Settings has Stopped error for sound notifications

pakle

May 3, 2018
Visit site
I got the BLU Vivo XL3 last month running Android 8.0 Oreo out of the box. I installed Zedge to change my default notification sound and default alarm sounds. Due to the known problem of double notification sounds on Oreo (e.g. one email will arrive and I'll hear 2 email notification sounds), I installed Lightflow to get around the double notification sounds and customize the sounds for apps that were using the default sound.

I think one or both of these apps Zedge & Lightflow messed up my sound settings. Not only do I get no sound notifications at all for any of my apps after working fine for just 3 days, but when I open and try to choose a different Sound settings for a couple of my apps (Messages for text messages and Twitter sounds), I get Settings has Stopped, Open app again. So I know my Sound Settings has been messed up, and it seems to only affect those apps that use that specific Sound Settings page. For example, I can still access my Yahoo mail sound settings because it's in the Yahoo mail app itself and not using the Sound Settings page. I hope that makes sense.

I have uninstalled both Zedge & Lightflow, cleared the data & cache for Settings app, even taken out the SD card, started the phone in Safe Mode, restarted the phone after every single action. Still get Settings has Stopped on those 2 apps.

Any ideas on what else to try or is total factory reset the only option if I want to be able access the Sounds Settings page for those 2 apps, which are currently stuck on No Sound. I can even live with the double notification sounds at this point if I can just get it back for those apps.

See attached for screenshot of the Settings has Stopped on my Messages app.
Screenshot_20180508-101121.jpg

Last edited:

pakle

May 3, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion and the guide on how to wipe the cache partition. I just tried, and unfortunately it did not fix the problem.

Any other suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. If the problem is still happening in Safe Mode, then you may have to go with your last resort, the factory reset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali