Samsung Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus specs - disappointment?

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
why are you irritated that people want the best that is available at any given time? im irritated that you would be irritated that people want the best!! it is human nature, it will never stop. quit reading threads with the word specs in the title.

First off, this argument has been in a ton of threads. Also if people want the best then what would be better than the nexus? Because when it's released, there will not be any quad core phones. What's irritating is people complaining this phone won't have specs that are not even completely developed.

And fyi, me being irritated by complaints about specs is not the same as me being irritated by complaints about the best phone. Because specs do not make something the best phone. I would take the Nexus S over the bionic because imo it's a better phone. So your "best" argument doesn't make sense to me.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Fine with either spec set, and, to be honest, 1.2 might turn out better battery wise. Clock speed is overrated anyway. The only reason I'll be disappointed is if VZW's version is dumbed down.

which is why i think the battery won't be too bad. I think they underclocked it to a speed that will not kill the battery. If i want it faster, which just a few months ago, 1.2GHZ would be more than acceptable, i can overclock it myself.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
First off, this argument has been in a ton of threads. Also if people want the best then what would be better than the nexus? Because when it's released, there will not be any quad core phones. What's irritating is people complaining this phone won't have specs that are not even completely developed.

And fyi, me being irritated by complaints about specs is not the same as me being irritated by complaints about the best phone. Because specs do not make something the best phone. I would take the Nexus S over the bionic because imo it's a better phone. So your "best" argument doesn't make sense to me.

what? my argument doesnt make sense? what do you think these guys are clamoring about? slightly better specs? no, we want they best specs! i never said best phone. we ALL know that the day it drops it is already playing second fiddle to something.

Itsthenew

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
If this phone doesn't have the exynos and the 2000 bat I will probably pass. Waiting this long for an omap will be disappointing, and ill probably just wait for the new devices that Verizon will no doubt show off next year that will have the kal el .

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
which is why i think the battery won't be too bad. I think they underclocked it to a speed that will not kill the battery. If i want it faster, which just a few months ago, 1.2GHZ would be more than acceptable, i can overclock it myself.

I'm thinking that as well, because most users will have no idea how to underclock and would complain about battery life.
Especially on Verizon's network.
Back in my BlackBerry days, the phones on T-Mobile and AT&T always had better battery life than the same phone on Verizon's network.
I'm thinking that's why they may not have to be underclocked, because their network doesn't put a strain on battery life.
Despite the mediocore battery life, I still find Verizon's network to be faster.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

johnyguy

Banned
Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
there have been 2 sets of specs leaked. ill be happy with either one but, if the VZW comes out with the lower and the other nexus for the the other carriers has the better specs, im not going to lie, i will be pissed. it is a "developers phone" why would they spec it twice?

also, on the GPU. the 4S just smoked every phone out including the SGS2 by at least double on a recent benchmark. i mean smoked the ish out of it. granted i am not sure what benchmark and what it was benchmarking but, it didnt look good.

Yep I have a feeling that we will see a GSM version with a 1.5ghz chip just like they did with the SG2 different specs for all 3 carriers , on tmobile possible a Samsung chip ,cause they could not use a samsung chip on LTE like the rumores saying i will bet you that's gonna happen..

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep I have a feeling that we will see a GSM version with a 1.5ghz chip just like they did with the SG2 different specs for all 3 carriers , on tmobile possible a Samsung chip ,cause they could not use a samsung chip on LTE like the rumores saying i will bet you that's gonna happen..

The chip may be clocked higher but it won't be a different chip. The purpose of the nexus line is to serve as a development platform, Google won't fragment that by using different chips

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
what? my argument doesnt make sense? what do you think these guys are clamoring about? slightly better specs? no, we want they best specs! i never said best phone. we ALL know that the day it drops it is already playing second fiddle to something.

Then what is everyone crying about? The prime will have a 1.2 GHZ processor, 5mp camera with a high quality sensor, and other top of the line specs. What phone available will have better specs? None, meaning you will have the BEST specs.

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't know about you guys, but I'll have mine OC'd to 1.5Ghz the day it's rooted, so no big deal there.

As far as the 5 megapixel camera goes, I see this as a positive, this very could mean a much better sensor with a sharper and faster lens. Which in the real world has a lot more to do with image quality than more MPs.

As a footnote about the processor speed, this will be a barebones system, no bloat, little to straddle the processor down. So in theory this thing will still smoke a SGSII even though they have the same processor clock speed.

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
People shouldn't be complaining about a 1.2gHz dual-core, nor should they be complaining about the GPU. Exactly what do you plan on playing on this that you're going to need that much juice? It's a freaking phone, not a console or desktop.

The camera isn't a huge deal breaker. Google isn't dumb, if the camera is 5MP, they are allocating the budget used to produce a higher MP camera into the sensors for the camera instead, which we all will be thankful for later.

Odds are a root will be out for this device shortly after its release, given the hype and enthusiasm behind the device. For those worried about processor speed, I wouldn't. By the time you get used to your phone, you're going to root and OC it up to 1.5gHz anyway.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
People shouldn't be complaining about a 1.2gHz dual-core, nor should they be complaining about the GPU. Exactly what do you plan on playing on this that you're going to need that much juice? It's a freaking phone, not a console or desktop.

The camera isn't a huge deal breaker. Google isn't dumb, if the camera is 5MP, they are allocating the budget used to produce a higher MP camera into the sensors for the camera instead, which we all will be thankful for later.

Odds are a root will be out for this device shortly after its release, given the hype and enthusiasm behind the device. For those worried about processor speed, I wouldn't. By the time you get used to your phone, you're going to root and OC it up to 1.5gHz anyway.

That is such a cop out mentality. If you say that this is just a phone, then you might as well keep your incredible. This is such a common response from HTC guys since they have the slowest processors, crappy screens with the worse cameras. Oh I don't need such a good gpu because I don't need to play games ( even though samsung's web browser and ui is gpu accelerated to run smoother ), Oh I don't care that my camera sucks because its just a phone.

Samsung fans are used to having the best hardware so we naturally would want to continue to have nothing but the best.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
If you have two cameras with identical sensors but one is set up to take 5MP photos and the other is set up to take 8MP photos the 5MP camera will take noticeably higher quality shots in low light environment whereas you will need to magnify the pictures several times before the resolution difference becomes noticeable.

Saying that a 5MP camera is good is not settling for low quality, it is excepting the reality phones will always have smaller sensors than full cameras and choosing an option that improves quality without noticeably affecting anything. Saying that 5MP is not enough is just looking at numbers on a spread sheet without thinking about what they mean

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
im so lost. You guys are saying you want the best but there is no phone out there that will have better specs than what we've heard. So again, the reason people are complaining is because they know there are better specs coming in future devices.

hnilsen

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
im so lost. You guys are saying you want the best but there is no phone out there that will have better specs than what we've heard. So again, the reason people are complaining is because they know there are better specs coming in future devices.

I'm not complaining about the CPU, or the camera. I'm just raising the question if the SGX 540 is a viable GPU, or if there is a possibility of having the 543 in there. I realize that the 540 is probably going to serve me well, but with very nice hardware comes very nice games and stuff. The GPU is also responsible for rendering the web browser and the home screen. Having seen the sluggish Honeycomb-devices, I'd opt for a better GPU if I could.

Samsung produces the A5, if I'm not mistaken, but I believe Apple pays old Sammy well for the exclusive right to do so for a while.

To me, the Nexus represents a new phone, and it's supposed to be the flag ship. When iPhone 4S is already out in stores, and the Nexus Prime isn't even released yet, I do believe that it would be a disappointment if it shouldn't have as good GPU as the iPhone 4s.

I will also use the phone for two years, and as a developed that likes to play around with graphics, it's good for me to use a phone that I can be happy with for as long a time as possible.

The Nexus Prime *is* my next phone, regardless of the specs, because I need a state of the art OS at all times and a Nexus is the only real way to do this.

The Nexus One was the best phone in the world when it came out, at least spec-wise. The Nexus S not so much. I'm hoping that Nexus Prime will reclaim the throne in the market. At least for a little while :)

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not complaining about the CPU, or the camera. I'm just raising the question if the SGX 540 is a viable GPU, or if there is a possibility of having the 543 in there. I realize that the 540 is probably going to serve me well, but with very nice hardware comes very nice games and stuff. The GPU is also responsible for rendering the web browser and the home screen. Having seen the sluggish Honeycomb-devices, I'd opt for a better GPU if I could.

Samsung produces the A5, if I'm not mistaken, but I believe Apple pays old Sammy well for the exclusive right to do so for a while.

As far as the A5 goes, it is designed by Apple and fabricated using TSMC's 28nm process, Samsung has nothing to do with it (Samsung's foundries do however fabricate the A4, but have no claim to the design).

Going back to the nexus, sadly there is pretty much no hope of getting the 543, since besides the A5 no SoCs currently in production use this gpu. However the overclocked 540 in the omap should still be significantly better than the mobile Geforce in the tegra 2 (although Nvidia is great in the desktop gpu space their mobile gpu's suck) so hardware acceleration should be better.

sblantipodi

Banned
Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
As a user I say that 5MP camera don't makes a bad camera, but I hope that this 5MP will make so great shots.
As a user I say that SGX540 is quite old and for a 600? phone I have preferred some new beast like the one used in iPhone4S.
As a developer I say that a developer phone that lacks microSD slot is really really disappointing.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

How are you saying that no other phone has better specs? The current exynos processor powered phones have a better gpu, the galaxy SII's camera is already very very good so it might be a wash on that front. I'm still pretty certain that the samsung exyno's phones running vanilla ICS will perform better than the nexus galaxy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech