Shorter battery life with Kit Kat on the Nexus 4?

4ringsa6

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
ery8eba4.jpg
yzy2epad.jpg

Sent from my Nexus quattro

sduda210

May 3, 2012
Visit site
On my low usage days it seems like I have more battery at the end of the day but they may have changed the algorithm used to calculate the battery percentage. On medium to heavy usage its the same.
Today I did have an extreme case where the battery was almost dead by mid day with very little use. Better battery stats showed no wakelocks. Hopefully that doesn't continue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4ringsa6

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
BBS doesnt work on 4.4 due to google locking up battery stats department. Its only accessible once rooted.

Posted via Android Central App

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
On my low usage days it seems like I have more battery at the end of the day but they may have changed the algorithm used to calculate the battery percentage. On medium to heavy usage its the same.
Today I did have an extreme case where the battery was almost dead by mid day with very little use. Better battery stats showed no wakelocks. Hopefully that doesn't continue.

Are you sure bbs works properly on 4.4? Google removed something 3rd party apps like wakelock detector depend on. Wouldn't surprise me if bbs is broken too.

mohsinkhan35

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine is improved. Before the update i was getting 16 hr battery life, after the update i am getting 1 day. Thats 24 HOURS! Mind you though, i am mostly txting, and browsing internet.

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure bbs works properly on 4.4? Google removed something 3rd party apps like wakelock detector depend on. Wouldn't surprise me if bbs is broken too.

Yeah those apps dont work anymore, not unless one roots his phone. Then it will work. Pretty disappointed.

As for me it hasn't even been 24hrs since the update but I've had it running all day since fully charged this morning on 4.4 and my battery life is holding up well. Definitely not worse. I'd say more or less of the same. I'm 6 hours on battery with 40% left.. 2.5 hrs SOT but that's all with playing Madden 25 and Deerhunter 2014 for about 1.5 hrs total combined, so I'd say this battery life is pretty good so far.

As for ART, I tries it yesterday for about an hour and definitely noticed an improvement in performance. My N4 was definitely faster and this was very noticeable when pressing on the app switcher. It was almost instant where as on dalvik it took a couple more split seconds. Whatsapp didn't work though, as has been reported by many, so I went back to dalvik for now buy during my short use with ART I was thoroughly impressed and I can't wait for it to finally be the default. I will eventually turn it on again and test it against my brother's N4 on dalvik to really get a feel about its attribution to performance.

I am pretty ticked that Google decided battery stats can no longer be available to devs. I find this was such an advantage of Android, letting us users explore the potential of our devices. Those battery and wake lock apps were so crucial to diagnosing battery related drains that no other platform really matches up to. Google's openness allowed this to be possible and lately all I see is Google turning more into Apple and more closed. Notably because of this battery stats thing, plus all the good features of 4.4 are only available on the N5 just because "they can" so that they sell more N5s. There's another example I have which I can't remember at the moment but if I do anytime soon I will edit this post and add at the end.

PS: sorry for the long post.

Edit: here's another reason https://dolphinbrowser.desk.com/cus...id-4-4-how-do-i-enable-flash-player-?b_id=317

Thanks Google.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
what is ART and what is Google Exp. launcher ??

ART is the new experimental run time Google implemented in 4.4 (the current one is called Dalvik). It's mainly there so developers can mess with it and optimize their apps for it. Some people claim it speeds up apps and/or improves battery life, but others feel it's more of a placebo effect. You need to have developer options turned on first in order to get the option to activate it. Personally I wouldn't bother.

The Google Experience Launcher, or GEL, is the launcher that comes with the Nexus 5. It's the one with Google Now living permanently just to the left of your main home screen, and the transparency effects. Technically it's currently exclusive to the Nexus 5, but you can easily sideload it on your Nexus 4 (or 7, or whatever) if you want. The link is floating around the forums.

phaidros

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes battery life of my Nexus is worse with 4.4. It is the mailer which uses a lot of battery (in the background) although
I did not change anything related to syncing.

Andy Bell

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Had 4.4 for a few days now, I did notice I needed to stick my phone on charge a little earlier today than I normally do.

The main thing I'm noticing though is that it seems to be taking quite a bit longer to charge than it used to.

spencer100

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine seems to be worse battery life, was down to 30% by 11am today. Normally would be at that % around 2pm. Going to calibrate the battery and see how it goes. Will let you know

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I got way better battery life when I was stock. I use Franco kernel now though, of course that's even better:p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
For me also, the battery percentage seems to drop more quickly with 4.4. Location Services is set to Battery Saving.

What is the thinking on whether a battery saver app helps or not? If an app helps, which one is the best?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582