Samsung Note 5 suddenly stopped booting up and in recovery mode has dm-verity and failed to mount

haloking

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
so all of sudden when I was trying to use my note 5 (unroot), I noticed that it was powered off and I couldn't power it on with power button. Can you please tell me if there is a way I can recover data on my phone without losing them? I also have Google Authenticator which is connected to many accounts online, If I lose data I will lose everything! Here is what I tried so far:

First thing I did was a soft reset ( power button + volume down) and the mobile turned on but unfortunately it kept looping on the Samsung logo screen. Then I tried to go to recovery mode (power button + home button + volume up) and from there I tried "reboot system now", "wiping cache partition (which I hope it doesn't remove any data?)" and "Run graphics test: which failed with error no command and then wiping cached data" all of them without success. One thing I noticed in the bottom section of recovery mode there are these errors:

No Support SINGLE-SKU

Supported API: 3

dm-verity error...

E: failed to mount / system (Invalid argument)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

Wipe cache wont delete your data , only thing you can do since it boot loop is try factory reset in recovery or go into download mode and flash the firmware with odin . If your trying to save data, you should have been backing up using cloud service,Smart switch on pc, important stuff needs to be backed up couple different places .

haloking

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
So it's not possible to recover the data without formatting\factory resetting it? There isn't a way to fix this without loosing data? Can I only flash system partition without removing data?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So it's not possible to recover the data without formatting\factory resetting it? There isn't a way to fix this without loosing data? Can I only flash system partition without removing data?
At this point no , you can try when flashing with odin to use home csc in csc slot but i know this works for newer Samsung not sure it will work for note 5 , its a gamble .

haloking

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
At this point no , you can try when flashing with odin to use home csc in csc slot but i know this works for newer Samsung not sure it will work for note 5 , its a gamble .

You mean if I try flashing it using odin and use "home" in csc slot and if it didn't work, it might wipe my data? This is what you mean by gamble? I've also been told that it could be due to eMMC failure and if I disassemble device and fix it the device might run temporary. I'm trying to figure out which is safer to do first?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You mean if I try flashing it using odin and use "home" in csc slot and if it didn't work, it might wipe my data? This is what you mean by gamble? I've also been told that it could be due to eMMC failure and if I disassemble device and fix it the device might run temporary. I'm trying to figure out which is safer to do first?
Yeah there are 4 slots you flash the firmware , you use home csc in slot csc but its a gamble. For eMMc failure you would most likely motherboard replacement which would wipe the device also

haloking

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
Yeah there are 4 slots you flash the firmware , you use home csc in slot csc but its a gamble. For eMMc failure you would most likely motherboard replacement which would wipe the device also

So I downloaded the firmware but it's only one big file with(md5) extension, how can I flash it with home csc?

Regarding eMMC someone suggested that it can be done by wedging a small piece of cardboard between the board and frame and the device might boot. What do you think?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So I downloaded the firmware but it's only one big file with(md5) extension, how can I flash it with home csc?

Regarding eMMC someone suggested that it can be done by wedging a small piece of cardboard between the board and frame and the device might boot. What do you think?
You have to extract the zip and you will see like 5 files in it , i have no experience with phone repairs like that, i have open my own phones in past replace battery,charger ports but dont mean im professional at it , i wouldn't recommend you doing it unless your familar with taking them apart.

haloking

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
You have to extract the zip and you will see like 5 files in it , i have no experience with phone repairs like that, i have open my own phones in past replace battery,charger ports but dont mean im professional at it , i wouldn't recommend you doing it unless your familar with taking them apart.

thanks for the swift reply. It seems like the zip file only contains one big file with md5 extension, what I did was I changed it's extension to zip and was able to view files inside. But, they're more than 5 files and aren't the (BL,AP,CP ...etc) files?

scs.png

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
thanks for the swift reply. It seems like the zip file only contains one big file with md5 extension, what I did was I changed it's extension to zip and was able to view files inside. But, they're more than 5 files and aren't the (BL,AP,CP ...etc) files?

View attachment 340059
No problem
Where did you download the file from?
You use a program like 7zip to extract?

haloking

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
weird, so does this mean I downloaded incomplete firmware? The tool is designed to grab firmware from Samsung servers, it was suppose to download it directly from there. Should I download it from somewhere else?

When I enter download mode, I have FRP Lock : ON, does this mean my data is already removed?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
weird, so does this mean I downloaded incomplete firmware? The tool is designed to grab firmware from Samsung servers, it was suppose to download it directly from there. Should I download it from somewhere else?

When I enter download mode, I have FRP Lock : ON, does this mean my data is already removed?
Frija is where i download my firmwares, something your missing when you extract the zip file , can you explain step by step how your doing it?

haloking

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
I simply put my phone model SM-N920C in mobile model box, my country code in CSC box and ticked the auto box and clicked download. The firmw was downloaded and automatically decrypted. I extracted the file and it had only one file ending with ".._HOME.tar.md5" I added ".zip" to the end of the file and the pic above was what I got inside :\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie