Samsung Galaxy S4 Battery Life

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any recent experience with the Battery Guru app? Just curious if anyone has had any real success with that app.

I think it's working well for me, but I haven't done comparison testing to confirm that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it's anything related to it, but 2 days ago I got a Firmware Update saying ( fixing some stability issues ).

1. Last night I played with Buzz launcher trying to make a nice screen, and I had the screen set to maximum Brightness. MY phone was about 80% when I started it, and I by the time the battery went down to 25% I already had 4 hours and 48 minutes of ON Time. Which is so far the best I ever had. and that's just by using 55% of the battery. I could have probably hit 6-7 hours.
CONDITIONS: Max Screen Brightness, Strong WiFi signal, Some Chatting on LINE, and downloading tons of Homepacks from Buzz Launcher. ( DIDN'T Play and game )

2. Today
From 95% to 20% in 6h31min ( on time 2h55m )
CONDITIONS: Auto Brightness, 3G poor signal (1-2 bars), a lot of LINE / Mixi chatting, email sending, 50 minutes of Voice Navigation usage

Seems to me like the biggest battery killer after the screen is the mobile connection. If the signal is weak, it rapes your battery. Does it even show in the battery stats?

But still I got better usage time than before. Did you guys get the update? Could it be that they improve the battery lifetime in the last small update? it was about 120MB.

Well I'll post my screen on time before I charge my phone at the end of the night. I'm pretty sure my screen on time was around 2.5 hours as well. Some may be using bigger battery and not the standard 2600 mAh battery. So that may be one reason why others have such a higher usage time. I'm sure there are a lot of factors to why it brings up higher screen on time and with good usage. I'm pretty sure listening to music on the phone will do just that.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it's anything related to it, but 2 days ago I got a Firmware Update saying ( fixing some stability issues ).

1. Last night I played with Buzz launcher trying to make a nice screen, and I had the screen set to maximum Brightness. MY phone was about 80% when I started it, and I by the time the battery went down to 25% I already had 4 hours and 48 minutes of ON Time. Which is so far the best I ever had. and that's just by using 55% of the battery. I could have probably hit 6-7 hours.
CONDITIONS: Max Screen Brightness, Strong WiFi signal, Some Chatting on LINE, and downloading tons of Homepacks from Buzz Launcher. ( DIDN'T Play and game )

2. Today
CONDITIONS: Auto Brightness, 3G poor signal (1-2 bars), a lot of LINE / Mixi chatting, email sending, 50 minutes of Voice Navigation usage

Seems to me like the biggest battery killer after the screen is the mobile connection. If the signal is weak, it rapes your battery. Does it even show in the battery stats?

But still I got better usage time than before. Did you guys get the update? Could it be that they improve the battery lifetime in the last small update? it was about 120MB.

Yes you are correct in saying that when the signal is weak that it will drain your battery, as it will continue to look for receptions.

I'm not so sure about the update, i'm on AT&T and I just checked to software and it appears that I have the latest one so I don't have any new updates on mine. I do have 4.3 MK2 (AT&T firmware) installed. But for me I have to say that I have seen some great battery life on 4.3 then being on 4.2.2. Prior to the update I had to charge mine a lot.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

2. Today

That sounds unrealistically good for auto brightness. I have hit 6/7 hours but have auto brightness about half the time and almost at the lowest for the rest of the time. Is this the stock battery?

Posted via Android Central App

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
That sounds unrealistically good for auto brightness. I have hit 6/7 hours but have auto brightness about half the time and almost at the lowest for the rest of the time. Is this the stock battery?

Yea it's stock battery. My model is SIM Free GT-I9505.

I usualy get 2h -2h30m ON TIME with lowest brightness possible. 3h would be something really rare... but since last night it seems to last longer. Could it be the update?
I also downloaded Snapdragon Battery Guru, but it has 6 more hours of learning.

( I have location on, google now on, most of the smart features on, except for the eye scroll thing. The galaxy browser is slower than chrome, so thre's no APP i can use it in )

I will make a full charge now, and use the phone till it hits 1% and I'll post an update again. Maybe I was dreaming last night, because it sounds too good to be true :D.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yea it's stock battery. My model is SIM Free GT-I9505.

I usualy get 2h -2h30m ON TIME with lowest brightness possible. 3h would be something really rare... but since last night it seems to last longer. Could it be the update?
I also downloaded Snapdragon Battery Guru, but it has 6 more hours of learning.

( I have location on, google now on, most of the smart features on, except for the eye scroll thing. The galaxy browser is slower than chrome, so thre's no APP i can use it in )

I will make a full charge now, and use the phone till it hits 1% and I'll post an update again. Maybe I was dreaming last night, because it sounds too good to be true :D.

Yeah. On the stock ROM I could get about 6 hours and 15 minutes over 15-17 hours. On the current ROM (SlimBean) I can get 6-7 over about 28 hours. Again, with half of the time on auto and the rest close to lowest. Getting that on full brightness sounds insane

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I made a test.

CONDITIONS: ECO Mode ON/ WiFi & GPS OFF, 3G ( weak signal 1-2 bars ) / Auto Brightness / Continously watching YouTube ( music videos with no break ) / Volume set to 6, I use FiOO E6 for bigger volume.
The Screen was ON ALL this time.

Battery dropped from 100% to 80% in 58 Minutes -----> almost 20% by hour with screen ON.... so I'm guessing i should get over 4.5 hours. I wonder if the ratio stays the same if I use WiFi instead of poor signal 3G.

I'll update when I get home and make the same test.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Battery dropped from 100% to 80% in 58 Minutes -----> almost 20% by hour with screen ON.... so I'm guessing i should get over 4.5 hours. I wonder if the ratio stays the same if I use WiFi instead of poor signal 3G.

Well I would say that your battery do last longer being on wifi then being on 3G or LTE network. For me it always last longer on wifi then being on LTE.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got my s4 today in trade for my Note 2. Was at about 20 percent when I got it. Charged it up to about 77 percent. This is where I sit after unplugging after that partial charge up...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387074646552.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387074646552.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 70
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387074663005.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387074663005.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 65

Winanto Wins

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Recently I updated my S4 with latest firmware. The battery charging time is suddenly increasing to 4.5 hrs from about 2 hrs. What's the problem is this?

Sent from Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

jwn66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ever since the 4.3 update my screen time has dropped considerably, also time between charging has dropped a lot. Some games I played before get the phone warmer way faster, like within a minute (Simpsons and friendly fire) 4 hour screen time wasn't that rare before the update, but now getting to 3 is barely doable. Android OS is up a lot more and even instagram was taking huge chunks 20% almost, if I was signed in to it, even if it wasn't running it was using a lot of background minutes.... Think a factory reset is in order? What's the best way to do that?

Posted via Android Central App via Galaxy Note 8.0

hockeyrules192003

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm really happy with my battery, although i'm coming from a galaxy nexus so this thing seems like a beast of a battery to me. I had the phone unrooted for a while, and the battery life was really good, although after i rooted and installed greenify and froze a few apps with titanium backup, the standby time is what really impresses me. I'm not a power user by any means but I have my email synced 7-5 every 15 minutes for work and test a fair amount. However my phone is almost always on wifi. I played a fair amount of Pokemon as well. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

Screenshot_2013-12-31-21-18-02.jpg Screenshot_2013-12-31-21-17-45.jpg

dylanrod24

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm a heavy user so I took out the stock battery and put in a 5200 mah battery. My battery will lasts about 2 days without plugging it in once.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

bharding08

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Right now I'm at 50 percent with 13hours and screen is on an hour 25 minutes only. Alot less than most of your reports. I don't use the screen stuff and the brightness is very low.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Right now I'm at 50 percent with 13hours and screen is on an hour 25 minutes only. Alot less than most of your reports. I don't use the screen stuff and the brightness is very low.

What are the %s of the things using your battery?

9Nine09

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm new here and don't know if this thread exist and i just made my own thread about gs4 battery. so i hope admin can remove my thread.

This is my GS4 l9500 with Exynos octa core battery screenshoot :
Screenshot_2014-01-02-17-56-21.jpg Screenshot_2014-01-02-17-56-33.jpg
My phone condition is : mobile network active, power saving off, sreen brigthness 20%, Air gesture active, Smart stay active, Smart scroll active.
I use android 4.3 last update for this phone.
I use this phone for playing game (CoC,deemo,cytus) for about 50 minutes. And i use for hearing music for 40 minutes with screen lock. The other thing i do is browsing and open twitter.
My BBM is always active to.
My battery reduced 1% each 2-3 minutes every time i use this phone ( browsing, twitter, or use the other app) .
The time i need to fully charge my phone is +- 1 hours 20 minutes. I use Battery doctor app.
Is that normal ?