Samsung Prevail double lock on calls

mil_prevail

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I just got this phone and it looks like it has a major issue (unless there is a setting to control this).

Anytime you make a call, even to your voice mail, the phone immediately double locks (?!) itself. This means that a lock shows up on the screen and you have to push the button on top and after that use the standard unlocking (with the slide). Same when you receive incoming calls - instead of using the slide only to start the conversation you have to push the button on the top as well ?! This is so frustrating, my old iPhone 3GS doesn't do this (not even a single lock). Can you imagine this - just preparing to use the dialpad and suddenly the phone is locked (twice). I thought it might be Android or Samsung feature and asked my friends about it and nobody knew anything about it.

Probably somebody already figured out how to get rid of this unwanted lock, hopefully there is simple solution. Otherwise the phone is decent for the low price plan of Boost.

Thanks for your help

rangerdanger

May 27, 2011
Visit site
NoLock

I just bought the Prevail yesterday and am already sick and tired of the double lock situation. Just trying to call my voice mail to set it up and trying to unlock it and bring up the dial pad just so I could type in my pass code took too long to figure out and the call was stopped (waiting for me to enter my pass code). I can't imagine what they thought they'd accomplish with having 2 or 3 things you have to do just to get to the stupid dial pad during a call. Lock the screen when it gets near my face to avoid accidental entries but just push the button on top to get back to the screen I LEFT it on, which is the dial pad, would be ideal. This sliding to answer and hang up a call is ridiculous. I downloaded and tried the "NoLock" free app from marketplace but apparently, as I've read elsewhere, it doesn't work on the Prevail - great on other phones but not the Prevail. There appears to be no way to shut it off or override it for now, and since I'm on Boost and don't want to enter into a contract, I'll wait until somebody somewhere does something about it. Will post back as soon as I find anything.
I should say, though, other than that issue I have no problems with the phone so far - good price, GREAT no-contract monthly price with unlimited everything from Boost - something AT&T can't seem to accomplish any more. Cell phones and internet should not be so hard to attain and pay for these days.

mojosingle

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Double lock?

I just bought the Prevail yesterday and am already sick and tired of the double lock situation. Just trying to call my voice mail to set it up and trying to unlock it and bring up the dial pad just so I could type in my pass code took too long to figure out and the call was stopped (waiting for me to enter my pass code). I can't imagine what they thought they'd accomplish with having 2 or 3 things you have to do just to get to the stupid dial pad during a call. Lock the screen when it gets near my face to avoid accidental entries but just push the button on top to get back to the screen I LEFT it on, which is the dial pad, would be ideal. This sliding to answer and hang up a call is ridiculous. I downloaded and tried the "NoLock" free app from marketplace but apparently, as I've read elsewhere, it doesn't work on the Prevail - great on other phones but not the Prevail. There appears to be no way to shut it off or override it for now, and since I'm on Boost and don't want to enter into a contract, I'll wait until somebody somewhere does something about it. Will post back as soon as I find anything.
I should say, though, other than that issue I have no problems with the phone so far - good price, GREAT no-contract monthly price with unlimited everything from Boost - something AT&T can't seem to accomplish any more. Cell phones and internet should not be so hard to attain and pay for these days.
Hmmmm, being a newbie at these phones I really don't understand what you guys mean about this. Is there any video on YouTube that shows an example of this? I have checked but I don't see one as of yet. Can somebody post something or direct me to a vid that displays this problem? Thanks all. I am looking forward to getting an affordable phone. Just don't want an issue to be to major if this is so. PS: what if you do not put a password on your phone (if that is possible?) would that eliminate at least one of the "locks"?

rangerdanger

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'll make a video if I can but I'm pressed for time so may not be able to. When you dial a call and put the phone to your ear the screen immediately goes black. If you're making a call that requires you to say, "press 1 for English", in order to get to the dial pad you first have to press the power button on the top of the phone which brings up another screen where you have to slide to unlock the screen in order to bring up the dial pad. HOWEVER, I just tried to dial out and then bring up the dial pad to be sure of the sequence but NOW when I press the power button on top it disconnects the call. I now find no way to unlock the screen in order to get to the dial pad. I will be calling Samsung tomorrow to find out what's up with that and let you know. Also, another issue I'm having is that there is no way to end a program or the browser. There is no close button, no "x", no command in the menu option. I either hit the "home" button or the "back" button but then, most of the time but not always, I have to go into the task manager to end the program which is VERY annoying.

rangerdanger

May 27, 2011
Visit site
dont have an answer when answering, but to hang up, go to settings-accessibility and check hang up by power button

@partsman; this post didn't show up when I posted the reply about the power button now hanging the phone up instead of unlocking the screen. I did not change or set that option, unless there is an app that would have done that for some reason, but I checked and it IS checked to hang up the phone when hitting the power button. I unchecked it and now there is just the ONE lock after initiating a call. I start the call, the screen goes black, I hit the power button which brings up a screen where I can either slide-to-hang-up or slide up the dial pad. Still a hassle but not nearly what it was when I first used the phone. And I'd still buy it, for the money it's a good solid phone with better call quality than my 2 year old Tilt phone, and of course the fantastic unlimited plan for $50 a month.

rangerdanger

May 27, 2011
Visit site
and I guess you really shouldn't checkmark the option to hang up when you hit the power button because if you ever have to use the dial pad during a call you won't be able to unlock the screen to use it since the power button is what unlocks it.

lance1955

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Yep, ditto here. My wife has this phone. Overall love the phone. Hate the double lock sheit. But will have to wait for a hack or app to by pass this carpola. Its annoying as all can get out. But then again its prepaid so we just live with it. Thats the #1 drawback to this phone. Lock, Lock, double lock. It like fort knocks to open the phone in an "in call" but after a while you get use to it. Just super annoying.

mojosingle

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
When you dial a call and put the phone to your ear the screen immediately goes black. If you're making a call that requires you to say, "press 1 for English", in order to get to the dial pad you first have to press the power button on the top of the phone which brings up another screen where you have to slide to unlock the screen in order to bring up the dial pad. HOWEVER, I just tried to dial out and then bring up the dial pad to be sure of the sequence but NOW when I press the power button on top it disconnects the call. I now find no way to unlock the screen in order to get to the dial pad.
1. To avoid the phone 'blacking out'
when you raise the phone to your ear, what if you use the speaker phone option (is there a speaker phone option for this phone?) I think I do 75% of my calls using the speaker phone anyway. Would doing this eliminate one of the lock down issues?

2. When in a call (assuming that I am using the speaker phone) what default screen is displayed? Would that screen still show the android o/s standard button that allows direct access to the dialpad?

LELEE

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
It was hard for me at first but here's the key go to settings then accessibility... then there is a option power button ends call....UNCHECK .......promblem solved

LELEE

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
uncheck power button under accessibility

phiyber

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Someone Please FIX double-lock

I just want to clarify this "Double Lock" issue. Turning off the ?end call with? feature is NOT a fix!

THE PROBLEM:
-When you make a call, the phone locks, not allowing you to dial with your face during a call.
-Also, you can lock your phone so that you don't butt-dial people or have personal info available.

These features should* be able to work at the same time, right?
When ending a call (which happens a lot with a phone), you must first unlock the phone from the call lock by pressing the power button, then, if the phone isn't sluggish or locked (happened to me 3 times now), you have to slide the red, end call button. This sucks, so there is the accessibility feature "end call with power button."

HOWEVER, now that the power button ends the call first, you can't use it to access your dial pad next to the red, end call button. If you need to get though an automated system of any kind, you're screwed. So the solution is apparently to turn off the feature. Garbage! Not having this feature is annoying. As I said, it takes more time and the phone locks at the end of calls sometimes. Using speaker phone or just dealing with it by turning the option on and off all the time is not something I should have to do!

THE SOLUTION?:
I'm no phone programmer, but a seemingly easy fix to this would be to add an accessibility feature
"end call with camera button."
First, the camera button doesn't do anything during a call anyway.
Second, can that really be hard to add as an update?
I don't need and never use the crappy camera anyway, so I'm not worried about wearing out the button. I am however worried about wearing out the power button!

Someone help! Can this be fixed without an update? Is it possible thatthe phone has the functionality I'm looking for, but don't realize it? How can we contact samsung/boost to get this resolved?

Also, what cardsbytootsie said about ending programs?..

mitch10s

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My "settings", "accessibility" has nothing in it, all it does is offer a screen reader, which I do NOT want. Somehow, my Prevail is set to hang up with power button, because if I try to get voicemail, without using speakerphone, and broadcasting my messages to everyone, the screen locks before I can press '1' to hear voicemail, or rather, before I can slide the dialpad open, and hitting power hangs up the call. VERY frustrating, and I'm really disappointed with the Prevail's developer...what the H*LL where they thinking...or not thinking!

lance1955

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I wish SOMEONE could or know a work around with this what were they thinking lock screen. As phiyber posted. You get use to it after a while, but man its pretty dang gone annoying. Anyone with a work around?
Anything like nolock app does NOT solve this problem. The lock is present as you know when your actually on a call. The lovely padlock File this one under "what were they thinking?"

LisaG123

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
@partsman; this post didn't show up when I posted the reply about the power button now hanging the phone up instead of unlocking the screen. I did not change or set that option, unless there is an app that would have done that for some reason, but I checked and it IS checked to hang up the phone when hitting the power button. I unchecked it and now there is just the ONE lock after initiating a call. I start the call, the screen goes black, I hit the power button which brings up a screen where I can either slide-to-hang-up or slide up the dial pad. Still a hassle but not nearly what it was when I first used the phone. And I'd still buy it, for the money it's a good solid phone with better call quality than my 2 year old Tilt phone, and of course the fantastic unlimited plan for $50 a month.
HELP PLEASE. My phone locks seconds after I make a call and the screen says "Press the Lock Key to Unlock". OK - except I cannot find a "Lock" key. If I press the power button, it disconnects my call. I cannot do a phone menu, I cannot turn my speaker phone on, I can't do anything without it hanging up. I read a comment here that I should go to "settings", "accesiblity" and change the settings for the power key - but when I go to "accessibility" there are not menus there - just a message saying that no accessibility features are installed on my phone. Can anyone help? I'm ready to throw it at the wall. :mad: Thanks, Lisa

LisaG123

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
"It is clicked" where??? I am having the same issue but can't find the options in settings. My phone has had the power button set to disconnect calls since I got it. One time it did not do it but I am unable to get the power button to do it again - to just unlock the touch screen without disconnecting. Where are the settings for this?

rangerdanger

May 27, 2011
Visit site
When you go to menu, settings, accessibility, it will come up with a box telling you "no accessibility related applications found......(bunch of other stuff it says, too). It gives you the option to click "ok" or "cancel". Clicking "ok" will install a screen reader". You want to click "cancel" which will get rid of that box and then you SHOULD see "power button ends call" written on the screen which has a checkmark to the right of it, and your checkmark will be green. Tap the green checkmark to uncheck it and it should make it so pressing the power button does not end the call any more, and thereby ending the issue you're having.

averygarrett

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
When you unclick the check mark under accessibility, it doesn't hang up the call anymore when you click the unclock button. OK... I want it so the phone doesn't lock when you make a call in the first place. Does anyone know how to do this? If you tell me to click the same check mark under accessibility, I might start drinking again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174