Samsung Note 3 old phone with battery charging problem after seeing the

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi guys please help! My phone is a Samsung Note 3 a 4-5 years old phone with multiple batteries changed in the past. The phone is not rooted and I do not have too many fancy apps installed. I charged my phone without problem for years until 2-3 days ago. I got a pop up message saying I must install "Samsung Power Sharing" apps in order to control the power sharing flow. Simultaneously, the top bar says my docket is connected when I did absolutely nothing nor connecting my phone to anything. The phone calendar pops up and my phone plays a random audio clip but at the same time it changed my audio setting to vibration(silent). I thought I was hacked and I shut my phone off immediately. I switched it on later only to find out the pop up came back again.

Then the problems:
1> I then installed the Samsung power sharing apps and "force stop" it. The pop up died but then I have battery charging issue.
2> I plugged the cable in while the phone is on (also tried in safe mode) but the phone is not charging immediately. The power is not going down but it is not going up either. After around 2-3 minutes, it then starts charging. After a short while, the battery icon shows it stuck at a certain percentage level and it is in the status of not going up nor down. Then a while later, it charges again.
3> I powered off my phone and do the charging. First, the grey battery icon with the thunder sign will show up (indicating 0%). It does not indicate that my battery is charging but that icon remains on screen for around 5-15 seconds before it disappears. After say 5-15 seconds, this very same icon came back and last for another 5-15 seconds. Then the same cycle repeats. If I leave the cycle to repeat itself for around 10 minutes, and power my phone back on, I can see the battery level has gone up which means it was charging.
4> After charging for a while with my phone powered on, I unplugged my cable. But somehow the phone still thinks I am charging. The battery icon at the top right hand corner will show the thunder charging sign for 2-5 seconds indicating I am plugged, then disappear realizing that I am actually unplug. After 2-5 seconds, the phone will show the charging status again and drop the status after 2-5 seconds again. In order to make my phone realize I am actually not charging, I restart my phone and this cycle then stopped.

What I tried:
1> Used different cables, adapters, batteries and wall plug points
2> took the battery out and press and hold the power button for 30/60/120 seconds and charge again
3> install, uninstall and force stop "power sharing" apps. I can't open the apps because it requires me to have a power sharing cable plugged first.
4> clean the charge port
5> smack the power button softly
6> reboot the phone, power on in safe mode and clean the cache partition
7> ran some virus scans
8> write this question

What I have not tried:
1> smack this on a samsung sales person's head
2> try different phone

I do and still suspect that this may be a software issue because the lag in charging and the repetitions seem to be happen at a fairly constant interval. Then it might mean the Power sharing apps was the issue (which I had uninstalled before). Otherwise, what else should I or could I try from the hardware side.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Two possibilities - corrupt firmware or a bad charging port. (The dock showing connected when it's not happens if there's a short - or conductive dirt - in the port. Try blowing it out. With canned air, not a compressor.)

I still have 2 working Note 3s - nothing about installing "Samsung Power Sharing". So if I were you I'd try blowing out the port then, if it still didn't work, backing everything up (see Backing up an Android Device) and reflashing the ROM (see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN). Then see if it charges normally. (I'd also consider a new battery. You can get one for less than $10 on Amazon.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87