Serious Considering ZFlip3

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the S21 plus and I'm overall very happy with it. My one point of annoyance is the overall size. I carry my phone in my shirt breast pocket if out and in my t shirt pocket around our place.

Because of the size of the phone I have almost had it fall out of my pocket a number of times including a close call in the bathroom ( use your imagination).

The one deal that has kept me from making the jump is battery life. I am a heavy user, but I also have chargers everywhere, table, car etc. I stopped by TMO a little bit ago but their model is secured and locked down. No way to get a real feel for holding or pocketing the phone, plus it's running in demo mode which is absolutely useless.

I just want to make a decision tonight as a go or no go. Would appreciate hearing from others who came from the S21 plus or similar size and powered phones with how you're really getting along with your flip3 now that you've had it a bit.

jmartin

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My wife went from a standard S20 to the Flip 3. She is on the phone a few hours a day for work. That plus email, texting etc. she ends the day with ~20% charge where her S20 would have had closer to ~40% remaining with same usage. In one out of the ordinary day she got down to 1% remaining. She now has wireless chargers at all of her office locations. If your screen on time is 4 plus hours, you will likely need to top off the charge during the day.

As a side note for fitting in a breast pocket, with the silicone case that may be a challenge due to thickness depending on brand. In the end she loves the phone and gets plenty of compliments.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have the S21 plus and I'm overall very happy with it. My one point of annoyance is the overall size. I carry my phone in my shirt breast pocket if out and in my t shirt pocket around our place.

Because of the size of the phone I have almost had it fall out of my pocket a number of times including a close call in the bathroom ( use your imagination).

The one deal that has kept me from making the jump is battery life. I am a heavy user, but I also have chargers everywhere, table, car etc. I stopped by TMO a little bit ago but their model is secured and locked down. No way to get a real feel for holding or pocketing the phone, plus it's running in demo mode which is absolutely useless.

I just want to make a decision tonight as a go or no go. Would appreciate hearing from others who came from the S21 plus or similar size and powered phones with how you're really getting along with your flip3 now that you've had it a bit.

The Flip3 is a nice phone. Its party trick is that it Flips closed. To gain access to that party trick, though, you have to make some sacrifices. Its smaller-than-most battery is going to likely have you charging it more often, so its battery will likely wear out sooner and you may need to replace the battery sooner than say…an S21+. Not too many seem to care about that though so….

Also, the flipping that you do to use the phone can be cool and it can also…get old. That depends on you.

The Flip3 is an impressive phone but as an only device? Not sure its the best choice for any heavy user.

Now, if you are a light user and don’t need to take your phone in questionable environments? The Flip3 can DO that.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The small battery makes a poor choice for a heavy user. I'd look elsewhere. That said, the compactness of it is absolutely terrific.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site

I am a heavy user as well and switched from the N20U. Easy solution....use a power bank with QC and PD. With long screen time I'm about 65% battery left around 3pmish. With my power bank I can recharge back up to 100% on about 35min and I'm good till I go to bed around 1145pm.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Note 10+ and an LG V60, both are large phones. I love my Flip and so far have no qualms over switching.

I definitely agree battery life is not the best and heavy users wouldn't be happy with it. I'm not a heavy user so although a bit on the annoying side to have to charge the battery it's not a deal breaker for me. I have a wireless charger on my desk and just keep the phone on it when not in use. I plug it in overnight as well. I still have to recharge during the day and would prefer not to have to but again - not that big a deal for me. I'm guessing Flip 4 will have a better battery.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I think what I forget is that batteries CAN be replaced. The ZFlip³ is a really neat device. I amostly happy with what Samsung did this year and still love my Fold³s

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I started this thread and it's time to put in my 2¢.

I've had the Flip3 since October 1 but I wanted to give it a good and fair tryout before coming to a decision.

The crease in the middle of the screen was annoying but has settled in as just a very mild annoyance. The size folded up is great and a feature that is all it's touted to be. The battery is a major PITA but I've been living with it.

Here is my major problem. Been doing a lot of reading on the Samsung Members app and some basic research and I'm highly disturbed by one very major issue. There have been a number of reports of the screen cracking and tearing on the fold. Here is the issue, Samsung is giving people with this problem the run around, saying it's not covered by warranty and the growing number of Flip3 owners encountering this issue are just plain SOL.

I kept my S21 plus so I think I'm going be switching back over to that phone either tomorrow or Friday and I'll be selling this Flip3. The combination of the terrible battery and possibility of screen fold damage is just more than I want to deal with. It's a shame because I really like this device, the size of the folded phone is so ideal for that I was willing to live with a crap battery, but add in the higher risk of screen damage and I think I just want to go back to by 21 plus.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I started this thread and it's time to put in my 2¢.

I've had the Flip3 since October 1 but I wanted to give it a good and fair tryout before coming to a decision.

The crease in the middle of the screen was annoying but has settled in as just a very mild annoyance. The size folded up is great and a feature that is all it's touted to be. The battery is a major PITA but I've been living with it.

Here is my major problem. Been doing a lot of reading on the Samsung Members app and some basic research and I'm highly disturbed by one very major issue. There have been a number of reports of the screen cracking and tearing on the fold. Here is the issue, Samsung is giving people with this problem the run around, saying it's not covered by warranty and the growing number of Flip3 owners encountering this issue are just plain SOL.

I kept my S21 plus so I think I'm going be switching back over to that phone either tomorrow or Friday and I'll be selling this Flip3. The combination of the terrible battery and possibility of screen fold damage is just more than I want to deal with. It's a shame because I really like this device, the size of the folded phone is so ideal for that I was willing to live with a crap battery, but add in the higher risk of screen damage and I think I just want to go back to by 21 plus.
Do what you feel is best

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Do what you feel is best
Agreed. No one's experience is going to ruin the great time I've been having with the flip 3. Not saying I'm different from those that are going through issues with screen. Guess I'll cross that bridge if it ever comes to that. Remember there are 2 sometimes 3 sides to every story. We don't know what's truly going on but I do know what I'm experiencing and that's just not so great battery. Other than that I'm very pleased with my flip 3.

Last edited:

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Iam not a heavy user so the battery did last most of the day for me. However there is more and more talk about the screen issues across the forums. So for now its back in my drawer opened (unfolded) and protected. I guess I just figured it was time to bring back out the 8/256 S10E. Honestly after all the folding and unfolding the S10E feels kind of sweet again. Probably wont play with the z flip again until after the harsh winter except maybe sitting on the couch in front of that warm fireplace.

Russel Shouse

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
i got mine on oct12th. the battery is ok as long as you don't mind knocking the refresh rate on the screen from 120mhz back down to 60mhz. i care nothing about running the screen at 120mhz, so that alone saves a lot of battery.
i have always been careful w my phones and this one is no exception.
i have verizon and i carry the insurance in case there is a problem.. so i still won't have to deal straight w samsung.

i enjoy the phone, and flipping it closed it will fit in my shirt pocket or pants pockets w ease. yes it's thicker when closed but losing the height makes it much easier to carry.

i miss the hr sensor, and of course my s pen, but i wanted a flip 3 so it was worth it.

i also have chargers around me, and on a busy day I'll top it off, but i did that w my notes too.

I'm happy w the phone, no issues thus far, i think if you're willing to make a couple small sacrifices the phone is very enjoyable and it's still running flagship hardware, so it is very much a smart phone still.