Share your S10e first impressions

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I decided to pick one up on Sunday as a smaller alternative to my S10 plus which has been bugging me with manageability and accidental touches/palm rejection. It was not just the size but the flat screen. As a lefty I did have some concern about the FPS placement but decided to take a punt.

Cutting to the chase I love the size, I can walk and use this thing at the same time without fear of it flying out of hand at any moment. The screen is nice and the it feels every bit as fast the plus.

I am really struggling to get past the FPS though and the face unlock seems slower and less reliable than the plus. As a lefty I have to adjust every time I want to use the FPS and my index finger does not wrap round and cover it as I'd hoped, to be honest it is still a stretch using it right handed as it does not fall where my thumb would naturally be. The easiest method I have found so far is to pick it up and unlock with my left thumb before then flipping it to use.

If they had put the FPS in a better place I'd be very happy but like the S8 before I get the sense this is something that will bug me every time I use it so I think I am going to return it. As an aside the S9 feels very similar in size and closer to the 10e than the regular 10, so maybe those looking for smaller phone would do well with an S9?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I decided to pick one up on Sunday as a smaller alternative to my S10 plus which has been bugging me with manageability and accidental touches/palm rejection. It was not just the size but the flat screen. As a lefty I did have some concern about the FPS placement but decided to take a punt.

Cutting to the chase I love the size, I can walk and use this thing at the same time without fear of it flying out of hand at any moment. The screen is nice and the it feels every bit as fast the plus.

I am really struggling to get past the FPS though and the face unlock seems slower and less reliable than the plus. As a lefty I have to adjust every time I want to use the FPS and my index finger does not wrap round and cover it as I'd hoped, to be honest it is still a stretch using it right handed as it does not fall where my thumb would naturally be. The easiest method I have found so far is to pick it up and unlock with my left thumb before then flipping it to use.

If they had put the FPS in a better place I'd be very happy but like the S8 before I get the sense this is something that will bug me every time I use it so I think I am going to return it. As an aside the S9 feels very similar in size and closer to the 10e than the regular 10, so maybe those looking for smaller phone would do well with an S9?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and impressions! I use my phone with my left hand and I get how you feel about the FPS. I would suggest using your middle finger instead of the index. Don't delete the index print but I have way better success with the middle finger.

I had a S9 for a second and those edges was a no for me. Do what works best for you but please at least try a different finger before returning it.

blazers88

May 9, 2019
Visit site
Just played with it at the AT&T store. One thing I noticed right off the bat, the white is more of a cream then an actual white (kind of annoying) unless you raise your brightness to max, but it’ll eat battery.

Rose_vietnam

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site
Got mine yesterday and set it all up last night. Great little phone with rocket speed!

FP sensor is a lot better than I was thinking it was gonna be. Perfect size, dual speakers, awesome screen and great call quality.

It also seems to handle group text messages better than o remember my past Androids?

Yeah call quality is good. I have no idea why people on samsung community complain about audio and sound, and call quality as well, perhaps its a problem with their mobile service. Today I tried viber video calling and its really good, better than my colleague's iphone X. Wow!

ILUMINATIUNDEAD

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Must say I'm over the moon! Samsung has outdone themselves. I used to own the galaxy s back in like 2012 and swore I hated Samsung hardware and everything. Then went BlackBerry for awhile again , then finally switched to iPhone 6s/7s for a few years meh I thought. I was longing for an android again recently and even though I swore I hated Samsung, I have heard a lot has changed so I decided to pick one up today especially for the value. Oh my God I don't know why I haven't gotten this sooner. Ok this thing is light years ahead of apple , I feel cheated lol. Everything I hated about the previous Samsung, gone. No longer do I have an ugly os and hardware. Not to mention I am an experienced phone user from over the years (I used to root too) .. just using this phone today has caused such overwhelming feelings with all the new features!! I felt like the first time I owned a smart phone years ago it really is that good to me so that's definitely saying something. Android has come a long way since and I can definitely tell you that apple is quickly becoming the new BlackBerry [no offence bb!] Compared to Samsung now. Android is definitely where it's at.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The gestures are no different than having a navigation bar, though, except you have to move your thumb further then you swipe instead of just tapping. You're actually doing more than you would with standard navigation for an insignificant amount of added screen.

With gestures I have far less instances of accidental touches, going back when I didn't intend to. That alone makes it worth it.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
With gestures I have far less instances of accidental touches, going back when I didn't intend to. That alone makes it worth it.
In the entire time I've used Android and have had on screen navigation, I have never experienced an accidental touch of the navigation bar. My thumb has no business being on that part of my screen unless I'm intentionally using ghr navigation. Even when using a keyboard and typing, I've never accidentally over extended my thumb when reaching for the space bar.

And I'm not saying that proper gestures aren't a good thing. I'm saying that gestures as implemented by Samsung aren't intuitive or efficient. It literally requires more effort out of the user and, unless someone has your unique problem, it doesn't actually offer any benefit. Sure, you can say you get more screen, but who honestly even looks at the space near the navigation or status bars on their phone during regular use and interaction within apps?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
In the entire time I've used Android and have had on screen navigation, I have never experienced an accidental touch of the navigation bar. My thumb has no business being on that part of my screen unless I'm intentionally using ghr navigation. Even when using a keyboard and typing, I've never accidentally over extended my thumb when reaching for the space bar.

And I'm not saying that proper gestures aren't a good thing. I'm saying that gestures as implemented by Samsung aren't intuitive or efficient. It literally requires more effort out of the user and, unless someone has your unique problem, it doesn't actually offer any benefit. Sure, you can say you get more screen, but who honestly even looks at the space near the navigation or status bars on their phone during regular use and interaction within apps?

It takes effort to flick your finger upwards? Not for me it doesn't. I personally prefer Samsung's implementation far better than any I've used, and that's includes my iPhone XS (which has too many dead ends in certain apps especially games) . They've made it so simple and intuitive.

And yes, when I'm in an app and I swipe up, I have hit the back button and exited the app when I didn't intend to... It's annoying.

YMMV.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
It takes effort to flick your finger upwards? Not for me it doesn't. I personally prefer Samsung's implementation far better than any I've used, and that's includes my iPhone XS. They've made it so simple and intuitive.

And yes, when I'm in an app and I swipe up, I have hit the back button and exited the app when I didn't intend to... It's annoying.

Sounds like you're in the minority.

It takes MORE effort. You're literally moving your finger further down, then moving it further to complete the action than simply tapping.

I know I'm in the minority. I don't just accept things that are new as better just because they're different.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It takes MORE effort. You're literally moving your finger further down, then moving it further to complete the action than simply tapping.

I know I'm in the minority. I don't just accept things that are new as better just because they're different.

It's not even something I think about. It just comes naturally. Less accidental touches, less accidently exiting an app before I'm ready. If it's slightly more effort.. It is WORTH IT. 😉

For me anyway. But luckily it's not even something worth worrying about as Samsung includes BOTH methods. But as someone who was never a big fan of Samsung's capacitive buttons, this wasn't a change for change sake. It was a breath of fresh air.

Chris Williams8

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Can you put Samsung Pay on your Always On Display like I can do with my Note 9?

You could just swipe up on your Always on Display before the phone wakes up.

I like it but for a few niggles.
Notification light. Nuff said.
I miss the home button. The way it is set up with samsung pay / lockscreen / face ID / rise to wake. It's kinda wonky. I like rise to wake, but with face ID it's unlocked my phone before I can get to samsung pay. Using swipe gestures can't have samsung pay on the homescreen. I put the SP app on my homescreen but I don't want it there. And since swipe FP sensor to open SP doesn't work.
I have the white so having to put a case on it is annoying. Sides just haee zero grip.
Screen can be weird at times, lke, colors get off. AOD I have set on the nearly red color, sometimes it looks purple. They screen can also look faded when supposed to be white.

it easily outhandles my N8.
SmartSelect_20190615-011609_Samsung%20Pay.jpeg

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I got this phone free when my wife upgraded her S8+. Coming from a Moto G5 Plus the One UI interface took a little getting used to. I had to delete and disable a ton of carrier and Samsung bloatware (huge con IMO). However, the performance, battery life, display, available memory (128gb) and overall look of the S10e more than make up for that. The phone is actually smaller than the G5 Plus although having a slightly larger screen. I am thoroughly enjoying my new S10e.

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Like the phone and all it offers, however the vibration notifications seem very week. Unable to feel much at all without a case and with a min case not likley at all. The intensity level does very little to inprove this. Just wish it was stronger!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Like the phone and all it offers, however the vibration notifications seem very week. Unable to feel much at all without a case and with a min case not likley at all. The intensity level does very little to inprove this. Just wish it was stronger!

That's too bad about the intensity. You could always download Textra - you can at least customize the vibration patterns for texts and calls, so that may be something that could help.