buy a verizon galaxy s4 SCH-i545, will it work on or do you have to use the GSM SIM card to get it to work? Would it be smarter to get the AT&T version in case LTE comes to straight talk? My plan is that if straight talk doesn't work out after a while, to move to verizon. I have AT&T now and it could be better. Thanks.

Funny b0nz

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

As of 8/23 here are the settings that are working. I just ported my phone long time Sprint customer since 97 over to straight talk on Unlocked Samsung GS4 (SGH-I337) Case sensitive
Name:STRAIGHT_TALK
APN:tfdata
port:80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80

You should leave everything else as is after you created a new APN. Once finished, click menu, and save. Power off device and power back on and you will be good to go.

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

As of 8/23 here are the settings that are working. I just ported my phone long time Sprint customer since 97 over to straight talk on Unlocked Samsung GS4 (SGH-I337) Case sensitive
Name:STRAIGHT_TALK
APN:tfdata
port:80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80

You should leave everything else as is after you created a new APN. Once finished, click menu, and save. Power off device and power back on and you will be good to go.

I have tried EVERYTHING for my Samsung T989 unlocked with AT&T sim (or whatever the new sim that is not t-mobile compatible) I am getting nothing. I can get 4g with the internet and stuff I can get texts I can send mms they recieve them but when I get an mms from them I am unable to download it.

I am tired and frustrated after spending 12+ hours tryng to fix this today. Does anyone have any answers!?

surffdog

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

I have done exactly what you have said Funnyb0nz with same phone and still cannot get it to work, that is MMS picture messaging. I'm going crazy trying to get this to work.

AZeter

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

So I have this same phone lg optimus l9. I unlocked it from tmobile and am using a new att straight talk sim. I have tried all the settings but nothing works. I have been able to get internet, but not picture messages. I read your post and I am not sure how to "root the phone and change the settings that I need to change. I am hopeful that you would be able to help me figure this phone out! Please and Thank you.

nylekelly

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

I've tried many settings but so far nothing worked for my S4.

Apn protocol,apn roaming protocol and enable/disable APN (APN enabled but uncheked) were greyed out.

Please help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174