Should you feel bad supporting Samsung (a foreign company)?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone ever feel conflicted supporting a foreign company (Samsung) vs. a home grown American Company (Apple). While I am a strong supporter of Android and always will be sometimes I feel Un - American not supporting an American Company. I think we can all agree that Samsung probably did copy to some degree. Nonetheless, I more than anyone do not like Apple and their culture/products. I guess my patriotism is tugging at me! ;)

BTW, I come from a 2 platform household. I am Android, my wife and 2 daughters are Iphone. I have tried to convince/sway them over to Android but they are not having any of that. In a way I am glad as the first sign of trouble I would be blamed for them going with Android.

I do not feel guilty about it in the least. If companies like Apple, or Motorola want my business they need to offer me quality products at a price I like. They also need to treat me right. That is something that Motorola did not do. Especially in the last year or two. First they put out the Xoom claiming that it might be upgraded to 4G LTE within weeks of its release. That didn't happen. The upgrades didn't begin until shortly before the release of the Xyboard.

Then we had that fiasco with the late release of the Bionic, followed quickly by the release of the RAZR, then the Maxx. All of which seem to have some sort of issue with the switch between 3G and 4G LTE... ie focusing on quantity over quality.. In my opinion.

Sent using my Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: chevyman29

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Apple is NOT a homegrown American company. They manufacture nothing in the USA, that is why all their products have that cheesy tramp stamp on it that says "Designed in California"

I don't have a problem buying a foreign froduct from a foreign company...and I am a pure breed American Chevy and V-Twin chopper guy...and I DO NOT shop at Wal-Mart, ever!!!!

I will not buy products from a company that has all their stuff made over seas and claims to be a true American company. If Samsung was based in the US and was making everything over seas and claimed to be an American company, I wouldn't buy from them either.

That is the main reason I do not buy from Apple. Unchangeable batteries, locked eco system, tiny screens, blah blah blah just adds to it. Apple can suck it!

I will go buy more Samsung goods until a TRUE American made smartphone come available! Like that will ever happen!

Apple's opening court statement...
"It's easier to copy than Innovate"

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
All this apple courtroom drama will have one likely outcome, stifled competetion for them, how many shapes can a phone take, how many ways can you use a search function, I will buy anything but apple from now on, seems all the super moderators are closet ifanatics, comon guys step away from the dark side

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't feel bad. Hardly anything is made here in U.S.A. anymore. Products that are made here are usually more expensive. Case and Point. My edenpure heater. I bought the American made one because my dad actually rolled the metal for it. It was $100 bucks more, but has a 5 year warranty over a 3 year with the china made one. If it didn't have a direct family influence, I would have bought the chinese one.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It will always amaze me when people state that if Apple brings all manufacturing to the US our prices will double and sometimes tripple. This is not even close to true. The problem here ladies and gentlemen is that Apple (especially) nor any company that built it's success from hard working American dollars no longer pratice the patriotism they should. Apple could very well manufacture every part of the the Iphone right here in the US and not raise the price one penny and still profit 50 billion in one year. But the problem lies in the market and the downright greed of the investor. If Apple doesn't meet it's profit goals of 78+ billion but still makes a substantial profit of 50billion the investor is still angry and the stock price falls. I mean who fusses about 50 billion in NET?.. In other words if we band together and fight against the greed and corruption of the system then we all win. Isn't it sickening to you that if a companies stock price falls 15% the first thing that is cut is the people that helped the company grow in the first? What ever happening to a rises stock due to the sustainablity and long life existence? That doesn't work anymore because if you don't beat that record breaking 78 billion you lose!!!

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I think it's ironic that in that, in this case, supporting an American company would be UN-American. Apple gets its stuff from Samsung, and has their products assembled in our biggest competitor's country--China. Samsung, on the other hand, invested in creating jobs for Americans. People are just fooled by Apple, unfortunately.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
its a global economy. im scottish and would rather buy Belgian beer than Scotch whiskey lol. the only homegrown thing i buy is illegal ;)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It is patently absurd to think that the Apple would absorb a $28 billion profit hit just to manufacture their products in the US. US wages whether unionized or not would be several times higher and you would expect Apple to absorb this impact to their profit? They also do not control their part sourcing which drives costs even more. Samsung controls part sourcing which gives them an advantage.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It will always amaze me when people state that if Apple brings all manufacturing to the US our prices will double and sometimes tripple. This is not even close to true. The problem here ladies and gentlemen is that Apple (especially) nor any company that built it's success from hard working American dollars no longer pratice the patriotism they should. Apple could very well manufacture every part of the the Iphone right here in the US and not raise the price one penny and still profit 50 billion in one year. But the problem lies in the market and the downright greed of the investor. If Apple doesn't meet it's profit goals of 78+ billion but still makes a substantial profit of 50billion the investor is still angry and the stock price falls. I mean who fusses about 50 billion in NET?.. In other words if we band together and fight against the greed and corruption of the system then we all win. Isn't it sickening to you that if a companies stock price falls 15% the first thing that is cut is the people that helped the company grow in the first? What ever happening to a rises stock due to the sustainablity and long life existence? That doesn't work anymore because if you don't beat that record breaking 78 billion you lose!!!

Oh how horrible, investors looking to make a profit and in many cases a huge profit.

Is this forum and specifically this topic going to morph into one about politics, values, and morals?

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Well considering that I purchased a SS product BEFORE the lawsuit went through. Didn't even know much about it at the time. I am not sure if purchasing a product supports the company per se.

I don't think my paltry $600 beans will make any difference to Samsung.

I think Samsung was guilty of some patent infringement, I mean yes the court and judge and location seemed biased, but unless the patents are invalid, Apple did offer to lease them to SS and they refused. No one to blame but themselves. Hell even Google warned them to not Apple-ify their products (Nexus etc).

I make my purchase decision based on research and the product that fits my needs/desires. So whether it's Samsung or Apple I don't really care unless somehow they are proven to be puppy slayers or something.....

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Their logo was designed by an American firm. LOL

Sent using my Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Well, sorta ;)

From Wikipedia

"Frog (styled as frog) is a global innovation firm founded in 1969 by industrial designer Hartmut Esslinger and partners Andreas Haug and Georg Spreng in Mutlangen, Germany as "Esslinger Design". Soon after it moved to Altensteig, Germany, and then to Palo Alto, California, and ultimately to its current headquarters in San Francisco, California. The name was changed to Frogdesign in 1982 (the name an acronym for Esslinger's home, the Federal Republic of Germany), then to Frog Design in 2000, and finally to frog in 2011. The company has grown to over 1,600 employees worldwide, collaborating across fifteen locations: San Francisco, Austin, New York City, Seattle, Munich, Milan, Shanghai, Amsterdam, Bangalore, Boston, Chennai, Gurgaon, Johannesburg, Kiev, and Vinnitsa."

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a problem buying a foreign froduct from a foreign company...and I am a pure breed American Chevy and V-Twin chopper guy...and I DO NOT shop at Wal-Mart, ever!!!!

I will not buy products from a company that has all their stuff made over seas and claims to be a true American company.

You better look into where your "pure breed American Chevy and V-Twin chopper" are made then. Most Harley's and Chevy's are assembled in the US, sure, but the parts are just as internationally sourced as Apples products are. When the Toyota Camry ranks as the most 'American Made' car in the US your argument has some issues.

The amount of misguided jingoism when it deals with 'buying American' is almost comical, the fact is the world is a much smaller place and the reality is there are very few products made in and by a single nations workforce of any type.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
You better look into where your "pure breed American Chevy and V-Twin chopper" are made then. Most Harley's and Chevy's are assembled in the US, sure, but the parts are just as internationally sourced as Apples products are. When the Toyota Camry ranks as the most 'American Made' car in the US your argument has some issues.

The amount of misguided jingoism when it deals with 'buying American' is almost comical, the fact is the world is a much smaller place and the reality is there are very few products made in and by a single nations workforce of any type.

My Chevy SSR was built in Lansing Michigan and My Big Dog Ridgeback Chopper was built in Wichita, Kansas. I would never buy a Chevy Aveo because it is a Daewoo. Most all the parts on my SSR and my Big Dog are manufactured here in the US and very few imported. I don't have a problem with buying from a Korean company that is making Korean products, The problem is when an American company claims to be American and is outsourcing all their work.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards