Sense reboots

tsak6789

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I know I'm not the only one having this issue. And up until an hour ago I thought it was just the Evo 4G. But a coworker has the same problem on her Shift.
Is HTC addressing this? Its making me miss my Pre!

tsak6789

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm bumping this because it's getting worse. I plan on going to Sprint on tuesday and demand something be done.
I'm constantly defending Droid to my Apple friends, but it's getting harder to do when crap like this happens. I'm sure it's a problem on HTC's end, not Droid but still...

tsak6789

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Turn off/Disable (uncheck) Fast Boot in settings. Then do a Restart/Reboot.

Settings---->Applications----->Fast Boot (Uncheck). Restart/Reboot.

Report back to us.

Well its been about 24 hours, and the reboots have been few, and far between.
It still happens with a few apps like Cut the rope, angry birds, and plants vs zombies. And only a few times after web browsing.
Its a hell of a lot better than before though. At least now I can send a txt without having my phone reset.
Thanks Gekko!

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just experienced this on my wifes Evo Shift(so it isn't justbour EVO's). Something with the gingerbread update and sense isn't playing nice.

I get the damn white screen and green HTC logo a lot exiting from the web browser.
Un check fast boot. Restart... Still does it.

ICU812

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the reboots now too after the new update to GB. Mine, as far as I can tell, mainly occur when using the camera and web browsing. I have even noticed while reading a book I can hear the phone reboot, vibrating upon start-up, while on my night stand beside my bed. Before the update I had no problems and I've had this EVO since launch day. No new apps either so I know that's not the problem. :confused:

papachan

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I still get reboots after camera/camcorder use (and on some of the games like Cut the Rope).
I also noticed that the brightness is at 100% (normally I use a less %).
The only time the % jumps that high is when I'm using the camera...
I guess it's caught in that mode right before rebooting...
ANNOYING, all these reboots...

tsak6789

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Went to Sprint yesterday, and they did a "hard reset" or whatever.
Not only did I lose all my progress on Angry Birds, but the phone has rebooted twice. It's still better than before I turned off the Fast Boot.
I think I'm going to get the 3D anyway.

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The "HTC - Loading" stopped for me after turning off Fast Boot and restarting <knock on wood>.

Spoke too soon. They started up again last evening and I've had four restarts since. :mad: My replacement EVO (dead USB charging port) arrives either tomorrow or Monday. Hopefully that one won't have the problem...

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
are you sure it's not a rouge app or setting? did you try a factory erase wipe first? i'd replace the phone as a last resort.

tsak6789

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
are you sure it's not a rouge app or setting? did you try a factory erase wipe first? i'd replace the phone as a last resort.

It's happening on too many phones for it to be a rouge app. I did a factory reset on my Evo, and it still happened a few times.
My friend with an Evo Shift has it happening all the time.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
It's happening on too many phones for it to be a rouge app. I did a factory reset on my Evo, and it still happened a few times.
My friend with an Evo Shift has it happening all the time.

disagree. it's happening on a minority of phones which leads me to believe it's user error.

JonRuh

May 28, 2010
Visit site
disagree. it's happening on a minority of phones which leads me to believe it's user error.
I doubt its a user error the same thing has been happening to me ever since the 2.3 update and ive been using my phone the exact same as i was on 2.2

tsak6789

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Even the people at Sprint told me they've had a lot of complaints about it. I'm sure it's not everyone, but I haven't done anything differently since before the GB update.

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is not user error.

These reboot have me really thinking of finally taking the plunge it rooting.
Maybe try just a plain vanilla gingerbread rom.

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I know 5 people who got shift, 3d evos etc and its happening on all of them. Its seems to me like a big issue and no way user error.

Last edited:

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I know 5 people who got shift, 3d evos etc and its happening on all of them. Its seems to me like a big issue and no way user error.
is your device actually restarting or is it simply the Sense launcher. I remember when ever I used something that was pretty intensive memory wise (or at least I thought it to be) when going back to the home screen you would get the htc sense screen (just like a reboot) but it was very quick because it was just the launcher and not the actual phone restarting.

If that's the case, and this is just my opinion, it sounds like your phone is running low on memory and putting the launcher at a lower priority over other things (it needs to kill something to free up memory).

Even now, after I rooted my phone and running launcher pro, I still have that same issue where the launcher restarts although if you keep your launcher cleaned up I find that it restarts more quickly and less often.

I would try a different launcher if this is the case or maybe remove some of the things on your home screen. I'd imagine that if you have a lot of widgets and so on running on your home screen it is going to use a lot more memory.

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I thought it was a memory issue but after a reset and fresh phone and no difference and then all the folks having the same issue I realized its not my Phone..