Samsung Galaxy S4 Battery Life

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could return my S4! It's 2 weeks old. Previously I was am iPhone user.

On iPhone I would say that I am a moderate to heavy user. I am texting all day long on and off, I use twitter 2-3 times a day for less then 15 minutes. I check and reply to emails through out the day. I read the news for about 30 minutes a day. I surf the web here and there. I make 2-6 phone calls between 5-30 minutes, play games and other misc stuff. Off the charger at 7am. At bedtime Round 9pm I have well over 20%.

On my S4 I would say I am a light user. I am texting on and off throughout the day, I check twitter once for less then 5 minutes or not at all. I don't check emails because I've yet to make it a day on the battery. If I get even 1 phone call I will need to charge around 2-3pm, otherwise I make it until about 4-5pm and it's dead. I have the brightness on the screen turned to 25% which is hard to even see outside. I have no widgets, removed those. I have the battery saving feature on, GPS is disabled, I've read every trick and tip post google found for me and tried it. I LOVE LOVE the phone, but truthfully, I cannot have a phone that I have to worry about the battery or grab a charger when leave. I don't understand why the battery is so awful! I pay a lot of $$ monthly for PHONE service and if I dare answer the call on my S4 I better find a charger ASAP!

I'm ready to ditch my iPhone 5, but what is going on with the MUCH newer and nicer S4 and the battery?! Usually I can tweak my setting enough that I don't have to worry.. This battery issue is what has forced me to stay within iPhone for over 5 years! Sheesh my son can stream netflix on his 1st gen iPod touch and watch the whole movie.. My S4 would die before I finished! What gives? I'm not up for carrying a charger or an extra battery.. Personally I feel I shouldn't have too, the money see phones cost, I should have an issue like this...

- Frustrated

Could you please post a screenshot of the battery stats and graph right before you charge the phone?
It will give us a better idea what may be going on.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Bobbie629

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Could you please post a screenshot of the battery stats and graph right before you charge the phone?
It will give us a better idea what may be going on.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

I will have to post tomorrow.. Within 10 minutes of posting this I had to connect to the charger. I will post screenshots tomorrow. I'm literally at a loss. I feel like I have a basic flip phone for Pete's sake! I have to have all the features turned off just to make it through the day!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I will have to post tomorrow.. Within 10 minutes of posting this I had to connect to the charger. I will post screenshots tomorrow. I'm literally at a loss. I feel like I have a basic flip phone for Pete's sake! I have to have all the features turned off just to make it through the day!

Understandable. Somewhere along the line, we will figure something out.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

ramordep

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
mine lasted 4 hrs of screen time. i use greenify, juice defender and sync is set to manual. i usually browse using 3g/4g and casually listens to music and watch YouTube videos. Is 4 hrs of scren time acceptable to what im currently doing? or is this lesser than expected?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Quaz

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys, I'd love some help on this too!

Mine s4 has always been like this, but it basically just doesn't "seem" right. Each morning I have about 1.25 hours of bus time to work , and in that time I'm on the net (Opera Mini). In that time my battery reg drains into the 60's and the main culprit is the screen. However, I have it set to only 25% ? Does this seem right?

Few extra points :, I have power saving on, gps/location services/wi fi etc all off, I run clean master, I have ALL the "fancy" features off. I just don't get it! Below is my battery stats. Is this normal?

Screenshot_2013-10-02-08-36-41.jpg

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Today I got 14 hours with 3 hours of screen time. Usually I get around 10-11 because I stream music while I'm at work.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hey Guys, I'd love some help on this too!

Mine s4 has always been like this, but it basically just doesn't "seem" right. Each morning I have about 1.25 hours of bus time to work , and in that time I'm on the net (Opera Mini). In that time my battery reg drains into the 60's and the main culprit is the screen. However, I have it set to only 25% ? Does this seem right?

Few extra points :, I have power saving on, gps/location services/wi fi etc all off, I run clean master, I have ALL the "fancy" features off. I just don't get it! Below is my battery stats. Is this normal?

View attachment 84040

honestly, that *could* be normal if your screen is on that entire time and you're actively using data. (especially since on a bus you're probably going in and out of cell coverage and frequently switching towers).

what is your standby battery life like? I always feel like you need to evaluate both screen time battery life and standby battery performance to get a good idea if something is wrong.

EDIT: also, disabling all those services and features you mention really won't improve battery life during use... those measures are primarily recommend to extend battery life during periods of inactivity, mainly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
mine lasted 4 hrs of screen time. i use greenify, juice defender and sync is set to manual. i usually browse using 3g/4g and casually listens to music and watch YouTube videos. Is 4 hrs of scren time acceptable to what im currently doing? or is this lesser than expected?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Sounds pretty good, I get about 4-5 or so hours of screen time. Also using juice defender, without it I get around 3.5 hours - 4.5 hours, screen is about a third of brightness.

Posted via Android Central App

dportal2006

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I get the exact same screen time. I use mine at about 1/3 brightness. Maybe if i lower it even more i get max 3 hours. I would not call that goo. I am using a Galaxy S3 though.

str8bucs

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Some people opt for an extra battery or a battery case.... I know going into the S4 the battery life wasn't that great so I decided to go with this LINK

hausjam

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I typically charge my phone at work and leave it unplugged over night. Usually lose about 10-15% over those 8 hours or so. But every so often I will lose 30-50% overnight. The only culprit is Google services and I can't figure out why. Once it was about 60% when I went to bed and dead when I awoke next morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I typically charge my phone at work and leave it unplugged over night. Usually lose about 10-15% over those 8 hours or so. But every so often I will lose 30-50% overnight. The only culprit is Google services and I can't figure out why. Once it was about 60% when I went to bed and dead when I awoke next morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Turn off location service. That fixed the drain for me

Posted via Android Central App

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Like UJ95x, I've found that location services is one of the biggest drains. I'm using Snapdragon's BatteryGuru app to control app syncing and Lux Auto Brightness to control screen brightness, and with those on, not using the phone much, mostly keeping it in airplane mode (I have a very weak signal at home so use a landline phone there), and using wifi only when I want it, I have 70% battery remaining after 1d 23h 26m on battery; use was 36% from screen (just over 1 hr. of screen time), 34% device idle, 14% Google Services, 5% Android OS, 4% YouTube, 2% voice calls, and 2% Android System. I know most people wouldn't use the phone this way, especially the airplane mode part, but thought it interesting how long the battery will last depending on how the phone is used.

FernleyE

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't think the battery life on my S4 is bad at all. I'm new to the platform/device but the pics below are essentially what I get as a rule. I am not a power user but I'm pretty steady. Screenshot_2013-10-14-23-09-27.jpgScreenshot_2013-10-14-23-09-33.jpgScreenshot_2013-10-14-23-09-45.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-14-23-09-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-14-23-09-27.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci